The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > More progress on my soon to be in progress fanfilm....LOL!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Vice Admiral

Tell me, are you going to have a trailer for this? (or a preview, if so, make it quick!) I wanna see em' in action!

Old 06-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Vice Admiral

Get Blender (www.blender.org) to make your shapes, export as OBJ, and iclone can import them.

Edit: Hey Im a captain now. Didnt know that. Since I can post like a madman when I have nothing to do it didnt take me long.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Commander

Quote:
I don't have any official or fanficial documentation, but such things would be nice.
I do.
Old BSG TOS fan (but I still like the new series better).

I could scan up a few pages of relevant material for you.
Would pictures like that help any?

The official blueprints consist of:
* Galactica bridge stage set overhead and side views
* Galactica bridge spinning command deck overhead and side views
* Galactica bridge flight control panel instrumentation detail view
* Galactica catapult launch stage set overhead/side and exit views
* Imperious Leader's chamber stage set overhead and side views
* Cylon fighter cockpit stage set overhead/side and front views
* Viper views of all ship components in minute breakdown for construction
* Viper views of top/bottom/side/front/rear
* Viper landing gear minute breakdown construction views
* Colonial shuttlecraft interior stage set overhead/side views
* Colonial shuttlecraft control panel instrumentation detail view
* Landram overhead/side/front views
* Laser station (Gun on Ice Planet Zero) stage set views

The Warrior's Tech Manual has no contents page but is 134 pages long filled with views of all possible uniforms (even the friggin' firemen), weapons, ship views, handheld equipment (think communicators/tricorders/medical equipment etc), partial deck layouts for Galactica, history and terminology.

It is basically set up much to mimic the Franz Joseph Star Trek Tech manual in many ways.

Other obscure items of possible interest:
A paper model of the Galactica herself that may be of use for some shapes and textures that you mentioned (along with different nameplates for all the TV and Tech Manual Battlestar names [17 total + blank for your own amusement] in case you wanted to make a big ol' fleet).
Views of the nearly forgotten Cylon heavy fighter from the 1980 series (top/side/front).
I can even provide uncut copies of the decal sheets for the Viper, Raider and Galactica models) -- the basestar never had any.

There may even be more stuff floating around in folders and places I haven't sorted or looked at in ages.

Edit: when I say minute breakdown for construction I mean similar to this (except in even greater detail):
http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars...enterprise.php (Sheet 8)

Last edited by JSnyder4 : 06-24-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Edit: Hey Im a captain now. Didnt know that. Since I can post like a madman when I have nothing to do it didnt take me long.
I'll say! It took me a year to become captain, but I guess somebody pulled the old "Christopher Pike" on you, and shazam! In no time you became a captain!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
I do.
Old BSG TOS fan (but I still like the new series better).

I could scan up a few pages of relevant material for you.
Would pictures like that help any?

The official blueprints consist of:
* Galactica bridge stage set overhead and side views
* Galactica bridge spinning command deck overhead and side views
* Galactica bridge flight control panel instrumentation detail view
* Galactica catapult launch stage set overhead/side and exit views
* Imperious Leader's chamber stage set overhead and side views
* Cylon fighter cockpit stage set overhead/side and front views
* Viper views of all ship components in minute breakdown for construction
* Viper views of top/bottom/side/front/rear
* Viper landing gear minute breakdown construction views
* Colonial shuttlecraft interior stage set overhead/side views
* Colonial shuttlecraft control panel instrumentation detail view
* Landram overhead/side/front views
* Laser station (Gun on Ice Planet Zero) stage set views

The Warrior's Tech Manual has no contents page but is 134 pages long filled with views of all possible uniforms (even the friggin' firemen), weapons, ship views, handheld equipment (think communicators/tricorders/medical equipment etc), partial deck layouts for Galactica, history and terminology.

It is basically set up much to mimic the Franz Joseph Star Trek Tech manual in many ways.

