The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Compared With the Prime Universe....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is the Alternate Federation More Powerful Now Than in the Prime Universe?
Yes 11 18.64%
No 15 25.42%
Insufficient Information 33 55.93%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Vice Admiral

If he could prove the borg existed.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Commander

On the transporters.... Anyone remember The Cloud Miners? Kirk and Plassus certainly were not still while Scotty was beaming them on board. I am still of the opinion that the delay in building the Enterprise makes for a ship more advanced than the one we saw in The Cage(circa 2254 Prime Universe.) but the Alternate Enterprise of 2258 does not appear to be significantly more advanced than the Enterprise Prime Kirk commanded in 2267 and in some ways not as advanced.

In the short run, the Federation is staggered by the loss of Vulcan. But StarFleet is likely stronger vis a vis the Klingons or Romulans. This could panic the Klingons into a "Strike now before the Feds do."
Old 06-23-2009, 04:11 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
If he could prove the borg existed.
They should know all about the Borg from the info learned in the ENT episode "Regeneration". Although they don't know they were called "Borg" because the actual word was not used in the episode.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:43 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
After all those ships were destroyed... hm.
And who knows what damage the Narada caused on its way to Earth...
Probably none. The point of Captain Pike's interrogation was to learn how to slip by Earth's defenses undetected. The Kelvin was able to disable the Narada by ramming into it. I don't think Nero would chance a similar stall as the Federation would be more desperate losing one of its founding planets.

A larger fleet was already assembled, but if the Narada was detected, Starfleet would have thrown everything at it, including whole ships. They know it worked from the Kelvin logs, and by then Starfleet would have put one and one together and realized it was the same ship and gone to more extremes to protect Earth. At the time of Vulcan's initial attack, no one realized who the aggressors were.

If Nero was foolish enough to blow up everything he saw along the way, it would not matter what technical information he extracted from Captain Pike. The whole Galaxy would have swarmed in. Why chance it?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
They should know all about the Borg from the info learned in the ENT episode "Regeneration". Although they don't know they were called "Borg" because the actual word was not used in the episode.
Romulans: "Yea right Spock good SFX. And I have a nice bridge on Romulus to sell you"
Old 06-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Ensign

Something impeded the Narada by at least a few hours. How else do you explain the time that elapsed between Nero leaving Vulcan space before its destruction and the Enterprise reaching Titan?

I know the facts. Spock's course to regroup with the fleet was presumably in the same general direction as Kirk's proposed route to defend Earth (making the correction seamless when Kirk eventually took control after Spock resigned command). I'm certain this has been addressed in another thread, but understanding warp speed transporting, there must still be a range; how was the Enterprise in range when Scott and Kirk beamed aboard?

External Inertial Damper is Operating at Capacity.

Disengage before the Vulcan makes you look bad.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Alert View Post
Something impeded the Narada by at least a few hours. How else do you explain the time that elapsed between Nero leaving Vulcan space before its destruction and the Enterprise reaching Titan?
Narada was a slower ship maybe? After all, it is somewhat bigger.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

6 billion Vulcans are dead. Someone said it's a short term thing. It isn't. It's a forever thing.

There's no question this is a weaker Federation
~
Old 06-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Lieutenant

Weaker.

They've lost Vulcan, the Vulcan Science Academy, etc and nearly all Vulcans...a tremendous blow. I would imagine the Vulcans brought a semblance of stability and order to the Federation. Now, the survivors must focus on the needs of their people, not the Federation.

What was it- 5 huge ships lost at one whack? Not to mention the personnel that went down with them. That had to hurt. I mean, Starfleet is reduced to appointing a wet-behind-the-ears new graduate as captain of it's most advanced ship.