The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > More progress on my soon to be in progress fanfilm....LOL!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2009, 06:26 AM
Fleet Admiral

Well folks, here it is, final assembly on my first attempt at building a CGI Colonial Viper. After running into a couple of limitations imposed with iClone 3 PRO, I had to cut a few corners....but, I've also learned a lot on how to streamline my next attempt....and hopefully the Viper will look a little better.

For now, here's some shots of my 1st CG model....the famous Colonial Viper:

This started out strong, but ended up looking like a frackin' LEGO model at the end....thankfully, I still have some component pieces that actually turned out good, and will use them in a more refined attempt at building a Viper.

A rather dynamic shot of what turned out to be a pretty un-dynamic looking craft...LOL!

A profile shot:

.....to be continued...

Old 06-23-2009, 06:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

What? Who's that in the cockpit? Why....why it's Captain Starbuck!!! But why's he flying without his helmet? Oh, yeah, I haven't made one for him yet! LOL!

Parting shot....LOL!

I actually meant to put some extra detail on the rear wall between the turbos.....I will on my next attempt.

Heh, btw, I did a test animation....just for my own purposes, to see if the Viper would react the way I thought it would when I had it flown by a character. It did....but it flew real slow....that's 'coz I'm still learning the animation part of iClone as well.

I'm also going to make a copy of this Viper into a very small Viper for use in scenes that call for large numbers of ships to be on screen.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Fleet Admiral

UPDATE:

Earlier today, I made a prototype flight helmet. I was not happy with how it turned out. Then I rethought my approach.

Well, remember how I said I wasn't quite happy with the prototype helmet?

I'm much happier with these babies! I made a Galactica and Pegasus helmet.

To show 'em off (especially their nice little glowy face lights), I once more put Starbuck on the war torn planet, this time accompanied by a female warrior from the Pegasus.

And a nice little profile shot:

I hope ya like. The project is coming along so much more quickly than I could ever have imagined.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:12 AM
Admiral

Glad to hear its coming along quickly
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 06-24-2009, 05:21 AM
Fleet Admiral

Indeed...thanks.

In retrospect, I need to rescale the helmets...make 'em just a little more snug.

Something else I noticed, when it comes to guns, blasters, what not...they might be the same size before being attached to a character, but once they do, the pistol always ends up looking a little smaller in the female avatar's hands.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:38 AM
Vice Admiral

They are quite.... massive.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Rear Admiral

I must say those helmets look a bit like beehives stuck on their heads... like something out of Winnie the Pooh

Looks great though!

Old 06-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Fleet Admiral

LMAO! Thanks guys.

I think I know what to do when making props now. I'll eventually get this nailed....and then watch....I'll stumble upon a technique that's even MORE efficient than what I'm using now....and I'll be facepalming, screaming "d'oH!"

Old 06-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Commander

Since you are using TOS BSG, do you have access to the most pertinent documents giving the best drawings?

Namely the official Galactica Blueprints pouch set (Today Press) and the unofficial Colonial Warrior's Tech Manual (Space Waste, Inc.)?

The pouch set would be exceptionally valuable I would guess for the vipers as it has the sectional measurement breakdowns in exact model detail.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
Since you are using TOS BSG, do you have access to the most pertinent documents giving the best drawings?

Namely the official Galactica Blueprints pouch set (Today Press) and the unofficial Colonial Warrior's Tech Manual (Space Waste, Inc.)?

The pouch set would be exceptionally valuable I would guess for the vipers as it has the sectional measurement breakdowns in exact model detail.
I have physical models of Colonial Viper (TOS and TNS), Cylon Raider (TOS, TNS), Galactica and Pegasus (TOS, TNS), Raptor (TNS), Colonial One (TNS) Cylon Basestar (TOS), Cylon Centurion (TOS, and Original series version as seen in "RAZOR") for visual references. I don't have any official or fanficial documentation, but such things would be nice. For now, the visual references of my physical models do me a good service. Now, if I can just figure out how to accurize certain shapes. iClone 3 PRO doesn't come with a lathe of any sort to customize shapes. I have to use whatever shapes are available. I could probably create custom shapes in Google SketchUp, but then I'd have to by 3D Exchange to import those shapes into iClone 3 PRO. But, I'm going to be spending money on Crazy Talk 6 anyway (facial animation and lip synching program for voice dialogue and expression), so I'm sure eventually I'll get 3D Exchange.