The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > I saw the movie posters for the new Sherlock Holmes film today.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Commander

Default I saw the movie posters for the new Sherlock Holmes film today.

Robert Downey Jr. as Holmes and Jude Law as Watson. It might have actually been a great Holmes film if they hadn't made the most famous detective in literary history into a criminal. At least, that's what I've heard they're going to do. What a shame, it's like someone is trying to destroy the very idea of Holmes. I've waited a long time to get another good Holmes picture and now they're making Holmes and Watson evil. What a tragedy.
The posters were nice looking and the costumes quite authentic to the late 1880's however.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Commander

Wouldn't pay too much attention to stuff you've "heard", since we've all seen how the internet is full of nitwits who'll grasp at a single image or even a single word, and inflate it into some dumb notion that "ruins" the entire work.

You've heard that Holmes is 'a criminal' in the new movie - which could simply mean he commits a crime. That's an incredibly far cry from "they're making Holmes and Watson evil. What a tragedy. "

From what I've heard, the film's gonna do a lot more justice to Watson's character. Instead of the bumbling, clueless sidekick seen in some films, they're going to give due respect to him being both a doctor and a military veteran who served in Afghanistan - extremely broad and valuable experience, and given weight in the original books.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:57 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
It might have actually been a great Holmes film if they hadn't made the most famous detective in literary history into a criminal. I've waited a long time to get another good Holmes picture and now they're making Holmes and Watson evil. What a tragedy.
The real tragedy is you thinking that someone is automatically evil because they've been labelled a criminal.

Robin Hood was branded a criminal. Is he evil?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:25 AM
Commander

I wouldn't judge this one too quickly; I'm content to wait and see myself.
That, and just the thought of RDJ portraying the greatest detective of all time
(aside from the Batman XD).
Old 06-24-2009, 07:16 AM
Vice Admiral

Holmes committed PLENTY of canon crimes!
Old 06-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
Robert Downey Jr. as Holmes and Jude Law as Watson. It might have actually been a great Holmes film if they hadn't made the most famous detective in literary history into a criminal.
What exactly have you heard about this and where have you heard it?

You know, it could be nothing more than Holmes having to solve a crime that would implicate him if he can't find out who really committed it.

Somebody hears/reads that and tells someone else, who promptly tells the next person that "Holmes is accused of a crime." The next time it's told it's converted into "Holmes commits a crime."

This is then heard by a canonophile (know any of those?) who decides it completely 'ruins' Holmes, so that the movie will stink, and this canonophile tells all his canonophile friends, who thrash the movie thoroughly in a very public way (that couldn't happen, could it?)

Have you ever played that game where one thing is whispered to someone, who is required to repeat it in a whisper to the next person, who whispers it to the next, so that by the time it's been through 10 people, it's unrecognizable?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Federation Councillor

The entire movie is a reconceiving of the Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson stories anyway (wonder if they'll keep his drug addiction in?) so I would generally be prepared for more than a few changes from the books, past adaptions and the TV series etc.

However, that's always been known from the start of the project, so I'd say go in with no preconceptions.

The trailer is actually quite appealing, and the overall storyline is supposed to blend elements together from some of the early Holmes stories, including the very first one written.

Plus, Rachel McAdams is in it!!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohna View Post
What exactly have you heard about this and where have you heard it?

You know, it could be nothing more than Holmes having to solve a crime that would implicate him if he can't find out who really committed it.

Somebody hears/reads that and tells someone else, who promptly tells the next person that "Holmes is accused of a crime." The next time it's told it's converted into "Holmes commits a crime."

This is then heard by a canonophile (know any of those?) who decides it completely 'ruins' Holmes, so that the movie will stink, and this canonophile tells all his canonophile friends, who thrash the movie thoroughly in a very public way (that couldn't happen, could it?)

Have you ever played that game where one thing is whispered to someone, who is required to repeat it in a whisper to the next person, who whispers it to the next, so that by the time it's been through 10 people, it's unrecognizable?
I think it was on this site on an old Holmes thread. I mentioned being a longtime Holmes fan and Someone mentioned the film and said something about the film and mentioned that it would explore a very dark side of Holmes or something along those lines, and that I probably wouldn't like it for that reason. That, and the by-line on Watson's poster "Crime Will Pay" don't bode too well.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Commander

I'm a life long Holmes fan. I was reading Doyle's stories before I ever heard of TREK.

I most certainly will do not judge this (or any movie) on what I "heard".

I judge it on what I see - and what I see is awful .....
Old 06-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Lieutenant

I want to see this movie I like when he said dont be afraid under this pillow is the key to my release