The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Rand and others possible in next Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2009, 06:42 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Youre right it would. Which is why I didnt in any way have her in mind for the role.

"Security" would be internal. "Tactical" would be a better description but the word just doesnt have a ring to it. But it all does begin to sound like a Worf type role. Probably in actual use two different people would serve these functions since they are different jobs. But its only a movie hehe.
I think that it would be nice to have someone in a similar position as Worf in TNG. It seems logical. I also don't think it's unreasonable to have that person double as security chief because he would monitor the internal ship's security from his tactical station. I sort of agree with you that Rand wouldn't be really appropriate for that job. But it would be cool to have a new female character in that position.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
In that context, I'd like to offer up Kristen Bell for the Rand character....she's perfectly capable of portraying "smart and strong and brave" while exuding "sexy youthfulness
I like Kristin Bell, but I don't think it would be a good idea to have 2 actors so closely associated with Heroes in the film. True, perhaps by that time Heroes will have been cancelled who knows, still. Sylar is such a strong character it took me a bit of time to stop seeing that, so having Elle/Kristin in the mix might compound this for viewers who have seen Heroes. If you saw Zach and Kristin in scenes together, the first thing you might think of is Sylar and Elle's relationship.

Last edited by Gorn's Mistress : 06-24-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:16 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilEyes View Post
There was at least one other woman on the bridge, though - a background role, played by an actress who seems vaguely familiar, probably from a TV show. Why wouldn't she be given a bigger role in the next movie? Not every supporting character has to be from TOS.
The actress is
Amanda Foreman
, she's been on Alias and Felicity.

I knew that she looked familiar, and I figured she had to be on one of J.J.'s shows. He likes to employ the same people all over again - Grunny, Rachel Nichols, Amanda Foreman... Even Keri Russell was in talks about a role in Star Trek a couple of years ago (and from what she said - that they realized that the role would have been too similar to her previous roles - I am sure she was in talks to play Chapel, when Chapel was still supposed to have a role in the movie. Who can forget Felicity's endless pathetic mooning over Ben? [I certainly can't, because I hated it! It didn't get any better even after they got together! ] )
Old 06-24-2009, 08:20 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I'd like to offer up Kristen Bell for the Rand character....she's perfectly capable of portraying "smart and strong and brave" while exuding "sexy youthfulness".
While I absolutely do love everything I've seen Kristen Bell having acted in (the musical Reefer Madness is a must see) I think she has become something of "too-big-of-a-name" for Star Trek. Karl Urban and Eric Bana were already pushing the envelope. Quinto and Pine were still relative unknowns (despite Heroes' popularity). I first saw Pine in Smokin' Aces as one of the crazy brothers and he did leave a memorable impression.

I think if such a character were to appear (and I'm still at a loss as to why exactly Rand is needed) I'd much rather see a 'relative unknown' - someone like Kaley Cuoco take the role. Her work on Big Bang Theory is outstanding; the show was renewed for 2 additional seasons before the second season ended. You just don't see that with mainstream tv.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Lieutenant

If KB played Rand, her Rand could very easily end up having more chemistry with Spock than Kirk.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Admiral

I don't see Kristen Bell as being that big a star. I can only think of one movie she was in and it wasn't exactly a huge mainstream hit. As I've never seen her on Heroes (a show I've only watched infrequently) nothing about her being on the Enterprise with Spock would seem weird....I suspect more people haven't seen her on Heroes than have.

Kaley Cuoco is very cute indeed. I tend to see her as actually better known than Kristen Bell (now being in her second very popular sit com). She would be good as Rand.

One thing we have to remember is this is Star Trek and some actors are just as geeky as we are about loving the show. Who would have expected an Oscar winning actress to request a background character on a syndicated TV show? Yet, Whoopi Goldberg did just that because she really wanted to be in Star Trek.

It's quite possible that some actors we think are "above" a relatively small role would, in fact, be absolutely delighted at the opportunity to be in Trek. So, I tend to think that argument (she's too big a star) is one we are not in a position to make.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hen88 View Post
I think that it would be nice to have someone in a similar position as Worf in TNG. It seems logical. I also don't think it's unreasonable to have that person double as security chief because he would monitor the internal ship's security from his tactical station. I sort of agree with you that Rand wouldn't be really appropriate for that job. But it would be cool to have a new female character in that position.
TOS didn't have a tactical station per se. Helm dealt with weapons and Navigation moderated the shields. It was only after TMP that the tactical station came into play. I have to say that Chekov was the WORST possible choice for security chief - the man is a numpty (he didn't even know in STVI that phasers set off the security alarms). Putting Sulu at tactical (with a separate security chief), Chekov at navigation and Ilia at helm would have made much more sense - but I digress.

I agree that a tactical station makes sense and that Rand is not cut out for it but if they're going to choose a new tactical officer then go the whole hog and make her Chinese. They're terribly under-represented in Trek considering the proportion of the human race that they make up.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I don't see Kristen Bell as being that big a star.
From IMDB (Movies since Veronica Mars [2004-2007] - her breakout role):

Queen of Babble Project (In Development) [Presumably main star]
You Again (2010) (pre-production) [Main star]
Astro Boy (2009) (post-production) (voice)
Couples Retreat (2009) (post-production) [Main female star]
Sheepish (2009) (post-production) (voice)
When in Rome (2010) (completed) [Main star]
Serious Moonlight (2009) (completed) [Main female star]
Fanboys (2008) [Main female star]
Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) [Main female star]

Apparently Heroes and Gossip Girl are/were a recurring role as well since Veronica Mars aired. [I watch neither show but that's 3 well known series in addition to all the lead actress movie roles]

She is one very busy lady coming up very fast in Hollywood.

Quote:
So, I tend to think that argument (she's too big a star) is one we are not in a position to make
True enough. With no further information on casting requirements I would agree. Bit parts/cameos are different than a strong secondary role.
I was going on the presumed stipulation of the thread regarding adding females to the cast giving a larger ensemble instead of Christian Slater & Stephen Hawking type cameos.

Trouble is, the original Star Trek wasn't an ensemble (that's TNG we're all a happy PC family who must be given fairly equal screen time territory).
Fans (and the secondary tier actors themselves) created the myth of the "big 7" of Classic Star Trek. It was always the "big 3" with 4 supporting actors; which burned the butts of Nichols, Takei, Doohan and Koenig.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Captain

Here you go:

Laura Prepon

Old 06-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post

I do like KC but she's really only done comedy (8 Simple Rules and Big Bang Theory) and she's a very strong comedic performer. But, Rand isn't a comedic role, so I'd be interested to see if she can drop the comedic aspects of her character to take a character who needs to have a bit more professionalism around her.

(Worrying about Kirk checking her legs aside, of course).

Kristen Bell - Very pretty, but a bit of a bland performer in the things I have seen her in so far, but then that's just Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Pulse - her Gossip Girl work is an irrelevance as it's only voiceover.

Of the two - I'd give the role to KC.

courtesy of Saquist