Other obscure items of possible interest:
A paper model of the Galactica herself that may be of use for some shapes and textures that you mentioned (along with different nameplates for all the TV and Tech Manual Battlestar names [17 total + blank for your own amusement] in case you wanted to make a big ol' fleet).
Views of the nearly forgotten Cylon heavy fighter from the 1980 series (top/side/front).
I can even provide uncut copies of the decal sheets for the Viper, Raider and Galactica models) -- the basestar never had any.

There may even be more stuff floating around in folders and places I haven't sorted or looked at in ages.

Edit: when I say minute breakdown for construction I mean similar to this (except in even greater detail):
http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars...enterprise.php (Sheet 8)
Damn, now THAT is a lot of material. Hey, if you wish to scan 'em and send 'em, I'll be happy to use 'em. Most appreciated.

I'll pm you with an email addy.

Most appreciated,
Martok2112

Old 06-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I'll pm you with an email addy.
Got it and sent some pics.
Lemme know if you didn't receive all 4 emails as there may be a size limit.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Commander

Martok, have you considered doing a reboot instead?

I think that might make for some very interesting stories.
While I am fond of the old show, it has some serious flaws that a reboot could solve.

If I may...

1. I would start before the destruction of the colonies to give a proper introduction. I would keep it according to the original novel where the Cylons are reacting to the fact that Humanity stuck their collective noses into Cylon affairs defending another civilization (Hasaris) that asked for aid instead of the whole Japanese sneak attack motif. The actual destruction of the colonies would come in later after establishing the 'universe' for awhile. This would also allow proper introductions of the Cain character, other Battlestars and many other beats so that their loss is more keenly felt.

2. I would keep the Cylons as the reptilian race they originally were. Why they would build human looking robots makes no sense (and then completely and conveniently die out??). [This is essentially Trekkies' long wanted Human/Gorn war].

3. Several character changes; keeping to the spirit of the original: Drop the kid and dumbass robot dog (it didn't work and was only there for the kiddies). Drop the idea of Adama being related to Apollo and Athena; who are still siblings (this gives him the 'loneliness of command' along with the 'reluctant adoptive father of Humanity' motif). I would actually change Tigh to a black female for a better balance of females in the cast, plus the interaction of Adama and Tigh takes on new directions. I would retain the socialator role that was dropped in favor of switching the character to medical due to mores of the '70's (Firefly made excellent use of the prostitute in space). This would give the womanizing Starbuck that 3rd ball to juggle instead of the simplistic 2 (Athena & Cassieopia) -- keeping that literal juggling dynamic in perpetual motion by always having a ball in the air. Athena/Cassiopeia/and a new medical nurse character are perfectly fine. Also this has the benefit of showing essentially 3 classes of humanity he is shuffling around with... the career warrior/the outcast/and the civilian. Serina was killed due to Jane Seymour's desire to end her extended contract. She was shown to be an up and coming viper pilot who may have eventually been the equal or better of Apollo. They later picked back up this beat with Sheba and let her run with it for further development. Drop the Sheba beat on this and retain the Serena character and the beat. Boomer, Jolly, Greenbean, et al are fine as secondary characters to be randomly killed if necessary to a plot. Baltar is pretty much a go as is, he needs little change.

4. Keep the aliens since in keeping the original premise of aiding the Hasaris, and with the subsequent appearance of Ovions there are obviously other alien races present in the galaxy. How many are hostile or helpful may lead to other stories.

5. Drop the lost humanity colonies found all the time. It's just dumb -- or truly run with it to make it meaningful. If considered thoughtfully, the old series had the Galactica leading the Cylons on an involuntary genocidal mop up operation by essentially eliminating all the 'lost outposts' they ran across (which the Cylons would have done). Nice idea if functionally realized, but it was not mentioned or even alluded to really previously that there were real repercussions to these colonies found by Galactica. That makes the Galactica involuntary traitors to Humanity almost as evil in motivation as Baltar.

6. Go through the original scripts; strip-mine out the camp and give it all a new shine (unicorns and other weird crap... really? I don't mind a Vegas-like planet, but really not handled well). A few of the subsequent books weren't half bad, as were some of the comics for plot-lines.

There are more, but does this sound like something that might be of interest?

