The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Moore's Virtuality Bombed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2009, 11:50 PM
Commander

Default Moore's Virtuality Bombed!

While America has watching Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson specials, two deaths completely unforeseen, coming days before the debut of Ronald D. Moore's potential new series, Virtuality, was receiving a virtual death sentance due to lack of viewership, below are the numbers and a link to Sci-Fi now's review of the TV movie/pilot.

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/virtuality-shorts-out/

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/thoughts-on-virtuality/
Old 07-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Federation Councillor

The network didn't seem all that interested even before the broadcast it. Then current events overtook it.

It's ratings failure was a likely turnout.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Fleet Admiral

I totally forgot about it.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

It should have been titled "Earth Star Voyager: the Next Generation."

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Fleet Admiral

I took a look at it and although the initial concept might have only sufficed for perhaps one season, the pilot was terrific. I don't understand why they don't greenlighted the series but then again FOX, having also cancelled Firefly, might be the wrong place to sell it.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I took a look at it and although the initial concept might have only sufficed for perhaps one season, the pilot was terrific. I don't understand why they don't greenlighted the series but then again FOX, having also cancelled Firefly, might be the wrong place to sell it.

You know FOX has been so innovative with some of their programming but since American Idol hit the air they are just one big epic fail at scifi. They're gonna screw around til they make Fringe their latest victim.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Fleet Admiral

That's really a pity, especially when this network has been known to be innovative.
But then again it might not be the network's fault when the pilot aired at such a bad moment, hard to estimate how successful it will be with such distorted ratings.
On the other hand they seem to have aired it on Friday night, the graveyard for any (potential) series.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Commander

Quote:
That's really a pity, especially when this network has been known to be innovative.
But then again it might not be the network's fault when the pilot aired at such a bad moment, hard to estimate how successful it will be with such distorted ratings.
On the other hand they seem to have aired it on Friday night, the graveyard for any (potential) series.
You're damn right those ratings are distored, you would think Fox would take that into consideration. They just cancelled TSCC, so they have an opening for another Sci-fi series. It died on Friday nights also. So Fox had an opening in its timeslot. Fox's other Sci-fi series, Whedon's Dollhouse almost got axed in its Friday night slot also.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Fleet Admiral

It's still sitting on my DVR unwatched. I'll get around to watching it eventually...
Old 07-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I think it seemed, from the 12 mins that I cuaght of the online leaks, that it may have been a show that required a bit of patience and attention. It didn't appear to be instantly grabbing.

Thoughtful, slow burn shows generally have a tough time in todays markets.

Quote:
The Friday night slot was a clear sign the network didn't want it to be a success, IMO. They were just putting on a face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
You're damn right those ratings are distored, you would think Fox would take that into consideration. They just cancelled TSCC, so they have an opening for another Sci-fi series. It died on Friday nights also. So Fox had an opening in its timeslot. Fox's other Sci-fi series, Whedon's Dollhouse almost got axed in its Friday night slot also.
I'm not sure FOX even likes genre programming anymore. That said, they seem to act bizarrely with a lot of their scheduling.

courtesy of Saquist