The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Trek Tech > Ships, Devices, etc. > Enigma Class Solid Model
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

Admirals Log:

The rework on the Secondary Hull goes well. After the Dorsal side of the hull is redone...the mated nose will be reworked to work as precisely as possible with the Saucer.

To Follow: The Ventral Star Drive Hull: The Saucer Warp Nacelles: Torpedo Pod (should be easy enough.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Fleet Admiral

Admiral's Log
Stardate 394. something

Blessed Progress:

Thanks to Anystar from the TrekBBS. Enigma's forward climb to completion has seemed to have found steady purchase. The modeling has become less of a burdeon as I poured over the CAD tech manual and broke free of some of my inhibitions on cross-sections. It seems that's how cad produces some of the most difficult shapes and forms.

I've actually have already filled in the area of the deflector with primitive forms that I will cut into but that will be posted later. With the Nacelles near completion I'm eagar to actual mount them but the underside is still left and I don't know which mounts I'll chose. Another blessing...I seem to have a choice as I found some old sketches as well as finding old CAD drawing with the Secondardy warp engines and torp tubes that should look great and be relatively easy to shape.

Star Drive

Last edited by Saquist : 01-19-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Fleet Admiral

Admiral's Log
Supplemental:

I was dying to see the solid model Star Drive put together in some capacity. This isn't final but it does give an idea of how well the Solid model is working. Once the mounts for the Nacelles has been sculpted this will be done at almost 85 percent.

I think it looks good.
It's also exciting

Old 01-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Lieutenant Commander

hey Saquist, are you gonna make unique styled shuttles for the Enigma?

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 01-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

YIKES....I can't imagine what that would look like!

Old 01-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
YIKES....I can't imagine what that would look like!
Aha! Considered it an extra challange....

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 01-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

That would be a killer...
I thought about it...but eventually gave up after one or two tries.
Ultimately it didn't fit with my story to have an identifying auxiliary support craft

But based on these nacelles it's still an interesting idea.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:56 AM
Fleet Admiral

ADMIRALS LOG

I decided to create a separate drawing to try out assembly. It's a bit premature but I want to know now what kind of mating problems I'll have done the line. Boy did I find them. Many things aren't pleasing my eye.

While the top view looks good the Bottom view lacks the detail right now of the top. I haven't carved out the underside of the saucer but that will be easy. I'm not worried about it. I'm more concered about the surfaces that have to match up when the ships mate and the under side of the saucer is the biggest concern. I want the smooth dome to translate perfectly to the underside of the nose of the Stardrive and nothing but perfection will do.

Bottom

Over head

Nacelle Underside

This is what I've been struggling with (and other things)
CAD isn't good with putting these complicated smooth shapes together. The mount shown here that connects the Nacelle to the Pylon is a transition piece and bears the stress of torquing if the nacelle or the pylon should encounter shearing forces.

It does feel slightly off somehow but I think it's workable. My biggest problem is that its not as smooth as I wanted.

What's more I like the plans I have for the Nacelles Nose Cowel that houses the Field sensors and Masking Device.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Fleet Admiral

Last Log was in March.

Admiral's Log

Fighting CAD for the design I wanted was taking it's toll. I'm scraping much of the Secondary Hull because I honestly couldn't get the exact shape I wanted. That was unexceptable.

Since then I've gotten a new computer. An XPS m1730. She's powerful. I've had it for two days now and it handles CAD and everything else like silk. I've already made EXCELLENT on the Secondary Hull. The contours are all Correct now. The hardest thing I've got to do is matching the mating surfaces from the Saucer to the Stardrive... Easier said than done in CAD. But with this fast machine I should be able to problem solve the issue without collapsing to the slow processing time of 1 GIG machine.

I'll post pictures when I've got most of the secondary hull finish. I hope within a week.

Last edited by Saquist : 09-28-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Here's some sample output from my LCARS image enhancer. It takes a large image drawn with jagged lines and smooths it out while reducing. Here you see the Enigma MSD image reduced to 1/3 and 1/4 with antialiasing. If the large source had thicker lines, it would look better when reduced and smoothed. To the right you see a piece of jagged source MSD line and to the right of that a piece of the same line after reduction and smoothing. The larger size provides more data than if the program had to work with an image the target size. So that source jaggy is from an image drawn 4x target size.

So if all your lines had double the thickness, the MSD would come out looking pretty good when reduced and smoothed like this. For your solid images, that's not an issue. They should come out fine at 1/4 or 1/3 size.

Of course, there is other software that can do the same thing, with various degrees of quality.