The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Should the Next Movie Be About War?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should the Next Movie Be About War?
Yes, Definitely! 11 20.37%
Yes, But Only If It's a "B" (Secondary) Plot 13 24.07%
No, Unless It's Absolutely Necessary to Support the Story 19 35.19%
Not At All 11 20.37%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2009, 09:49 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Nemesis was about war, and it was bad
To be technical, it was not a full scale war. Only four ships even saw any combat in it. Anyways, it would be nice to see Enterprise back at exploring again. That never really happened in the movies. The only one they tried that in was V but I'm sure someone could do better than that.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Vice Admiral

Optimism is good, but never a certainty. But in your idea war can a backdrop. Either the threat of one or the beginnings of one until cooler heads prevail. There could simply be some Romulans in power that would see it as an opportunity to get rid of the Vulcans. Who knows.

A story can be about the reasons behind a hot or cold war than the war itself.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Fleet Admiral

"Dammit, I'm a Trek, not a Wars" - new movie

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 06-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I like how in robocop movies the bad guy are always shooting at him and the bullets never rickashe.

I feel that war would have to be the sub story for it to work.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:38 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
There could simply be some Romulans in power that would see it as an opportunity to get rid of the Vulcans. Who knows..
You know, that is very much like what came to my mind after seeing the movie and wondering what the next should be about. Not the Romulans, but another group from within the Federation that is behind trying to get rid of the Vulcans. If it were a 'Humans are superior' type of group, they wouldn't like a Vulcan/Human....and certainly not one involved (or betrothed) to a human.

I just don't like thinking the Romulans would try to do in their struggling cousins. Of course, with most of the surviving Vulcans settled on one planet, they are easy pickings.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Vice Admiral

The human xenophobe thing has been done already, also specifically with Vulcans in mind.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:49 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC_1701A View Post
To be technical, it was not a full scale war. Only four ships even saw any combat in it. Anyways, it would be nice to see Enterprise back at exploring again. That never really happened in the movies. The only one they tried that in was V but I'm sure someone could do better than that.

Not true. V was not about exploring, it was about a half mad Vulcan took over the ship (gee how original) to go find Shakaree. TMP was not really about exploring, but to stop the "probe" V'ger. But at least it left time for explorations along the way, i.e. discovering the scope of V'ger, Spock's dilemma, etc. People give TMP such a hard time for being bland and slow, but it was the closest to Gene's vision, I think. It had actual SCIENCE FICTION in it. And then if there is a ST with too much war and violence, people complain "Gene's vision has been forgotten".

"I'll never lose you!"
Old 06-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
The human xenophobe thing has been done already, also specifically with Vulcans in mind.
In one of the shows/movies? Yikes! I'm showing my age and how long it's been since I've seen all of them. Which one was it?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Vice Admiral

Shows. Last season of Enterprise specifically involving a test-tube baby of sorts between T'Pol and Tripp. All done by a human group that wants all aliens off of Earth. I forget the actors name but the leader was Robocop. At least thats how I recall it.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Lieutenant

Yes, it was Peter Weller. The two-part story (which is the real finale to ST: Enterprise, IMO) dealt with a human-centric organization that used the growing apprehension and hostility toward non-humans (part of the fallout of the Xindi attack on Earth) to seize a weapon that threatened (I think) the Vulcan Consulate in San Francisco.

I think the first episode after the Enterprise returns home (from the past) in the fourth season also deals with hostility toward non-humans as a subplot. (Phlox almost gets roughed up and Reed and Mayweather defend him, IIRC.)

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy