The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > if klingons next....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayce1701 View Post
YES!!!! I would LOVE to see them. Especially Koloth, he was always my favorite
"How did you get in here!?" - "I am Koloth." - "That doesn't answer the question." - "Yes, it does." (Odo and Koloth)

About Dorn: He could play the father of General Worf from TUC

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 06-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
"How did you get in here!?" - "I am Koloth." - "That doesn't answer the question." - "Yes, it does." (Odo and Koloth)

About Dorn: He could play the father of General Worf from TUC
I remember that episode somewhat. When its ever on TV again I will watch it.

As for Worf. Bringing Dorn back would make me wonder if his entire family is made up entirely of clones. Unless I suppose they cast him as a mother that they dress in Klingon drag and raise the pitch of his voice.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Lieutenant

Honestly, Captain Koloth was more comic relief in the "Trouble with Tribbles" episode; while he got much better treatment in the DS9 episode "Blood Oath," I just don't see him right for the role of the primary villain.

However, that said, Kirk and Koloth clearly knew each other in "Trouble with Tribbles," so, perhaps, a younger Koloth could be one of the antagonists Kirk encounters during the movie.

Honestly, I think that all three of the TOS Klingon commanders should be secondary villains, encountered and overcome (but not killed), but not the primary villain that Kirk must face. The primary villain should be a more-experienced commander and already an equal to Kirk in tactical and strategic skill.

It would be neat, though, for Spock to note that "those three officers: Kor, Kang, and Koloth; I have no doubt that we will encounter them again."

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 06-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Commander

It'd be neat, for a change, to have a Klingon antagonist who's more like Koloth from Tribbles - not an enemy who's out to kill everything, or blow up the universe, or whatever, but a 'villain' who's competing with our heroes for something, competitive and antagonistic but not necessarily 'evil'. There was a certain playfulness about the Klingons when they weren't out for blood. Still aggressive and adversarial, but they could have fun while doing it, and you could tell they weren't out to start a war. Depending on the main plot of the next film, any of Koloth, Kor and Kang could make great antagonists without being 'villians' who are killed at the end.

...And I reckon they should have the ridged foreheads, perhaps with some further, subtle make-up tweaks to make them less human.

Last edited by Big D : 06-20-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Fleet Admiral

I second that and see three options:
What we just had, a Hitler-type, evil-evil-evil, wanna-blow-up-the-universe villain ... or no villain at all (TMP, TVH and TFF all worked without one) but a "seek out new life" mission ... or just an adversary whom we can somehow relate to because we understand his rationale or when we don't, we realize at least that he has one. Chang, Soran or Dukat are good examples from Trek.
Most conflicts in our world are not caused by evil madmen who wanna blow up the world but simply by differing interests. Why should it be different in outer space?

Richard III can be fun for some time, but then you yearn for some Macbeth or Claudius. But alas, Khan is still very popular, so the majority seems to prefer one-dimensionality.

Concerning Klingons, we have seen plenty of them in all Trek series. But if they come up with an interesting character who features the playfulness of the TOS Klingons without ignoring the rich cultural background of the TNG Klingons, kinda the best of both worlds, why not.

Last edited by horatio : 06-20-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Concerning Klingons, we have seen plenty of them in all Trek series. But if they come up with an interesting character who features the playfulness of the TOS Klingons without ignoring the rich cultural background of the TNG Klingons, kinda the best of both worlds, why not.
I forget its name but the TNG ep about the 'genetic' archeology puzzle was good. The Klingon captain still had the attitude but had his comic moments.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:51 AM
Lieutenant

Who would you like to play Kor, Koloth or Kang?
Old 06-21-2009, 03:19 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
The trio of Kor, Koloth and Kang would be perfect!!!
Agreed!

It may also be interesting to see how this reality changes the destiny of General Chang from The Undiscovered Country. Though there is no reason the Klingons have to necessasarilly be "villains" in this verse.

Last edited by Airborne Stormtrooper : 06-21-2009 at 03:22 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:55 AM
Fleet Admiral

Perhaps we learn how he lost his eye (Yeah we saw that in Klingon Academy, but this is an alternate reality)

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 06-21-2009, 05:03 AM
Commander

If we do see Klingons, I want them reinvented.

It is time to move past the TNG-verse Klingons, with their 'jerky' puppet-like gestures and that tiresome in-your-face "Ka Pa Cha!" attitude of theirs.

The Undiscovered Country
had 'cool' Klingons, but I'm not saying go with them necessarily. Just reinvent them; make them less 'nerdified' from what we've seen on TV the past 20 years.

As for bumpy versus 'plain' foreheads? Bumpy. Preferably with no explanation. The decision to go bumpy was a 'movie' decision in the first place, therefore I think the Klingons have 'always' looked like this as far as the movies need be concerned.