The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Rand and others possible in next Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Default Rand and others possible in next Trek

The fellas are re watching TOS to prepare...could be interesting.

http://io9.com/5299914/next-star-tre...re-yeoman-rand

Old 06-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Lieutenant

They're only watching TOS now?

Rand should have been used instead of Chekov and they should have saved him for the sequel, not the other way round. Absolutely no fan would have objected or queried this in a prequel. It's astounding that they might only have thought that the imbalance between the sexes needed addressing after the event, especially as they had to retcon his age to justify his being there.

I hope they will seed the sequel with cameos of most of the characters. I'd be happy to see Kyle, DeSalle, Mulhall, M'Benga, and Leslie to name a few. Chapel needs to be given some lines, and Rand needs to be brought in as a major supporting character.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Ensign

Rand always creeped me out... Not sure exactly why.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln6 View Post
They're only watching TOS now?

Rand should have been used instead of Chekov and they should have saved him for the sequel, not the other way round. Absolutely no fan would have objected or queried this in a prequel. It's astounding that they might only have thought that the imbalance between the sexes needed addressing after the event, especially as they had to retcon his age to justify his being there.

I hope they will seed the sequel with cameos of most of the characters. I'd be happy to see Kyle, DeSalle, Mulhall, M'Benga, and Leslie to name a few. Chapel needs to be given some lines, and Rand needs to be brought in as a major supporting character.
The writers are fans who've watched for years. They said in interviews that they rewatched everything while hashing out the details of the story. That they are re-immersing themselves is not a problem, it just shows dedication.

Before seeing every Harry Potter movie the first time I reread the book it's based on and re-watch all the previous movies. It's preparation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
Rand always creeped me out... Not sure exactly why.

Oh...gee...I don't know...could it be the basket she called a hairdo? She's creepworthy, no question.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 06-23-2009, 07:14 AM
Ensign

I'd like to see the Romulan Commander (first played by Joanne Linville )from the "Enterprise Incident". She had class. Not quite a villain, but definitely an antagonist to the story who you end up feeling bad for.

Probably my all time TOS favorite Episode.

As far as Enterprise crew goes, you HAVE to have Rand. She is an absolute must. At some point in the series, I would like to see Carol Marcus re-introduced. It would be interesting if this timeline plays out differently given Kirk having been raised differently.

Last edited by Airborne Stormtrooper : 06-23-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:12 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln6 View Post
Absolutely no fan would have objected or queried this in a prequel.
I would have.
Rand and Chapel were background characters in the movies, that's why the seven are usually considered the main cast.

A new main character just takes away screen time from another. Just take a look at ST09, wouldn't you have liked to have seen more of e.g. McCoy and Sulu or secondary characters like Sarek, Amanda, Kirk's mum, Nero, etc.?

Don't get me wrong, I am all for more female characters in Trek ... in a new TV series.

Last edited by horatio : 06-23-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I would have.
Rand and Chapel were background characters in the movies, that's why the seven are usually considered the main cast.

A new main character just takes away screen time from another. Just take a look at ST09, wouldn't you have liked to have seen more of e.g. McCoy and Sulu or secondary characters like Sarek, Amanda, Kirk's mum, Nero, etc.?

Don't get me wrong, I am all for more female characters in Trek ... in a new TV series.
Background characters in the movies yes - partly due to ageism and sexism - they wanted to bring in younger women such as Saavik. But Rand was a principle cast member i.e. she got equal billing as McCoy during the first half of season one - and this movie is set just prior to season one. No Chekov - lots of Rand!
Old 06-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Fleet Admiral

Whitney quit after allegedly being sexually harassed and I guess it wasn't easy to convince her to come back for the movies. Anyway, at that point Chekov has been established as main cast while Rand has just appeared in a handful of episodes.

So why should the character setup be changed right now, just to have more women? And if you want a new female cast member as senior officer, why name her Rand who was just Kirk's secretary and love interest in TOS?
Old 06-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Whitney quit after allegedly being sexually harassed and I guess it wasn't easy to convince her to come back for the movies. Anyway, at that point Chekov has been established as main cast while Rand has just appeared in a handful of episodes.

So why should the character setup be changed right now, just to have more women? And if you want a new female cast member as senior officer, why name her Rand who was just Kirk's secretary and love interest in TOS?
For the same reason we hear McCoy talking to Chapel in sick bay...to reasure us our old friends are there. I agree that Rand is a background character. However, there's no guarantee that in this timeline she ends up being just a secretary and Kirk love interest. What would be funny would be to have Kirk really interested in her, but her totally uninterested in him.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
For the same reason we hear McCoy talking to Chapel in sick bay...to reasure us our old friends are there. I agree that Rand is a background character. However, there's no guarantee that in this timeline she ends up being just a secretary and Kirk love interest. What would be funny would be to have Kirk really interested in her, but her totally uninterested in him.
Nothing wrong with a small referrence or a short appearance, I just questioned Paul's suggestion to bring a sexistic character like Rand back unchanged just to have more females in the main cast (anyone sees the contradiction?) or even let her substitute Chekov (other job, same name?).