The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > the Paranormal...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2008, 05:50 AM
Midshipman

Default the Paranormal...

I have been studying things that look paranormal most my life. Heres a list of several things I have found that do not have an answer. have any of you found anything equally interesting?

--Buddhist monks can raise their body heat to 110 degrees ferrenheit and dry wet blankets in a freezing cold cave.
--Using what seems to be pain control people can submerge their hands into a flame for some period of time.
--Card Counting though this is more of a skill.
--The blind who can see using echolocation, it was on oprah it must be real!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:02 AM
Commander

I've watched Ghost Hunters on Sci-Fi...
Old 03-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Ensign

Good topic Scott, Haven't had any real paranormal experiences that I'm aware of- and though I'm not religious, I think it's a little naive and pre-mature, and maybe a little arrogant for anyone to assume the spiritual or supernatural does not exist. Even some in mainstream science are begining to speculate that there may be other realities/dimensions beyond what we can ordinarily experience our physical/natural dimension.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

"paranormal" is a word slapped on too many "bumps in the night", so to say
Old 03-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Fleet Admiral

I believe it was Discovery Channel (or some such like) which recently had a special on "superhumans" and part of it focused on a man who could also raise his core body temperature to battle the effects of extreme cold.

While he didn't dry wet blankets or anything so dramatic, he was scientifically studied and measured while sitting in a tank of near-freezing cold water. Most humans would soon begin shuddering uncontrollably, assuming they didn't jump out immediately do to the intense pain experienced. The scientist said most people would pass out after 10 minutes or so... this guy stayed in about 25 minutes submersed up to his neck. He was cold but in no pain at all. Finally he pulled the plug because he was feeling a bit tingly and, I suspect, was bored.

Also, a man born without eyes draws and paints in startling detail -- another scientist gave him the 'ultimate' test of his ability: to draw the Baptistry in Florence, Italy in its correct visual/graphic perspective. Not only had the man never seen the building before, obviously he's never SEEN before. Yet after having the building described to him and feeling its shape in a walk-around, the guy drew it in remarkably accurate perspective... a task many sighted people get wrong.

Long way of saying: there's a great deal of what we consider "supernatural" which is simply unexplained yet by science. We don't know enough to know we can eventually explain such things upon further study.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-26-2008, 04:43 AM
Federation Councillor

The "paranormal" does exist. It's just things our minds are not quite ready to precive...just yet..that's why we have a hard time easily identifying them.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:32 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
The "paranormal" does exist. It's just things our minds are not quite ready to precive...just yet..that's why we have a hard time easily identifying them.
Exactly. In fact, I believe that the paranormal is more of a "normal" reality than many people are willing to accept. Our human minds have far too much of a tendency to retreat to our "comfort zones" (it can also be called pride) when it comes to what "is" and "isn't" comfortable to believe (like God, for example). I guess that's why I just can't be convinced that there's really a such thing as true athiest at heart, because I believe we're all pre-programmed with knowledge of something greater than ourselves--even at the very moment of our birth.

Last edited by SouthernSpockette : 03-26-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Captain

There is just one thing about the "paranormal" or the "supernatural" that annoys me: When science, entertainment and the wish for miracles get mixed with eachother.

If a phenomenon is real it is not supernatural. Nature is everything that exists beyond a humans attention (its there, wether we look at it or not). By definition anything supernatural would be nonexistant.

So, when there are people who could indeed read minds or do other things that astonish us, than its just because its unusual, not supernatural. The whole term is BS.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:34 AM
Federation Councillor

BB-

Paranormal and supernatural do seem to get used interchangably alot.

A mindreader, like you mentioned would be Paranormal by defintion.
Catching a ghost on video, for example, would be supernatural by defintion.