The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Should the Next Movie Be About War?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should the Next Movie Be About War?
Yes, Definitely! 11 20.37%
Yes, But Only If It's a "B" (Secondary) Plot 13 24.07%
No, Unless It's Absolutely Necessary to Support the Story 19 35.19%
Not At All 11 20.37%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Banned

Smile Should the Next Movie Be About War?

It seems that a lot of space-based movies are about wars these days, but should Star Trek follow that trend? After all, TVH wasn't about a war, and yet it was successful. (Admittedly, TUC was about espionage and the possibility of war; and FC was definitely about war. But then again, TVH did better than FC.)

Post your poll response and thoughts about whether the next Star Trek movie should be about war.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I've always felt Voyage Home worked because Nimoy said outright that the two previous films had dealt with death and he wanted to do one about life so that set the tone for the movie before it was even released. Also The Probe wasn't evil and "Save the Whales" was gaining momentum so it sorta found it's place as the feel good Star Trek movie. But as for war a villain(s) with nefarious plans doesn't really amount to war. First Contact is the only movie to have full scale conflict between two species while it's only hinted at as a possibility in STIII and VI. So if the plot of XII involved war it's not like they'd be beating a dead horse, it really hasn't been done that much. Now the destruction of Earth, that's a different story.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlin' Wolf View Post
I've always felt Voyage Home worked because Nimoy said outright that the two previous films had dealt with death and he wanted to do one about life so that set the tone for the movie before it was even released. Also The Probe wasn't evil and "Save the Whales" was gaining momentum so it sorta found it's place as the feel good Star Trek movie. But as for war a villain(s) with nefarious plans doesn't really amount to war. First Contact is the only movie to have full scale conflict between two species while it's only hinted at as a possibility in STIII and VI. So if the plot of XII involved war it's not like they'd be beating a dead horse, it really hasn't been done that much. Now the destruction of Earth, that's a different story.
Funny you should mention that. In my proposed story, the Earth disappears. That wouldn't be its destruction, necessarily, but there it is.

I actually voted for the second option. I'm still working out the plot lines of my story but there will be a war in it as a secondary plot, and, incidentally, also because it's quite helpful, if not essential, to the overall story.

I've also said that my story will involve a mystery. It's the mystery part that's the most attractive component of it to me.

Last edited by Star Trek Viewer : 06-21-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Well, after Vulcan getting canned and all the threat level of the rest of the movie I'd like to see the next film move to more of that exploring 'strange new worlds and new civilizations'. This movie: getting the crew together to save the galaxy, (which is pretty much what happened). Next movie: getting out there where no one's gone before and finding something that'll blow our minds. Trek's always been at its best when that happens.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 06-21-2009, 10:54 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think that "War And Peace" is a bit too general. There have been interesting war stories in Trek, be it heading for a better future after WWIII in FC, founding the Federation after the Earth-Romulan War (an untold story) or the variety of good DS9 episodes set in the Dominion War.
If there is an interesting story to tell, why not. If it is forced and just done to get more explosions, please not.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I think that "War And Peace" is a bit too general. There have been interesting war stories in Trek, be it heading for a better future after WWIII in FC, founding the Federation after the Earth-Romulan War (an untold story) or the variety of good DS9 episodes set in the Dominion War.
If there is an interesting story to tell, why not. If it is forced and just done to get more explosions, please not.
agreed. despite popular opinion to the contrary, there IS such a thing as too much C4
Old 06-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I wonder how many people, having seen too many action movies, believe that their car would explode if they crushed it.
Thats called the 'A-Team' syndrome. The same one where people have all kinds of weapons and explosives but are lucky if they give the other guy a flesh wound.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:06 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Well, after Vulcan getting canned and all the threat level of the rest of the movie I'd like to see the next film move to more of that exploring 'strange new worlds and new civilizations'. This movie: getting the crew together to save the galaxy, (which is pretty much what happened). Next movie: getting out there where no one's gone before and finding something that'll blow our minds. Trek's always been at its best when that happens.
Agreed!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 12:40 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Thats called the 'A-Team' syndrome. The same one where people have all kinds of weapons and explosives but are lucky if they give the other guy a flesh wound.
I thought A-Team syndrome was when pilots always manage to eject when their fighter jets get shot down (never actually watched the show).