The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > I saw the movie posters for the new Sherlock Holmes film today.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Federation Councillor

I'll only say again - don't expect fidelity to the original in every little detail. This movie was never promoted as being a literal version. It's a 'new' apprach. If you expect close attention to be paid to traditional Holmes -

This might not be your thing.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Lieutenant

Although I know trailers can be misleading, it appears they are going for a lot of action. And, I never thought of Holmes as a being much of a fighter. I hope they are not sacrificing character development for a superhero type.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
I think it was on this site on an old Holmes thread. I mentioned being a longtime Holmes fan and Someone mentioned the film and said something about the film and mentioned that it would explore a very dark side of Holmes or something along those lines, and that I probably wouldn't like it for that reason. That, and the by-line on Watson's poster "Crime Will Pay" don't bode too well.
Geeez, a dark side to a guy with a coke habit who routinely commits crimes? How will they do that?
I confess to being a Homes canonista, and so can say with confidence that Holmes WAS a criminal, but he broke the law in the name of "good." Breaking & entering, assault, fraud, entrapment, menacing... that's what our good detective and doctor are supposed to do.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Ensign

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Geeez, a dark side to a guy with a coke habit who routinely commits crimes? How will they do that?
I confess to being a Homes canonista, and so can say with confidence that Holmes WAS a criminal, but he broke the law in the name of "good." Breaking & entering, assault, fraud, entrapment, menacing... that's what our good detective and doctor are supposed to do.
Much like the agents of the IMF (Impossible Missions Force) in the Mission: Impossible TV show and movies.

Also, Holmes was a cokehead, don't forget.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:04 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
I think it was on this site on an old Holmes thread. I mentioned being a longtime Holmes fan and Someone mentioned the film and said something about the film and mentioned that it would explore a very dark side of Holmes or something along those lines, and that I probably wouldn't like it for that reason. That, and the by-line on Watson's poster "Crime Will Pay" don't bode too well.
So you are making a leap of logic and inferring without real evidence that this "dark side" of Holmes must be that he's going to commit some crime due to the statement on the poster? Come, Watson, where's the logic in that? It's not like Holmes was all sweetness and light in the books. They are probably going to capitalize on the drug addiction, as that was the most notable dark thing he did and it was thrown out the window in most, if not all, the previous films about him. So now they will focus on it. If I have to venture what will happen, it's likely that in the end, Moriarty will best him because of the drug addiction. None of this turns Holmes into something he was not, unless your version of Holmes was the (prior) film version.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:09 AM
Vice Admiral

Is this a good time to bring up the slash side to all of this???
Old 06-25-2009, 07:52 AM
Fleet Admiral

Robert Downey, that movie has to rock. Sounds pretty interesting:

"I think me and Guy are well-suited to working together. The more I look into the books, the more fantastic it becomes. Holmes is such a weirdo." Downey also revealed what his wife had to say: "that when you read the description of the guy – quirky and kind of nuts – it could be a description of me." Downey intends to focus more on Holmes' patriotic side and his bohemianism, and felt that his work on Chaplin has prepared him for an English accent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes_(2009_film)
Old 06-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Is this a good time to bring up the slash side to all of this???
Is nothing sacred?!
Old 06-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Federation Councillor

Not in the 21st Century internet age.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko Kea View Post
Is nothing sacred?!
C'mon - Watson was wayyyyy to dedicated to Holmes to be 'just friends.' When I first read the books I was 10 or 11 years old, and even then I was pissed of when Watson got married off to Mary.