The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Literature > Novels, Novellas, Short Stories > Two books I'm interested in, The Lost Years and The Return.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default Two books I'm interested in, The Lost Years and The Return.

What can you tell me about The Lost Years and The Return?

Is The Lost Years set between TOS and TMP? What is the main plot of the story?

Does The Return touch on the origin of V'Ger and how it may be connected with The Borg? How is this plotline handled? Is it good?
Old 12-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
What can you tell me about The Lost Years and The Return?

Is The Lost Years set between TOS and TMP? What is the main plot of the story?

Does The Return touch on the origin of V'Ger and how it may be connected with The Borg? How is this plotline handled? Is it good?

Synopsis from "The Lost years" book jacket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lost Years
The Lost years tells the story of Captain Kirk's final hours in command of the USS Enterprise, and how he, Mr. Spock and Dr. McCoy struggle to establish new lives apart from each other and the starship. We see the newly promoted Admiral Kirk, in charge of a specially created Starfleet division, as he attempts to defuse a critical hostage situation; Mr. Spock, who in the midst of a teaching assignment on Vulcan, finds the one thing he least expected; Dr. McCoy, whose unerring instinct for trouble lands him smack inthe middle of an incident that could trigger an interstellar bloodbath....
It's actually not a bad read. Wish they would have continued with additional stories from that era.

Synopsis from "The Return" book jacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return
Veridian III: A world has been saved, the USS Enterprise 1701-D lies in ruins, and one of the galaxy's greatest heroes rests beneath a simple cairn of rocks on a lonely hillside. But as a legendary Vulcan ambassador comes at last to the grave of his best and dearest friend, the adventure is only beginning.

For the Borg and the Romulan Empire have joined forces in an unholy alliance against the United Federation of Planets, and their ultimate weapon is none other than James T. Kirk, resurrected by mysterious alien science to destroy the Borg's most formidable enemy, Jaen-Luc Picard.
It's ok and entertaining.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Thanks. I think I need to pick up both of them.
What about the Borg/V'Ger connection? Is that explored at all?
V'Ger is a story element that has always fascinated me. I've always wished that it would be explored more in depth. I would love to see a TNG story where the crew has an encounter with the merged V'Ger/Decker entity. And, of course, I would love to know much more about V'Ger's origin, particularly since there seems to be some sort of tie-in with the Borg. I'm particularly fond of the idea that V'Ger created the Borg as a means to more completely fulfill its own programming; learn all that is learnable. I love the paradox in that the Federation's greatest enemy/threat in the 24th century may have been born as a result of our own creation way back in the 20th century.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
V'Ger is a story element that has always fascinated me. I've always wished that it would be explored more in depth. I would love to see a TNG story where the crew has an encounter with the merged V'Ger/Decker entity. And, of course, I would love to know much more about V'Ger's origin, particularly since there seems to be some sort of tie-in with the Borg. I'm particularly fond of the idea that V'Ger created the Borg as a means to more completely fulfill its own programming; learn all that is learnable. I love the paradox in that the Federation's greatest enemy/threat in the 24th century may have been born as a result of our own creation way back in the 20th century.
They do mention V'Ger in "The Return" but don't really go into a lot of depth. It's more like, yeah V'Ger was at the Borg home planet, they reprogrammed it, and set it on it's way.

Have a read at this.
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/V'Ger
Old 12-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

i thought the inference was that the upshot of vger was the borg being created by the events of TMP
Old 12-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Ensign

That's an interesting concept, that we inadvertantly created the borg. From what I can remember, V'ger was created from one of the first space craft originally named Voyager. I don't know how it created an identity and a personality though. If you can call it a personality.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:

In the following book of that series, "Ashes of Eden" or it could be "Avenger" Either one I believe it has been a long time since I have read them...anyway Spock is captured by the Romulan /Borg and is of no further use to the Romulans. Subsequently is now handed over to the Borg for assimilation. Upon begining the process of assimilation a scan of Spock determines he has already been assimilated into the borg collective and has been st free. A simple query by Spock to the Borg data base concludes that Spock has already thought patterns closely resembling that of the borg due to his mind meld with V'Ger
Old 01-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Lieutenant

Except the Borg have existed since the 1400s...
Old 01-22-2010, 01:54 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

That I'm not sure about, I havent read those books yet. I finally bought The Return yesterday a small book store. And I bought The Lost Years off of ebay around December, but havent read them yet. Anyways I have never read these books before, but heard about them before from one of these Star Trek sites on one of these comunity boards. So I decide to buy them and check them out for myself.I'm starting quite a collection on Star Trek books so I have lot to read yet. I'm still reading The Criucable Series McCoy which I started reading about a month or so ago but havent finnsihed reading yet.I sometimes get in the mood and will read until I'm completly finnshed, thats if I get real involved with it. And sometimes I read when I'm in the mood to. So whenever I'm finnshed with that one, I might start reading one of those but not sure which yet, or I might choose one of the other books. I have quite a collection of Star Trek books,so I dont know which will be the next one I will read. Does anybody have any suguestions of which of these two I should read first? Should I read The Lost Years first or The Return? I'll eventually get around to reading them, I just want any sugestions of which of these two I should read before the other.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

when it comes to MAIN Timeline and Shat Timeline i just smile and nod my head other wise it will give you a headache