The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > The Next Generation > when they hired Stewart...???
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2009, 04:13 AM
Commander

Default when they hired Stewart...???

firstly, this is NOT criticism of TNG, Patrick Stewart, Picard or anything else.

I'm just curious, and if this has been asked before I'm sorry but I can't find it.

when Roddenberry and company cast Patrick Stewart as the lead in TNG, why did they not just change his character to English instead of keeping him French
?
Old 06-16-2009, 04:20 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Probably because Roddenberry wanted him to swear in French.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 06-16-2009, 04:36 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticarchie View Post
Probably because Roddenberry wanted him to swear in French.
but did he?
Old 06-16-2009, 05:33 AM
Commander

while checking Google for an answer I found this

http://picardisfrench.ytmnd.com/
Old 06-16-2009, 05:50 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I couldn't view that due to lack of plugins too lazy to install them, maybe later.

Check this out, "merde", French for "sh!t", was used in a few TNG first and second season episodes. It was a characteristic that was phased out over later seasons, obviously when Paramount/Studios realized what Roddenberry was up to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rICFoH5P5A

Actually though, being a Brit myself, I would have been cool with Picard being British

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 06-16-2009, 05:58 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticarchie View Post
I couldn't view that due to lack of plugins too lazy to install them, maybe later.

Check this out, "merde", French for "sh!t", was used in a few TNG first and second season episodes. It was a characteristic that was phased out over later seasons, obviously when Paramount/Studios realized what Roddenberry was up to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rICFoH5P5A

Actually though, being a Brit myself, I would have been cool with Picard being British
I never realized that... Picard's coolness level just went up a notch.

he now has a 0.5 coolness level
Old 06-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
firstly, this is NOT criticism of TNG, Patrick Stewart, Picard or anything else.

I'm just curious, and if this has been asked before I'm sorry but I can't find it.

when Roddenberry and company cast Patrick Stewart as the lead in TNG, why did they not just change his character to English instead of keeping him French
?
I've always wondered that myself, Picard's accent is just too cool to discard. I wonder if Stewart ever even tried to play him using a French accent, but just couldn't do it. I always thought they should have done this. It's just too hard to buy into him being a Frenchman with a British accent. Maybe the novel was already out and they couldn't change the character, maybe they were too pressed for time? So many possibilities. I haven't come across anything in the interviews i've seen or read relating to this. But i know Roddenberry had a problem with Stewart because of his baldness, even wanting him to wear a toupe to play the Captain.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I've always wondered that myself, Picard's accent is just too cool to discard. I wonder if Stewart ever even tried to play him using a French accent, do just couldn't do it. I always thought they should have done this. It's just too hard to buy into him being a Frenchman with a British accent. Maybe the novel was already out and they couldn't change the character, maybe they were too pressed for time?
Perhaps the English will conquer the French sometime over the next few years.