The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > World of Warcraft
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Default World of Warcraft

Question: Do you think World of Warcraft is addictive? What is the best way to limit time on the game and stop it from taking over your life?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Vice Admiral

I know a few people that ended up failing out of school cause of World of Warcrack. That's why I'm not going NEAR it until the doctor says, "Jojo, you've got 6 months to live." Then I'll play it 24/7!

The best way to limit it's power is to stay far away from it, or have way more willpower than I.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I guess if a person feels like things are getting out of hand you could always stuff a TV remote up your *** for a reality check.

http://thegrip.wordpress.com/2009/06...ns-into-alien/

Old 06-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Vice Admiral

I wanted to laugh, but the mom in me felt sad for that kid!
Old 06-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
I wanted to laugh, but the mom in me felt sad for that kid!

I bet in the long run it'll be good for him. In the meantime if I was his mom I'd lock my bedroom door at night.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I think my 16 year old is addicted to WOW. He would literally play it all day if I let him. It consumes his time, his interests, and all his priorities. He has Guitar Hero and other X-Box games that he seems able to set aside but World of Warcraft is different. It reminds me of that TNG episode about the game in which Wesley and Data save the day. I must cancel it before school starts in late August but I dread the fight. He'll mope around for weeks and pull all sort of "make mom feel guilty" stuff. I don't know if I should cancel it way before school begins or wait until the last day of summer.

I hate to see him wasting so much time but then he reminds me of how much time I spend on the computer. He says his playing WOW is no different from my getting on this forum about Star Trek. WOW is an interactive game and so is this forum.

I can't wait for college....
Old 06-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Commander

I play Warcraft... I have several characters. I would save my game playing to the end of the day after work and make sure I went to sleep at midnight.

I would do like one or two quest a day or every other day... if I had no other work to do or set aside one day during the week say Saturday and play for several hours. I've done raids but for some reason it doesn't appeal to me too much... probably because my toons are not high enough... one is a level 60 Night Elf Hunter and a level 40 human mage. I've played on and off for over a year... if I play too much I do get tired of the quests. I have simple goals like getting a horse to ride or getting better looking armor, lol... girlie goals. Right now I have too much to do so I've left the game alone for a month now.

http://www.dianahuang.com
Old 06-30-2009, 02:46 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post
I think my 16 year old is addicted to WOW. He would literally play it all day if I let him. It consumes his time, his interests, and all his priorities. He has Guitar Hero and other X-Box games that he seems able to set aside but World of Warcraft is different. It reminds me of that TNG episode about the game in which Wesley and Data save the day. I must cancel it before school starts in late August but I dread the fight. He'll mope around for weeks and pull all sort of "make mom feel guilty" stuff. I don't know if I should cancel it way before school begins or wait until the last day of summer.

I hate to see him wasting so much time but then he reminds me of how much time I spend on the computer. He says his playing WOW is no different from my getting on this forum about Star Trek. WOW is an interactive game and so is this forum.

From what I can gather a cancelled WoW account can be restored at a later time, with all the progress and whatnot retained. So maybe you could do an On/Off Summer thing with him. Either that or limit his time to play. I'm not a parent, so I'm only going by my childhood experience. As a teen, I was obsessed with this game (can't remember it, but it was some sort of medieval based game) and my parents gave me a nice "welcome to real life" talk. My nonexistant social life soon became flamboyant.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:13 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffs79 View Post
From what I can gather a cancelled WoW account can be restored at a later time, with all the progress and whatnot retained. So maybe you could do an On/Off Summer thing with him. Either that or limit his time to play. I'm not a parent, so I'm only going by my childhood experience. As a teen, I was obsessed with this game (can't remember it, but it was some sort of medieval based game) and my parents gave me a nice "welcome to real life" talk. My nonexistant social life soon became flamboyant.
I like the idea of a "Welcome to the Real World" talk. I see too many boys with a round shouldered, vulture like stance from hunching over computers and video games. My son included. Scary. My neighbor is a chiropractor and he says the number one cause of spinal arthritis now is too much sitting in front of the computer.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:43 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post

But here you practice your opinion on things. tell him to get on here for a day. Im sure he'd enjoy it because you discuss topics and get involved, instead of going around killing each other.

But, then again, just wait untiln ST online comes out...