The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Enlisted personnel in ST?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Lieutenant

Yeah Spock's canon age is only slightly older than Kirk so he would have been in his early twenties 13 years before TOS which is quite young, especially for a Vulcan. No wonder he was so emotional!

Alternate Spock is a full commander in his late twenties, which is young (and certainly younger than he was in the Prime universe), but is about the same as Riker and Will Decker. Making alternate Kirk a captain at 25 after only one mission is taking it a bit too far though.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Rear Admiral

It's a bit of a stretch by today's standards, but long ago, a ship captain was a ship captain, regardless of age or experience. It was ability that mattered, and a captain only kept his command as long as he proved himself able to keep it, either to his crew or the admiralty.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln6 View Post
Yeah Spock's canon age is only slightly older than Kirk so he would have been in his early twenties 13 years before TOS which is quite young, especially for a Vulcan. No wonder he was so emotional!

Alternate Spock is a full commander in his late twenties, which is young (and certainly younger than he was in the Prime universe), but is about the same as Riker and Will Decker. Making alternate Kirk a captain at 25 after only one mission is taking it a bit too far though.
28 years. (25 past Kelvin + 3 at SFA). Still on the young side but probably not too much younger than Kirk when he first made captain the usual way. I think he was 30. Maybe a bit more.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Lieutenant

No, that's what I thought originally but this story takes place in 2258, which means Kirk is 25. If it had been 2261 and he'd been 28 then even Chekov's age would have been about right and the other characters would not have been tweenagers (Uhura is only 19 in 2258). It's aminor gripe but too many of them are too young really.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Vice Admiral

Hmmm.....

So that would mean he enlisted at 22? I guess that would make him 25. I dont remember but where is the 2258 date said?
Old 07-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Lieutenant

I think they mention the 25-year period after the three years at the Acadamy.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Vice Admiral

Ok checked. Yup 25, since Spock arrived 25 years after Nero. I suppose he didnt hang onto Spock very long until he marooned him. Then after that didnt wait long to get rid of Vulcan.