The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Should the Next Movie Be About War?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should the Next Movie Be About War?
Yes, Definitely! 11 20.37%
Yes, But Only If It's a "B" (Secondary) Plot 13 24.07%
No, Unless It's Absolutely Necessary to Support the Story 19 35.19%
Not At All 11 20.37%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer View Post
Post your poll response and thoughts about whether the next Star Trek movie should be about war.
With the set-up in the movie already it would seem to be remiss to not acknowledge it.

You have the Federation, with the decimation of Vulcan and several starships at the hands of an admitted future Romulan, the Klingon loss of a fleet of ships at the hands of the same and the Romulans themselves who previously were known for seeking an excuse to expand and test the borders with a secret vessel capable of cloaking and the destruction it managed.

Reports on decimations of two enemy fleets would seemingly spur Romulan interests regardless, even if it was the result of a future Romulan. I hardly see a hand waving away of hostilities without someone claiming "weregild" of some sort let alone outright open warfare.

All of that does not have to be the "A" story though.
You could simply imagine it as more akin to the episode "Errand of Mercy", where the war is the background and a part of the story but not something the main cast would participate in directly. Certainly ther driving factor of the current predicament and maybe even a culmination in eventual direct participation as the film climax.

But yes, it should be addressed or else it's simply another use of the reset button syndrome Trek was famous for, and abusive of, all over again, -- right out of the gate.

Last edited by JSnyder4 : 06-22-2009 at 03:33 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:19 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I wonder how many people, having seen too many action movies, believe that their car would explode if they crushed it.
What? Of course it will!

Just watch this!

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clip...Cartoon%20wars

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 06-22-2009, 02:43 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Thats called the 'A-Team' syndrome. The same one where people have all kinds of weapons and explosives but are lucky if they give the other guy a flesh wound.
you mean the same syndrome where people actually believe that Bruce-Willis-action-movie-plane-and-building explosions happen IRL without massive amounts of special effects and extra explosives beyond the jet fuel?
Old 06-22-2009, 03:32 AM
Ensign

I just think the Klingons are going to be pissed after the events that took place. I think some sort of conflict spawning is realistic given what just happened. An all our war doesn't need to be at the forefront of the story, however certainly limitted skirmishes with the threat of an escalated conflict looming on the horizon if our heroes don't rise up to the challenge (whatever it is). DS9 accomplished this leading up to Season 6 quite well.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:40 AM
Fleet Admiral

Nemesis was about war, and it was bad

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 06-22-2009, 03:55 AM
Captain

War makes boring stories because there is never anything interestning hapening in war. Take a look at any war movie. If its a good and inerestning movie then the drama is about something else then war and the war is just the background picture. Full Metall Jacket was best in the first half. The most boring part was the shooting and running around untill they finally face this little girl. Take Platoon and how the character interaction, the rivalry between Sheens character and this other guy, made the movie, whilst the running and shooting was far more destracting then actually supporting the drama. Take Apocalypse Now, it was the mad General in his hide out that made the movie, not how they raid the beach with helicopters.

So, I say, no, no war. If you just cant think of any other way to visualize your story, fine, but over all war makes for bad stories.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:33 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

War in fiction is an easy way out for the writer.

War is overused in fiction is because it sets up a situation of conflict, not just between the warring states, but within the characters. Is a loved one going to get hurt? Will I be doing the right thing if I follow these dubious orders? Can I justify not getting involved if I know a mass genocide is taking place outside my door? In film fiction, it is doubly overused because in addition to the above, it allows for lots of explosions and testosterone-filled action.

If a writer is any good, he/she can come up with conflict without resorting to war as a driver.

In terms of Star Trek, for those who believe that the Klingons would not overlook what has happened, I disagree that it would necessarily involve any act of war between the Klingons and Federation. The Narada was quite clearly crewed by a group of Romulans. The Federation was not in any way involved in the Narada crew's activities with respect to the Klingons. While I acknowledge that the Federation was weakened in the fight, so were the Klingons, so that relationship would remain status quo. If the Klingons originally intended to move against the Federation, they would likely change direction and attack Romulus instead because of the Narada's actions. This should have the added effect of keeping the Romulans too busy to attack the Federation. So I think there could genuinely be a period of peace (in the Federation) from both of those cultures where there might not have been in the original no-Narada timeline.
To any professional Star Trek screenwriters and film developers reading this: If my post above involves any suggestions about future films, feel free to use any and all of the ideas contained. This disclaimer does not apply to book-only or fan-generated material.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:59 AM
Commander

What trek needs to do is show us this new universe. Boldly going where no man has gone...

The universe is so vast and full of mystery that the potential stories are ginormous.
What Trek always did best was exploring the unknown, and dealing with the myriad of complications that can arise when contact with an alien species is made. Not to mention the exploration of the human condition, and plumbing the depths of the human soul as we face the unknown.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Federation Councillor

I don't think a war story is necessary.

It's difficult to balance out - I mean, Orci and Kurtzman have hinted that with the shocking and sudden destruction of Vulcan they are giving the Star Trek universe the kind of emotional shock that events of a few years back created.

Yet the film itself is still a light and generally optimistic depiction of the future Star Trek world.

I mean, certainly some exploration of the emotional aftermath of Vulcan would be welcome, but as the man responsible for Vulcan was, defeated, there's no real reason to bring a war plot into it. There's no villain to fight with Nero's death.

Explore the fallout, but it doesn't have to mean war.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Lieutenant

We don't need one about war...we need a story about the characters. And, quite frankly, I don't want to see the Federation at war with either the Klingons or the Romulans. Maybe it's just my optimistic nature, but I think all 3 civilizations will learn to work together.

I'd like to see the Romulans make an overture to the Vulcans offering help...and wanting to know more about Surak's teachings. They might be facing huge problems within their society and see the need for change. (And, maybe the Vulcans might ease up just a tad on their emotional control, in return)