The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > if klingons next....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
If we do see Klingons, I want them reinvented.

It is time to move past the TNG-verse Klingons, with their 'jerky' puppet-like gestures and that tiresome in-your-face "Ka Pa Cha!" attitude of theirs.

The Undiscovered Country had 'cool' Klingons, but I'm not saying go with them necessarily. Just reinvent them; make them less 'nerdified' from what we've seen on TV the past 20 years.

As for bumpy versus 'plain' foreheads? Bumpy. Preferably with no explanation. The decision to go bumpy was a 'movie' decision in the first place, therefore I think the Klingons have 'always' looked like this as far as the movies need be concerned.

Absolutely. And since XI *thankfully* did away with Westmore's ridiculous Romulan design, I'd hope they'd chuck out Westmore's Klingon design as well and revert back to the TMP-TUC movie style, which was much more simple. And while keep a little of the TNG style culture and heritage, show them as being intelligent and cunning like they were in TUC, and not just animals.

And keep the K'tinga/D7 design (by the way, that's the same type of ship Trekkers!!! )
Old 06-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Fleet Admiral

As long as the Klingon's DON'T have tattoos... and not warbirds, but battlecruisers.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 06-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
As long as the Klingon's DON'T have tattoos... and not warbirds, but battlecruisers.
I think the Klingons refer to their own ships as Battlecruisers. They even classified the Enterprise NCC-1701 Prime a Battlecruiser in Star Trek III since it filled the same tactical role at the K'Tinga-Class (although Starfleet ships we multi-purpose generally).

The Warbird term seems derived from Vulcan ship classifications as T'Pol from Enterprise was the first to coin the term on screen. Although it was considered a mistake by producers, it is still easy to justify. By again refering to the type of ship as a Warbird when we see them in the Kobayashi Maru, we can assume that much of Vulcan classifications carried over into Starfleet usage. The knowledge base should have been pooled as it formed the Federation with Earth, Andoria and Tellerite (sp?). Since this isn't that long after the last series, Enterprise, the ship classifications seem to still be used by Starfleet. I think that it is as simple as a name phase-out as the Federation interacts more with the Klingon Empire.

Honestly, there is no harm in calling them Warbirds for now. As a Vulcan classification system for vessels, it bears lineage to the Romulans, which makes sense as they are related.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:51 AM
Fleet Admiral

Yes, but the Rom WB looks like a bird... the qItI'nga' doesn't.

Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

-= first fan member =-

Old 06-22-2009, 04:10 AM
Captain

No trio! Please! Noooo!

To have these three characters would be the typical "satisfy the fanboys" route. What in heavens name does a movie need three villains for? Three? Why? Doesnt one suffice anymore?

The latest Star Trek movie didnt even find the time to give the one villain enough screentime. So how the heck should the sequel deal with three villains? Its Star Trek, not "Three Klingons and The Way to Sto Vo Khor".
Old 06-22-2009, 08:06 AM
Fleet Admiral

Oh but I would love a "Three Klingons and the Way to Sto-Vo-Kor" movie

Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

-= first fan member =-

Old 06-22-2009, 08:24 AM
Fleet Admiral

To be blunt, the three Klingons were far more interesting and better written in "Bloodoath" than in any of the resp. TOS episodes and the differences between them were very well established in 45 minutes.

But there is no need to repeat "Bloodoath" and what works fine in TV does not work so well on the big screen. That's why I prefer all those continuity related stories on the little screen, you can built up things like a conflict between main Alpha Quadrant powers, explore secondary characters etc. A movie has to stand alone.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Ensign

Trio villains? The Original series had the ability to put certain characters as the "antagonists" without actually being a villain.

Kor, Kang and Koloth could easilly be antagonists, especially when you first meet them, however what we saw of them in DS9 shows them to be men of honor, therefore they could even end up saving the day. This would work if the plot revolves around some sort of conflict that adversely affects the interests of the Klingon Empire and the Federation mutually.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Ensign

Default What about a butt-kicking female Klingon commander?

Someone like the sisters of that one Klingon who challenged Worf on TNG? We never really got to see any female Klingons in charge militarily (or if we did, I'm forgetting the episode), so why not now in this new universe? Of course, if Kirk put the moves on her, she'd just beat the heck out of him, just like everyone else beat him up in this movie...
Old 06-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

Oh yeah, the villain is a female Klingon captain and they end up in bed, so no one dies

Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

-= first fan member =-