The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > New Enterprise's Viewscreen Presaged By Initial Voyager Design?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Star Trek Viewer Star Trek Viewer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,057
Lightbulb New Enterprise's Viewscreen Presaged By Initial Voyager Design?

I found an interesting reference to concept art developed for the bridge of the USS Voyager which is reminiscent of the viewscreen for the new Enterprise. The proposed layout is in a drawing which may be seen by navigating to the Forgotten Trek webpage whose URL is provided below and clicking on the first image on the right. Like the design in the proposal, the new Enterprise's viewscreen is curved and almost "wrap-around." It's not clear to me whether the Voyager concept was supposed to be a physical window, but it does look like it.

See:

http://www.ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/ds9_6.php

Last edited by Star Trek Viewer : 06-20-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Samuel Samuel is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,882
Default

Big window.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-21-2009, 06:04 AM
Airborne Stormtrooper's Avatar
Airborne Stormtrooper Airborne Stormtrooper is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 51
Default

I like the new viewer. Kind of a window, with projection. That works. Better situational awareness.

Now we can see the shipping coming about before the opposing commander threatens to blow you out of the stars.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Akula2ssn's Avatar
Akula2ssn Akula2ssn is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne Stormtrooper View Post
I like the new viewer. Kind of a window, with projection. That works. Better situational awareness.

Now we can see the shipping coming about before the opposing commander threatens to blow you out of the stars.
Yeah, it's basically a giant head up display. While I understand the reason Matt Jefferies designed the bridge so that the captain could just turn to see each station, but honestly, you'd need to be fairly farsighted to read those those screens from the captain's chair. By turning the main view screen into a giant heads up display, you can put all major information right there for the captain to see.
__________________

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Samuel Samuel is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula2ssn View Post
Yeah, it's basically a giant head up display. While I understand the reason Matt Jefferies designed the bridge so that the captain could just turn to see each station, but honestly, you'd need to be fairly farsighted to read those those screens from the captain's chair. By turning the main view screen into a giant heads up display, you can put all major information right there for the captain to see.
Dont you know? With technology everyone has perfect vision in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Akula2ssn's Avatar
Akula2ssn Akula2ssn is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Dont you know? With technology everyone has perfect vision in the future.
Heh. Laser surgery for everyone.
__________________

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Samuel Samuel is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula2ssn View Post
Heh. Laser surgery for everyone.
Of course. In the federation there is no money and everything is free.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Akula2ssn's Avatar
Akula2ssn Akula2ssn is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Of course. In the federation there is no money and everything is free.
Damn...I should have waited another 2 centuries to have gotten my surgery.
__________________

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Futureguy Futureguy is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Dont you know? With technology everyone has perfect vision in the future.
Remember that Kirk needed glasses in the movies...he was allergic to the treatment for his particular vision problem. Bones got him glasses for a birthday present in TWOK.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Akula2ssn's Avatar
Akula2ssn Akula2ssn is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
Remember that Kirk needed glasses in the movies...he was allergic to the treatment for his particular vision problem. Bones got him glasses for a birthday present in TWOK.
Heh, sadly that's part of the aging process. Just as our skin wrinkles as we age, our eyes become less able to focus on nearby objects. You can still have perfect 20/20 vision, but the mechanism that allows the eye to change its focus onto something nearby gets weaker as we grow older. So yeah, even people who have perfect 20/20 vision all their lives are going to probably have reading glasses from their 40's onward or some kind of treatment. It's not that their visual acuity has gotten worse, it's the ability of the eye to change focus.
__________________

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.