The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > J.J Abrams confirms his continued Star Trek involvement..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Perhaps it has also something to do with, well, that GEN is one of those two TV-like, non-epic TNG movies?
All the danger (destroying the population of a planet) is in the dialogue and the harm we actually see is caused by the other villains in the movie, so Soran is being pushed a bit away from the spotlight.
He suffers the same fate as the later Nero. The focus in the film was 'handing the torch' and the kind of shoe-horned in nature of how to 'hand the torch' wasn't the best idea they had.

I still feel really that they should never have had any such act (TUC effectively ended things and the cameos at the start weren't even the entire crew anyway).

If they had concentrated only on TNG, he might have had more time, or been redeveloped entirely but stood a chance of greater impact.

I feel he got lost amongst the sea of studio requirements Braga and Moore claimed they were instructed to meet.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
He suffers the same fate as the later Nero. The focus in the film was 'handing the torch' and the kind of shoe-horned in nature of how to 'hand the torch' wasn't the best idea they had.

I still feel really that they should never have had any such act (TUC effectively ended things and the cameos at the start weren't even the entire crew anyway).

If they had concentrated only on TNG, he might have had more time, or been redeveloped entirely but stood a chance of greater impact.

I feel he got lost amongst the sea of studio requirements Braga and Moore claimed they were instructed to meet.
I agree with this, the bridging of the two casts felt forced and hurt the film in my opinion. I think Picard and crew were strong enough to carry that film on their own.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

These are indeed the problems of the movie and the Kirk fanboys, complaining about his death, were not happy with a further appearance anyway.
But when the screen-time of 'handing the torch' is reduced and better interwoven with the plot, people complain about the contrived nature of the Delta Vega part.
Damned Trekkers, never happy.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Bennett said the same thing after being given the job for ST2, that TMP lacked a strong villain and it really hurt it. He had never seen TOS. But when he did go through them all to understand the show and its characters it didnt take him long to pick Khan. There was arguably no greater good/evil battle in the entire series. It worked quite well if you ask me and is why it is constantly held up as the best of all the movies.
I just hope they don't try to create a Biblical mythology out of it, like they did with Transformers, or like they've done with Star Wars. Where you have two sides, one good, one evil battling it out. Anakin is like Lucifer, a Fallen Jedi. Likewise, in the movie version they made Megatron the Fallen Transformer.

Star Trek is too deep for that, it doesn't work as a simplistic good vs. evil type of mythology. It explores the causes of conflict and tries to resolve the matter at a deeper level. There's no conflict to be resolved other than your enemy's elimination, if they are evil.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
These are indeed the problems of the movie and the Kirk fanboys, complaining about his death, were not happy with a further appearance anyway.
But when the screen-time of 'handing the torch' is reduced and better interwoven with the plot, people complain about the contrived nature of the Delta Vega part.
Tis true, tis true!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Commander

Quote:
Hey, I'm happy.

Wired is in day 2 (of 3) of their interview with Alan Dean Foster and he just confirmed that he is writing a nuStar Trek novel and it has a tentative title: Star Trek: Refugees.

This would be the first of the original nuTrek books.

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/07...nfosterpartii/

Old 07-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Hooray!
Old 07-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
Hey, I'm happy.

Wired is in day 2 (of 3) of their interview with Alan Dean Foster and he just confirmed that he is writing a nuStar Trek novel and it has a tentative title: Star Trek: Refugees.

This would be the first of the original nuTrek books.

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/07...nfosterpartii/
Thanks for that link, i enjoyed reading that interview. My guess is Refugees has to do with the Vulcan refugees left over from the destruction of Vulcan. Maybe they're looking to colonize another planet, or integrate into an existing society/planet, maybe Earth? I think ADF is just the right guy to do the first novelization in the AU of Trek.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:26 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
From the recent Saturn Awards.

http://www.collider.com/2009/06/25/j...saturn-awards/

Interesting possiblities regarding the focus of the possible foe of the next film. P.S the video there is just an advert, not to do with Abrams.

The interview is below it.

Thanks for the link.
I hope Abrams does direct the sequel but I won't rest till I know FOR SURE that Bruce Greenwood will be back as Admiral Pike!