The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Deleted scenes details
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2009, 05:18 AM
Fleet Admiral

Default Deleted scenes details

http://www.tnmc.org/The-Blog/star-tr...ou-missed.html

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 07-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Ensign

This is pretty interesting and thanks for posing this. Hopefully these scenes are in the DVD deleted scenes part, but what confused me was the locket thing given to Spock. To me thats a bit weird...

"You will answer me!"

Old 07-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Commander

This film was badly edited. I hope they offer more than one version, seeing the deleted scenes solo doesn't add the same feel of continuity with the story that an uncut version does.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockismyhomeboy012 View Post
This is pretty interesting and thanks for posing this. Hopefully these scenes are in the DVD deleted scenes part, but what confused me was the locket thing given to Spock. To me thats a bit weird...
Shatner in the locket, that's a lame idea! Did they actually shoot Shatner for it? That's such a belittling way of including the Shat. Honestly, what kind of sentimental garbage is that?! Spock wearing a locket from Kirk?!
Old 07-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Thanks.

Most of those scenes were know about and I think a fair few of them exist in a filmed form.

I think the only thing not filmed was the Kirk locket scene. Better it was dropped out. I would have liked to have known more about the line in the scene with Kirk/Spock Prime that addressed the implausibility factor.

Could have been a nice self-referential moment.

It seems that restoring a lot of this material into the film would make it slower and more sluggish.

There's no denying the 25 year gap Nero waited remains one of the biggest obstacles in his development. It seems a lot of those scenes would only have partially addressed the issue.

As would have the killing of Ayel. It could have given more to Nero indeed. But then so could putting more into the mind-meld sequence as well.

I look forward to seeing them on the DVD. Especially if they had completed effectsa nd sound work done on them.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Vice Admiral

Interesting stuff. I can see how pretty much all of them were cut for different reasons. A couple like all the bits about the Klingons would create more questions than answers. The time in prison does add more to Nero's 'state of mind' but would only have worked if a lot of time would have been added to cover it all. Easily escaping wouldnt be believeable. If he couldnt before how did he this time? Was it his ship and crew? Or was the ship and crew under control of the Klingons? If so how did the crew escape and get the ship back?

However if it wasnt under Klingon control then what happened to them during the years Nero was a prisoner? What did they do after the escape? Hide and wait? If the Klingons had the ship why didnt they just use it to quickly beat the feds and everyone else like the other alternates did when the TOS ship went back 100 years? Better to just leave it all a mystery to be worked out and discussed instead in more lengthy passages in a book or other form.

Oh and Spocks birth would have been out of place because the whole movie is about the direct effects of Nero.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Very interesting, and intriguing. I wish that some of these scenes had have been kept. The movie would have been longer*, but I believe the plot's continuity would have been more solid with these details (especially Spock's birth and Kirk's uncle). I enjoyed the movie, however now that I know what I was missing, it seems to be cheapened a little bit. In fact, I would even go so far as to say the story was bruised. I believe it was very unwise to cut some of these scenes. I hope a better quality of discretion will be exercised by those who will edit the next project.
---
*We can't say a longer movie would have deterred viewers, that theory was blown out of the water (pun not intended) with James Cameron's Titanic

Last edited by SouthernSpockette : 07-05-2009 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
Old 07-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Captain

Titanic was 10 years ago. That's a lifetime in movie years. Audiences have changed. Attention spans have shortened. Much more than 2 hours and you lose your audience to the restroom, snack bar, etc.

I think that while this movie could benefit from having some of the deleted scenes replaced, it was good as presented. And the box office doesn't lie.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Vice Admiral

Story not withstanding, most people thought Transformers 2 was far too long. Except I suppose those that think there can never be too much robot on robot action.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Federation Councillor

Both the films could have been trimmed by around 30 mins. There does seem to be a trend for having films around the 2hr 30 mark lately.

Most of it seems to be padding. I just saw Public Enemies on Saturday. Another film that could have lost a good 30-40 mins off it's 144 mins runtime.

courtesy of Saquist