The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek for Oscar? Academy Expands Best Picture to 10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Default Star Trek for Oscar? Academy Expands Best Picture to 10

This obviously doesn't mean an Oscar but even if it just means that Star Trek could actually get nominated for Best Picture.... Wow... That would be like the icing on an already really delicious cake.

"The move could mean typically overlooked genres like sci-fi, comedy and animation could get a crack at the big prize—and could spell good news for this year's biggest hits, Star Trek, The Hangover and Up."

http://ca.eonline.com/uberblog/b1308...ands_best.html

Old 06-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Rear Admiral

A best picture nomination would really be something. I just don't see it happening.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 06-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
A best picture nomination would really be something. I just don't see it happening.
Right. They don't give oscars - even nominations - to scifi films, especially ones that did well at the box office. The oscars are the industry's awards to itself, so they generally go to a film that's considered artsy or high-drama (or both). LOTR got it because Jackson made it into an art film and they couldn't ignore it. They're not going to see ST as deserving of anything more than technical awards. Sorry.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Vice Admiral

Interesting. Problem is, it sounds like the rationale used for this are movies like Wall-E, which already have a specialized category for this very reason. Would this mean that 'Up' this year would maybe get nominations in both?
Old 06-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

sigourney weaver was nominated for best actress for aliens but i cant think of other scifi films.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:00 PM
Admiral

My daughter scorned me when I suggested this meant Star Trek could get a nomination. I personally don't find it that unlikely. This is the movie that jump started the summer in a year when people were focused on "saving money"...it also revitalized a long standing franchise. That has to garner some respect.

Just last year, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was nominated. That is definitely "speculative fiction".

Of course, The Lord of the Rings, Return of the King won an armload of Oscars. And both the earlier movies were nominated.

ET was nominated, as was Raiders of the Lost Ark and the first Star Wars movie.

The Exorcist, A Clockwork Orange....I don't know why there's a belief Star Trek is impossible.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Federation Councillor

IMO - It's not going to happen. The film itself is good, but not in any particularly Oscar-worthy way. Technical awards nominations I can see as possible, or if it's a very weak year, I guess it's possible something could work out but it's not very likely.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 06-24-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:38 PM
Commander

I agree that it's likely the film'll nab technical awards rather than the 'big' prizes, but technical achievements are still good recognition.

Still, there's a chance they might pick up a supporting actor nomination - probably for Urban or Quinto, at a guess.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:09 AM
Commander

The film is entertaining, but not relevant enough for a big nomination, besides technical Awards.
In this Star Trek adaption there isn't any subliminal message, any mirror of our present society, concernig plot and social significance there were "bigger" Star Trek production in the past that weren't nominated for anything.

And who cares if STXI will be nominated as #10 of the 10 nominees, when everyone knows that it wouldn't be nominated if they hadn't been so deign to expande the number of nominees.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
I agree that it's likely the film'll nab technical awards rather than the 'big' prizes, but technical achievements are still good recognition.

Still, there's a chance they might pick up a supporting actor nomination - probably for Urban or Quinto, at a guess.
Both of them are alive, and none of them is already an Academy darling who gets regularly nominated for whatever they are in, so it is unlikely.

There have been better SF, thriller, fantasy and horror movies that never got any nominations, I doubt that ST09 will have any chance. Besides, I don't think it was produced with the goal of aiming at Oscars or that this would be a goal of the Paramount publibity machine - and Oscar nominations and awards are very much a result of lobbying.