The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > I saw the movie posters for the new Sherlock Holmes film today.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
C'mon - Watson was wayyyyy to dedicated to Holmes to be 'just friends.' When I first read the books I was 10 or 11 years old, and even then I was pissed of when Watson got married off to Mary.
That cheating bastard!
I somehow get the feeling there's going to be much controversey with this one....and not with the media, so much the fans and internet as always.
Hell, even the Superherohype! reports on this film.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Rear Admiral

I saw the trailer and unfortunately it reminded me of Van Helsing. Ritchie's taking a classic character and trying to turn him into a action hero with modern sensibilities. meh! It doesn't bode well.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 06-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Federation Councillor

Trailers can be deceptive, and will focus on the populist elements. Once again, until seeing the film no-one can know whether it will work for them not.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko Kea View Post
Although I know trailers can be misleading, it appears they are going for a lot of action. And, I never thought of Holmes as a being much of a fighter. I hope they are not sacrificing character development for a superhero type.
actually, in the original stories Holmes was an expert in several forms of combat - boxing, martial arts, sword fighting and pistol (although I believe Watson was the better marksman) - but those abilities were called upon very rarely.
in a movie, those abilities would have to be put to use. however, I've seen footage (not just the trailer) and read most of the screenplay and this is not remotely anything like SHERLOCK HOLMES.
RDJ plays Holmes like a Tony Stark with his soul missing - a complete scumbag. McAdams is completely wasted in this (her abilities I mean). Law looks completely uninterested.

Chris Nolan was born to make a SHERLOCK HOLMES movie with Christian Bale and Ewan McGregor.

but that chance is gone.

JEREMY BRETT FOREVER
Old 06-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
I saw the trailer and unfortunately it reminded me of Van Helsing. Ritchie's taking a classic character and trying to turn him into a action hero with modern sensibilities. meh! It doesn't bode well.
VAN HELSING was awesome.
sherlock holmes will not.

I can't see people running to the bookstore after seeing this.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Federation Councillor

Van Helsing awesome? Wow, I think you're the first person I've ever seen or heard refer to it in such a way.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Van Helsing awesome? Wow, I think you're the first person I've ever seen or heard refer to it in such a way.
I know one other guy.
although he is a tool

what was not awesome about VAN HELSING?
fantastic special effects, Dracula, werewolves, Frankenstein's Monster, David Wenham, Kate Beckinsale, Vampire Bomb and the Brides of Dracula

what's not to love??
the Mr. Hyde VFX was fairly bad at the start but the rest of the effects was out of this world
Old 06-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Federation Councillor

It's very interesting how we all like different things along the way.

I mean, given all the Transformers hullaballoo - where I confess to enjoying it, and even on a level Van Helsing, I found Van Helsing an equally incoherent mess of CGI, bad acting (Beckinsale is knockout but her delivery is a disaster), and that's it's too packed with those characters who get no real part to play in anything.

Plus vastly overdone effects - it's not scary except for the fact it got made.

This is what I was referring to in another thread. When it comes to empty blockbusters, it's funny what works for some and what doesn't for another. I guess the generic formula actually leads to a wider set of outcomes!!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Commander

my own hullabaloo over TRANSFORMERS is the abence of TRANSFORMERS... Hollywood's bizarre belief that an audience need human characters to relate to relate to in movies like TRANSFORMERS is madness... we just want giant robots fighting.

VAN HELSING was an original property. it had no past to live up to. it was all about the special effects and action. I personally don't care about character development in a movie about an immortal amnesiac who fights vampires and werewolves. Dracula wants to rule the world. Van Helsing wants to stop him. Cool. Go for it.

it was also the first time since LETHAL WEAPON 3 that I shed a tear at a movie. more than one actually. poor Vasn Helsing
Old 06-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Federation Councillor

True, Van Helsing had nowt to live up to so succeeded in meeting that expectation. Personally re Transformers I'm quite happy to have Megan Fox trotting about. She's a comepletely superflous character - but nice to have her along!

P.S The Coronation Street guy has about two lines of dialogue and no real part so I wouldn't worry about him in T2!

courtesy of Saquist