The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Crop Circles: Are They For Real or What?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Lieutenant

Copy and paste these coordinates into Google Maps. You may have to zoom in for some of these and some may be upside down. Make sure to turn on satellite view.

31 59'20.53"S 152 34'18.47"E
19 56'56.76"S 69 38'2.07"W
41 51'26.99"N 121 29'25.75"W
50 39'26.33"N 2 24'14.92"W
14 32'45.28"S 75 9'35.85"W
14 33'9.40"S 75 10'36.74"W
19 12'13.45"S 70 0'30.41"W
10 54'12.65"N 19 55'56.05"E
44 14'39.77"N 7°46'10.71"E
51 19'16.29"N 1 45'22.76"W
45 42'11.97"N 21 18'7.81"E
17 58'20.55"S 70 14'12.89"W
43 25'44.84"N 80 19'51.12"W

Last edited by USS_Essex : 06-19-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
If aliens visit us, I can only imagine three scenarios: invasion, first contact, duck blind observation. The crop circles would fit into the latter category
Well, we KNOW an invasion has not occurred, we know there has been no first contact (at least public anyway), so I am more of the "duck blind" believer. Even with my belief in alien life, AND that it has visited this planet, I find crop circles and cow mutilations to be very problematic.

Crop circles. IF they are made by an alien intelligence, what are they for? My guess, they are some form of mathematical language. Maybe they are E.T.'s way of testing our reasoning abilities, to see if our society has advanced to the point where they would find first contact acceptable? Of course crop circles could be some form of natural phenomenon, but the intricate patterns would be hard to swallow with the natural occurring solution. I DO NOT believe all crop circles are man made, just most of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
As our current knowledge about astrophysics suggests that M class planets are rare and interstellar travel virtually impossible, these aliens would have a far superior technology. One that should allow them to conduct a duck blind mission without leaving behind traces that we could detect.
I think our current knowledge of astrophysics is in it's infancy. I have no education in the area, but I just can't shake the feeling that we are barely learning to crawl when it comes to space travel. We have had airplanes for what, about a century? We made it the moon 50 years ago, since then, what? I'm sure our mathematics have advanced, but how is that applicable in the real world of space flight? I think in the centuries to come man kind will be doing things we would find miraculous today, that is one reason I have always been a fan of Trek.

M class planets: I don't think all life must come from M class planets. I really like the idea in Trek that other life forms evolved in what we consider inhospitable conditions. What if there are silicon based life forms? I think there are more planets out there with some form life on them then we'll ever know. Our current abilities to find and "test" these planets for life are so basic and limited, I think we are barely scraping a small fraction of the smallest percentage of what is out there.

Leaving behind evidence: THIS is the primary reason I am skeptical about the alien connection. You have an alien race (supposedly) that is out there hiding from us conducting these experiments. Why leave a dead cow behind? Wouldn't it be better to make the farmer/rancher believe his cow disappeared rather than leave a corpse with all sorts of evidence? I don't buy the government involvement angle either. If the government needed to do these kinds of things to cows, they would raise their own heard and do it in complete secret on a base somewhere. The very fact we find these cows in this condition makes me scratch my head and wonder "WTF?" If you rule out predators (which should be obvious for anyone that has ever seen an actual predator killing), then it is unexplainable how these cows were mutilated. People leave tracks, animals leave tracks, wounds usually bleed, all these things make some "other" power responsible, but then why leave evidence?

About 30 years ago there were a lot of cow mutilations in this area and southern Colorado. The government got involved and did an investigation. I saw an episode of UFO files on the History channel and I was surprised to see the address for the main researcher/investigator was in my home town!! My uncles and many other friends of the family recall when this was happening. Creepy stuff!
Old 06-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
They are fake. Some guys confessed to making them and demonstrated how they were created. I admit that I was disappointed when the story came out.
AGREED!
Old 06-20-2009, 12:25 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I don't know what to think about crop circles really but a couple things have always stood out to me concerning their authenticity.
1. Some circles predate the known hoaxers by 3-5 decades.
2. Several years ago one was discovered in Canada in a field already harvested. It was found because they were prepping the field for the next season and were there for a few days in a row. The stalks were just 6" avg and long dead but were described as bent when these should have crushed, night time temps were reported at -60°. That's a dedicated hoaxer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Leaving behind evidence: THIS is the primary reason I am skeptical about the alien connection. You have an alien race (supposedly) that is out there hiding from us conducting these experiments. Why leave a dead cow behind? Wouldn't it be better to make the farmer/rancher believe his cow disappeared rather than leave a corpse with all sorts of evidence? I don't buy the government involvement angle either. If the government needed to do these kinds of things to cows, they would raise their own heard and do it in complete secret on a base somewhere. The very fact we find these cows in this condition makes me scratch my head and wonder "WTF?" If you rule out predators (which should be obvious for anyone that has ever seen an actual predator killing), then it is unexplainable how these cows were mutilated. People leave tracks, animals leave tracks, wounds usually bleed, all these things make some "other" power responsible, but then why leave evidence?

If there's anything to this I'd most likely go with the government theory being that there's one good reason for them to do such a far out thing. If you wanted to know how badly you'd contaminated America with atomic bomb testing wouldn't you take samples from random livestock along the prevailing winds?

Old 06-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Commander

Crop Sickles: Are they for real, or what?
Old 06-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
AGREED!
I agree crop circles are easy to dismiss because MOST have obviously been made by hoaxers. But if you really look into the few cases that have qualities that are either extremely difficult (the metallic deposits) or impossible (bending of crops rather than breakage) to duplicate, then what are you left with? You can't write them ALL off because a few people say they have made them before. Researchers in this field find hoaxes all the time, they are easy to spot.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlin' Wolf View Post
If there's anything to this I'd most likely go with the government theory being that there's one good reason for them to do such a far out thing. If you wanted to know how badly you'd contaminated America with atomic bomb testing wouldn't you take samples from random livestock along the prevailing winds?
That's a great idea, but I still don't buy into it. If the government needed to test various animals throughout the country, they would buy them and test them in secret. In order for the government to achieve the same result as the cow mutilations, they would have to pick up and drop off the cow without setting foot on the ground. How would you get a sling or other harness around a cow in order to do that? It would be cheaper, easier, and leave no evidence to just buy the cow and take it to a base for study. The government could always offer the farmer or rancher three or four times the market value of the cow, what person would refuse to sell? Not many I would imagine.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Commander

Crop circles are created by Chuck Norris. Sometimes corn needs to lie the f*** down!
Old 06-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
That's a great idea, but I still don't buy into it. If the government needed to test various animals throughout the country, they would buy them and test them in secret. In order for the government to achieve the same result as the cow mutilations, they would have to pick up and drop off the cow without setting foot on the ground. How would you get a sling or other harness around a cow in order to do that? It would be cheaper, easier, and leave no evidence to just buy the cow and take it to a base for study. The government could always offer the farmer or rancher three or four times the market value of the cow, what person would refuse to sell? Not many I would imagine.

Best one I can come up with right off hand would be that it'd be easier to test in the field and hide your testing in the UFO conspiracy stories. Whereas doing it your way might raise questions from some watchdog or reporter that couldn't be blown off in the press as 'UFO crap'. As it is with cattle mutilations mainly tied to UFO's the government won't even respond to inquiries as far as I know. Makes for a good smoke screen that has the added benefit of being considered by many people as too absurd to talk about.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
Crop circles are created by Chuck Norris. Sometimes corn needs to lie the f*** down!

Say where's Akula2ssn at? He should really be here.