Dang, all this almost makes me want to contact a comic artist (or a ghost-writer) and see if there is a possibility of gaining licensing rights to publish.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Martok, have you considered doing a reboot instead?

I think that might make for some very interesting stories.
While I am fond of the old show, it has some serious flaws that a reboot could solve.

If I may...

1. I would start before the destruction of the colonies to give a proper introduction. I would keep it according to the original novel where the Cylons are reacting to the fact that Humanity stuck their collective noses into Cylon affairs defending another civilization (Hasaris) that asked for aid instead of the whole Japanese sneak attack motif. The actual destruction of the colonies would come in later after establishing the 'universe' for awhile. This would also allow proper introductions of the Cain character, other Battlestars and many other beats so that their loss is more keenly felt.

2. I would keep the Cylons as the reptilian race they originally were. Why they would build human looking robots makes no sense (and then completely and conveniently die out??). [This is essentially Trekkies' long wanted Human/Gorn war].

3. Several character changes; keeping to the spirit of the original: Drop the kid and dumbass robot dog (it didn't work and was only there for the kiddies). Drop the idea of Adama being related to Apollo and Athena; who are still siblings (this gives him the 'loneliness of command' along with the 'reluctant adoptive father of Humanity' motif). I would actually change Tigh to a black female for a better balance of females in the cast, plus the interaction of Adama and Tigh takes on new directions. I would retain the socialator role that was dropped in favor of switching the character to medical due to mores of the '70's (Firefly made excellent use of the prostitute in space). This would give the womanizing Starbuck that 3rd ball to juggle instead of the simplistic 2 (Athena & Cassieopia) -- keeping that literal juggling dynamic in perpetual motion by always having a ball in the air. Athena/Cassiopeia/and a new medical nurse character are perfectly fine. Also this has the benefit of showing essentially 3 classes of humanity he is shuffling around with... the career warrior/the outcast/and the civilian. Serina was killed due to Jane Seymour's desire to end her extended contract. She was shown to be an up and coming viper pilot who may have eventually been the equal or better of Apollo. They later picked back up this beat with Sheba and let her run with it for further development. Drop the Sheba beat on this and retain the Serena character and the beat. Boomer, Jolly, Greenbean, et al are fine as secondary characters to be randomly killed if necessary to a plot. Baltar is pretty much a go as is, he needs little change.

4. Keep the aliens since in keeping the original premise of aiding the Hasaris, and with the subsequent appearance of Ovions there are obviously other alien races present in the galaxy. How many are hostile or helpful may lead to other stories.

5. Drop the lost humanity colonies found all the time. It's just dumb -- or truly run with it to make it meaningful. If considered thoughtfully, the old series had the Galactica leading the Cylons on an involuntary genocidal mop up operation by essentially eliminating all the 'lost outposts' they ran across (which the Cylons would have done). Nice idea if functionally realized, but it was not mentioned or even alluded to really previously that there were real repercussions to these colonies found by Galactica. That makes the Galactica involuntary traitors to Humanity almost as evil in motivation as Baltar.

6. Go through the original scripts; strip-mine out the camp and give it all a new shine (unicorns and other weird crap... really? I don't mind a Vegas-like planet, but really not handled well). A few of the subsequent books weren't half bad, as were some of the comics for plot-lines.

There are more, but does this sound like something that might be of interest?

Dang, all this almost makes me want to contact a comic artist (or a ghost-writer) and see if there is a possibility of gaining licensing rights to publish.
Actually, I already have a reboot story still in progress.

It's called "Galactica: The Last Battlestar", and it merges both the original series AND new series universes together in such a way that it actually works.

Here's the tweaks I've done:

1. The Galactica (original series version) is a top-secret, state of the art new design on the Colonial battlestar, equipped with better weapons and has stealth run technology. The new series battlestars are now the old-designs. (I think it makes sense, as the original series ship still looks much more armored.)

2. No human Cylons. The Cylons were (once more) a reptillian race that were mostly killed off by their machine creations, although a few of the original race remain, and one is an Imperious Leader (Lord Vekno). The Hasari are once again the victims of Cylon cruelty that involved the humans in the conflict that would soon make Human and Cylon mortal enemies. However, this time around, the humans had been convinced to engage in this conflict because of intelligence that the Hasari provided, alleging to the Cylons' plans of conquest and/or annihilation of other species.

