The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > why does it happen?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Well a lot of people tend to reach a pucker factor of 10 at the mere thought of standing before a higher power and being held accountable for their actions, they sure don't want to discuss it. But it's also in the rules. Right beside politics. Which seems to get a free pass.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlin' Wolf View Post
Well a lot of people tend to reach a pucker factor of 10 at the mere thought of standing before a higher power and being held accountable for their actions, they sure don't want to discuss it. But it's also in the rules. Right beside politics. Which seems to get a free pass.
There are also a lot of people who tend to reach a pucker factor of 10 at the mere thought their religion has no more validity then any other religion or belief on our globe and feel personally attacked the moment that gets pointed out and they sure dont want to discuss it.

And by the way, the last time I checked, we all are accountable for our actions by the laws of our according countries.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
And by the way, the last time I checked, we all are accountable for our actions by the laws of our according countries.
what do you mean? I don't get the relevence?

so if I start a thread the Nativity, does it get locked straight away?
Old 07-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Commander

Quote:
There are also a lot of people who tend to reach a pucker factor of 10 at the mere thought their religion has no more validity then any other religion or belief on our globe and feel personally attacked the moment that gets pointed out and they sure dont want to discuss it.

btw, you got pretty testy over people disagreeing with you over climate change.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
what do you mean? I don't get the relevence?

so if I start a thread the Nativity, does it get locked straight away?
Howlin Wolf implyed atheists would refuse to believe in the christian god because they are afraid of a higher authority holding them accountable for their actions. I simply adressed that this argument is invalid, because it forgetts that we all are accountable by the law, no matter what god we believe or do not believe in. Atheists do not propose anarchy. If the argument where valid, then all christians refuse Allah because they are merely afraid of him whilst all muslims dont believe in Jesus because they are afraid of him and both are afraid of Zeus, Jupiter, Thor, Kali.... And that cant be it, can it.

Quote:
btw, you got pretty testy over people disagreeing with you over climate change.
No, I got testy about the ignorance of certain people. Thats something else.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Commander

Quote:
Howlin Wolf implyed atheists would refuse to believe in the christian god because they are afraid of a higher authority holding them accountable for their actions. I simply adressed that this argument is invalid, because it forgetts that we all are accountable by the law, no matter what god we believe or do not believe in. Atheists do not propose anarchy. If the argument where valid, then all christians refuse Allah because they are merely afraid of him whilst all muslims dont believe in Jesus because they are afraid of him and both are afraid of Zeus, Jupiter, Thor, Kali.... And that cant be it, can it.
well. Howlin' is right.
most people don't like being held accountable.... whether or not they are (as you rightly said).
so his point is valid.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Captain

Quote:
well. Howlin' is right.
most people don't like being held accountable.... whether or not they are (as you rightly said).
so his point is valid.
Then the reason you dont believe in Santa Clause is because you are afraid of getting spanked at christmas? Or is the reason actually that one man alone can impossibly be at the home of billions of families at one single night. Whats the reason you do not believe in the flat earth? Because you are afraid of falling of its rim, or because a flat earth doesnt make sense to you?

So, no, the point is not valid.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Commander

Quote:
No, I got testy about the ignorance of certain people. Thats something else.
you have absolutely no right whatsoever to say anybody is ignorant.
especially considering you were unable to offer any valid scientific explanations for your views. links to other people's websites don't count. "standing on the shoulder's of giants..." and all that.

the "scientist" element here has it's own pucker factor to deal with.

why not forbid science related topics too?
Old 07-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Commander

Quote:
Then the reason you dont believe in Santa Clause is because you are afraid of getting spanked at christmas? Or is the reason actually that one man alone can impossibly be at the home of billions of families at one single night. Whats the reason you do not believe in the flat earth? Because you are afraid of falling of its rim, or because a flat earth doesnt make sense to you?

So, no, the point is not valid.
so now your telling me I don't believe in Santa Claus!!

the pucker factor goes all the way up to 11.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:

That's horsesh*t. I've never met anyone of any religion who wasn't prepared to discuss and defend their faith if it was called into question. But don't worry yourself it'll never happen here for the very reason KJTrek stated. The rules allow the wishes of one side but censors the other sides point of view.