The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > USS Defiant in FIRST CONTACT??
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2010, 01:42 AM
Commander

As for the seeking of an "in-universe" reason. As a writer myself I understand that it is an important component of fiction to make some degree of sense beyond merely "because it would be cool". Having Worf in command of the Defiant -- given the precedent of DS9 -- is possibly more believable in-universe than the Defiant being at the battle to begin with.

Incidentally, the first episode to have the new uniforms was "Rapture".
Old 11-07-2010, 01:17 AM
Federation Councillor

I would actually tend to agree that putting Worf in command makes more sense than the Defiant being present at all.

I had written a little about this on Janeway's forum on a thread about how things get made convenient in Trek and how distances between locations vary a lot which went something like -

''Earth is a great example. Sometimes it's weeks away and sometimes not. In 'Conspiracy' the ship was supposed to be on the 'outer rim' when at Dytallix B, and they had to go to Earth. No mention is made in the script about how long the journey took but if they were that far out it should have been a long time. Yet it's portrayed as not being very long at all.

In DS9 the station was meant to be 'weeks away' also from Earth, but they also seemed to be able to zip back and forth without stating it was actually taking them weeks.

(which is why to me the
Defiant being at Earth in FC makes not a lot of actual sense - how long was the Borg cube being fought that both the Defiant and Enterprise (which was also meant to be out on the border far away by orders) could get there so fast? The battle is only meant to have been raging for 'hours' but if that was the case there seems no way the Defiant could have gotten there from DS9 so fast. Unless it was already at Earth for some reason. But that's not in the film and then you start to wander away from the point. But to be fair casual non-Trek viewers would have utterly no idea about any of that and it's a shorcut to both compress the action and get Worf into the film.).

So, it's better to keep it as consistent as possible - but writers will always circumvent it in the moment if adhering gets in the way.
''

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Commander

There really could be any number of reasons. Technically I don't really like to look at Sisko as the Defiant's CO although he is without a doubt the CO in terms of how he's portrayed on the TV. The Defiant falls under his command simply because the Defiant seems to be treated more as part of the inventory of DS9 as opposed to a ship that stationed there. Kind of like the unit I'm attached to has some boats as part of our inventory but I don't think our CO normally goes out on them. Then again, I'm not even sure if he's qualified to command any of the boats though he may at least be boat crew qualified. Although should also keep in mind that our boats are not commissioned so you're not going to see a commissioned officer in command of them.

Sisko's command is DS9 and the space immediately surrounding it. That is his real responsibility. The Defiant is simply an asset available to him. Any issue that is critical to the station is probably going to take precedence over the Defiant, unless that issue happens to involve the Defiant.

Personally I'd argue that Worf is the Defiant's true CO. We probably see him in the Defiant's command chair more than anyone else when Sisko isn't on board. The responsibilities of commanding the station and the responsibilities of being the Bajoran liason as well as XO of the station don't really make Sisko or Kira the most convenient COs. Obviously in the Dominion War once the station falls to the Dominion, there's no station of Sisko to command so he can pretty much have all his attention on the Defiant.

The Defiant is really one of those really strange characters, so to speak. She doesn't really fit any existing convention. Her role at the station is really more like that of a patrol boat yet she's supposed to be built like a capitol ship (and she certainly has the firepower).

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard

Last edited by Akula2ssn : 11-08-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

The Defiant was at the battle right at the start if u listen to the Comm chatter right at the the start of the battle you will hear the order for the Defiant and The Bozeman to attack
Old 11-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Federation Councillor

Then we would have to assume it was already in the vicinity of Earth for some other reason, because unless the Federation knew the Cube was coming for some time it still wouldn't have been able to have been assigned to the attack fleet and travel from DS9 for the battle to start in only a few hours.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Then we would have to assume it was already in the vicinity of Earth for some other reason, because unless the Federation knew the Cube was coming for some time it still wouldn't have been able to have been assigned to the attack fleet and travel from DS9 for the battle to start in only a few hours.
In which case, such information would seem to have been withheld from Picard until the last moment, when Picard was still out close to the Romulan Neutral Zone.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Fleet Admiral

I know following a time line in trek is usually useless.
it's interesting to ponder but that's about it. There is never any rhyme or reason to the concept it's just plot concerns.

You could theorize that the Borg vessel came from Deep Space but in the next movie or series it's be contradicted somehow just as the BoBW cube was destroyed but VOY and FC swear there were survivors that made it back to the collective.

Who knows...there was a scout ship there too.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
In which case, such information would seem to have been withheld from Picard until the last moment, when Picard was still out close to the Romulan Neutral Zone.
Which might in theory at least be closer than DS9 was...........since it still took an unspecified amount of time for them to travel from the NZ to Earth in the film.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I know following a time line in trek is usually useless.
it's interesting to ponder but that's about it. There is never any rhyme or reason to the concept it's just plot concerns.
I think mostly fans understand that trying to make complete sense of it all really doesn't tend to end well.

But as you say.........it's perfectly open to a ponder.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I think mostly fans understand that trying to make complete sense of it all really doesn't tend to end well.

But as you say.........it's perfectly open to a ponder.
I just get fustrated after a while..after I realised these people completely rely on my naviety to continue watching and that somehow there might be a rhyme and reason...

Trust me I can't believe I'm saying this because just two years ago I would be allowing my enjoyment of Star Trek to scold someone for being such a grouch about this like some on TrekBBS but the painful truth is that they are right. There is no longer in anything vague enough to speculate on and the maps they put out...don't matter..they don't use them...it's just for us and our imagination...ultimately for us to spend money on.

I feel a little used after wards because I have all these maps in the closet and these tech manuals that make look so thought out and planned and ...they don't use them....It's their stuff and they don't use them.

I just looked at that new tech manual...and they call impulse engines "rockets" when they've been seen doing faster than a rocket has been known to do while causing no time dialation and even going backwards with no explanation of why.

These people...they're just throwing this stuff at us...It's just money in the end. It used to mean so much more to me.