3. Starbuck and Boomers are men, again....and rather like their original series selves, only made a little edgier to go with today's storytelling trends. The characters Kara and Valerii (Starbuck and Boomer from the new series) are now their own characters, and fight alongside Apollo, Starbuck, and Boomer.

4. Adama is an admiral, like he was midway through the new series, and he's the chief overseer of Project: Galactica.

5. The Pegasus is still the same as it was in the new series, so it looks like a go between design between the older (new series) battlestars, and the state of the art (original series) Galactica.

6. Most of the human Colonies again are monotheistic, often referring to God as The Omni.

7. Every version of Colonial Viper we've seen in both (with the exception of the original series 6th millennium Viper)series are utilized here, and given different names (Viper, Krait), and there are two versions of the Raptor...the Raptor (which is an electronic warfare craft), and the Mamba (an attack craft version designed for bombing runs). I've even given them more militaristic nomenclatures. The SF-4 Krait (which is based on the new series Mk VII Viper) is strictly a space superiority fighter with no capability for fighting in atmosphere, as it does not have appropriate weapons for it, the SF-41A Viper (based on the new series Viper Mk II), and the SF-41B Viper (original series) both of which are suited for both air and space combat. The SE-6B Raptor is similar in function to the old EA-6B Prowler electronic warfare craft used by our US Navy, and the SA-6B Mamba is similar in function to the A-6 Intruder attack plane used by same.

8. Naming conventions. Ok, the one thing that irked me about the original series was how everybody seemed to have only ONE name. How does someone address one Adama, Apollo, or Starbuck from another in a crowd? Well, I didn't want to go the new series route either, with callsigns and Earthborne sounding surnames. So, (thanks to a discussion I had with a good friend of mine who is also a story writer) I came up with the following naming convention:

Apollo Vor Adama U Ila Per Caprica Kel Kobol. In the ancient Kobollian tongue, this translates to Apollo, Son of Adama and Ila from Caprica of the House of Kobol. (Although many major families have their own "Houses", everyone is spiritually considered to be "of the House of Kobol" from which all humanity descended). Vor means "son of", Val means "daughter of". Confused yet? LOL!

Anyhoo....that's just SOME of the tweaks I've done....and so far, it has been well received, especially by some of the old school fans that might not like the new show.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:18 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Actually, I already have a reboot story still in progress.
Interesting!

Not precisely what I would have done, but I see a couple similarities in thought. The Cylons as Reptiles and the Hasaris as more central to the initial plot (although you kill off the reptillian Cylons again!).
Might I suggest a variant fighter name: Asp

Krait works ok, but is an Asian name, which seems to not fit the original premise of Inca, Mayan, Toltec, Egyptian (the pyramid peoples).
China does have pyramids but isn't as well known for them as the above cultures, so it may be alright in the end anyway. Same for Mamba.
That may be just me holding closer to the original concept though.

Hope the images have been of help.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:12 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Interesting!

Not precisely what I would have done, but I see a couple similarities in thought. The Cylons as Reptiles and the Hasaris as more central to the initial plot (although you kill off the reptillian Cylons again!).
Might I suggest a variant fighter name: Asp

Krait works ok, but is an Asian name, which seems to not fit the original premise of Inca, Mayan, Toltec, Egyptian (the pyramid peoples).
China does have pyramids but isn't as well known for them as the above cultures, so it may be alright in the end anyway. Same for Mamba.
That may be just me holding closer to the original concept though.

Hope the images have been of help.
Some good points you bring up....but even other mediums (such as the Battlestar Galactica videogame that was made for the PS2 and Xbox several yahrens ago) used certain names like "Cobra" bomber.

I don't like to bind myself too much to original canon, but I do try to respect as much of it as I can. And that's the whole point of the reboot. Respect the canon, but give it my own little twists.

Thanks again for ALL the help. It is indeed much appreciated.