The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > My Transformers rant
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Default My Transformers rant

I'm sick of it. I know you're here too. You're the same jokers who accused George Lucas' Jar Jar Binks of being racist (Jar Jar was a stupid character. Racism had nothing to do with it). But it's not just that, so here's a rant given in a list to all you who just can't go and see a movie and just be entertained. Since this isn't just about Transformers, but about any big budget escapist movie that makes you naysayers hit the roof over trivial matters, I'll be vague and just say "movie name".

To those who think [movie name] is racist: Just stop. Seriously. And you know who it is that calls this movie racist? It's not the black people. Uh uh. Even though that's what [movie name] is supposedly racist against. No, on the contrary. More often than not, it's the people who aren't black. Just looking for crap to complain about.

You: "This movie's racist. It's offensive to... that guy... over there."
That Guy: "Um... no it isn't."

Seriously, stop. Either don't go to the movie, or for the love of god have an open f-ing mind!

To those who complain about product placement: Just Stop. This complaint is getting really old. Look, I can understand it to a point. I can understand the criticism that hey maybe we don't need a shot of some girl drinking Pepsi or something. But you people are livid over something that barely makes up a tenth of the film! I haven't seen Transformers 2 yet, but I'm sure there's some product placement. What I have seen is "Star Trek", and I remember the angry, angry complaints from you cynics of that movie. What... a scene where Uhurah orders a Budweiser and your balls suddenly explode. "Aaaaaaaah!! Product placement!!! My life is ruined!!! RUINED!!!!"

I'm going to tell you something that's probably going to make your eyes melt, but here it goes: I actually like product placement. Yeah, that's right I said it. You see product placement has a double quality. Yes, it creates publicity for the product which is its true surface meaning. But it also adds some realism to the story. Rather than having characters drinking some made up brand like "Mr. Super Soda" or something, they end up drinking a "Pepsi", a real product that exists in our world. I dig that! I really do!

Here's the other thing. You anger management patients didn't used to have a problem with product placement. At least, I didn't hear your complaints when E.T. eats Reese's Pieces or when Superman flings one of the bad guys into a Coca Cola sign in the second movie.

To you conspiracy theorists complaining about how this is a proRepub movie: Just Stop. Yeah, there's tons of desert scenes. Yes, this is a proRepub movie. Yes, Bush is no longer president, but he's still got his hand of Hollywood's tush. Just stop! Seriously. It's bullcrap. You need this to be a propoganda film.

That's to all of you: Just... Stop. Like you need this to be another reason you can make some tired complaint about "mainstream movies". "They are racist, they are full of product placement, and they are propoganda for the GOP."

JUST STOP!

Let the rest of us who like a popcorn flick, enjoy a popcorn flick. Stick to your emo movies and let things be.

P.S. Oh yeah and here's one for you conspiracy theorists. I can tell you that I'm not a Hollywood plant, but I'm pretty sure you won't believe me anyway. So I'm just gonna hop on my pet flying pig and let you talk to the monkeys that just flew out of my butt.

By the way, yes, I posted this same message over at rotten tomatoes, but I toned it down from that to here.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Federation Councillor

Look, it's Transformers, no point getting too het up about it.

The films are love it or hate it propositions. I love them, myself, and really have no particular concern about any single other person's opinion of the film.

It's just a dumb popcorn flick - no need to get so worked up over it.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-25-2009, 10:10 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Look, it's Transformers, no point getting too het up about it.

The films are love it or hate it propositions. I love them, myself, and really have no particular concern about any single other person's opinion of the film.

It's just a dumb popcorn flick - no need to get so worked up over it.
But it's not just about one movie. Really, I've been letting it go for long enough. But after a while it gets to me when people throw a hissy over stupid crap. Like what's more important: that an actor delivered his line well or that he was smoking a Marlborough while doing it?
Old 06-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Federation Councillor

You have to let that go, because you'll never not get people complaining about that stuff. It's in some folks very nature. Guaranteed somebody, somewhere will try and argue this or that about a film.

I generally ignore them. When it comes to those kind of critiques, well, I have real things to worry about in my life. We all do.

Granted, some will be warranted, some will be pure garbage - mileage will vary on that. People throw hissy fits over dumb stuff on a daily basis in the real world.

It's human nature.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Vice Admiral

transformers is fun,just plain fun
Old 06-25-2009, 10:56 AM
Vice Admiral

Bravo, sir! I liked Uhura ordering a Bud cause it gave some continuity to the story.

The only time product placement gave me a headache was in a Bond film... I think it was Moonraker.

People who complain about such things must lead pretty shallow lives... maybe if they got a puppy or a PS3 they'd calm down?
Old 06-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
I'm sick of it. [...] By the way, yes, I posted this same message over at rotten tomatoes, but I toned it down from that to here.
Whom are you talking too? If people don't like a movie because they consider a certain character racist or because they believe that it conveys a political message they don't like, they are free to not watch the movie.
Not that I care about watching a movie with robot-car hybrids.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

I was watching a documentary on George Melies the other night (thanks to Netflix!) and found out that product placement has been with us since the beginning of movies. George used to sell space on his props for various companies. It's always been with us, and it will always be so. As such, I'm not worried about it.

So who's the racial stereotype in Tranny 2? Is Meghan Fox a stereotypical hawt white girl in black leather, or something like that?

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Federation Councillor

In this instance the robotic 'street' brothers that are with Shia and Megan. It's apparently racial stereotyping.

(It convieniently ignores the fact you can actually see people like that every day on the street but.....that's why I take little notice of it as a complaint).

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Fleet Admiral

Gangsta-robots are supposed to be racist? I am really someone who appreciates a normal level of political correctness, but gangsta behaviour is really not racist, not at least because it has more to do with education than skin colour. There are few black people but many gangsta kids here in Germany.