The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > If people don't intend to talk to you again...then...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Wow. She wouldn't respond to you for one whole day? How dare she be out? Or maybe be somewhere where she needs to turn her phone off (like at the movies) or out with other friends?

I never realized that giving you her number meant that she was at your beck and call, 24/7/365!

Maybe give it a bit of time? Play it cool? Leave her a message online?
I'm not that desperate and I was afriad someone was going to say this haha! But yeah, I mean you'd think that after leaving a message...that she would reply within a month haha! And then of course when you see that individual in person again, they act like, "Hey! You never contacted me!" lol Hahaha! And you want to say, "Actually I did...twice." But it's just a waste of time as Vincent Cain said.

Although if she was on my beck and call it would be great! LOL I'm kidding! :P

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 06-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
I'm not that desperate and I was afriad someone was going to say this haha! But yeah, I mean you'd think that after leaving a message...that she would reply within a month haha! And then of course when you see that individual in person again, they act like, "Hey! You never contacted me!" lol Hahaha! And you want to say, "Actually I did...twice." But it's just a waste of time as Vincent Cain said.

Although if she was on my beck and call it would be great! LOL I'm kidding! :P
Quark, when soemone is serious about you, ther'll be no questions. Take it from someone that has had done to them what you had done many times.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
It's a society thing. We stil overall teach girls that you don't try to hurt male feeling. Sadly outdated and no excuse for what happened to Quark.
No excuse, of course. Dames is poison! Quark baby, if I were 20 years younger and lived in Cali, I'd give you my cellphone #...
Old 06-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
No excuse, of course. Dames is poison! Quark baby, if I were 20 years younger and lived in Cali, I'd give you my cellphone #...
Jer...so that number you gave me 1-800-jane-way isn't good? ROFL!

(i'm kidding gang, the number is fake!)
Old 06-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Commander

At some point there will be someone who will call you back.

Perhaps she got nervous -- especially on the morning after. That's always been my reason for not getting in contact with virtual strangers again.

I would suggest - it's not personal, and not to worry. Where some people do not go, others may.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I made it a rule that if a guy asked me for my number, he would not get it...but I would tell him no, not give him a fake, or give my number, then ignore him...if a guy wanted to get a hold of me again, he could give me his number...and then he would be told not to expect a call for at least a week. If I did not see him at the place we met within that week, the number got deleted...this was usually at my local bar, so if he had not been there within a week, he wasn't worth knowing...he would see me at the bar, or he wouldn't see me at all.

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!
Old 06-14-2009, 12:30 AM
Lieutenant Commander

In my experience nice people don't play games or jerk you around. Much as it's easy to get strongly drawn towards unsuitable people, I've always much preferred to date nice, honest, decent people who respect me as a person. Ultimately, the opposite sex can be cruel and this is tough when you're young and insecure but things work out for the best in the end. Humans aren't rare, there's always another one to choose from. :-)
Old 06-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Lieutenant Commander

In my case, it was to keep any one I dated from knowing where I lived...cause the house is my Dad's, not mine. I'm not in the dating scene anymore, so now if I'm asked, the answer is "No, you can't have my number...but you can have my boyfriends!"

Old 06-14-2009, 05:09 AM
Lieutenant

I'm more or less in line with what Vincent Cain says. I was once given a fake number at a time when I didn't know that this was something that some women did. It left me feeling I had been played for a fool. When I later described the experience to others I was told that she might have felt too nervous/shy/uncomfortable/something to have told me 'No' plainly, and that I should be understanding of her feelings. I am quite capable of understanding her (possible) feelings, but also note that she disrespected mine without any trouble at all. Reflecting on her general demeanor, I'd say she had considerable tabs on herself and didn't think I was in her league. I now certainly hope this was the case because, on consideration, I think I'd rather be in my league that hers.

I'm glad to read, FranCat, that you would be clear and say 'No' and not play a game at a person's expense. No-one likes rejection, of course, but it's easier to deal with that at the time it happens than to chase an unreal hope given by someone who is rude enough to contemptuously hurt someone for daring to ask for a date.

The onus today is still typically on the male to ask for a date and it takes a lot of courage when there is a better than average chance of rejection; but being told 'No' is better than to have one's feelings totally trashed by some uncaring liar.

Now, having said all that, I can argue the other side. Some males can be pushy, think they are grand and, by their attitude, convey they are sleazes and are looking to bed the girl. Any smart girl would want to avoid a creep like this and, if he looks the sort to not take 'No' for an answer or behave like he's being treated unfairly, it can be understandable why a girl would look for a remedy that would make the guy go away and leave her in peace.

In the end I'd say it depends of the girl's perception of the attitude of the male. A decent and genuine male doesn't deserve to be mocked with a false hope, while a selfish jerk deserves little respect. A male would do well to respect a girl and enjoy who she is and her company, and not look at her as a hope for sex.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:40 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Well, in all fairness, when I was dating, I was usually the one who picked up the guy, I didn't wait for him to notice me. Every once in a while, though, I would go to my bar to hang out with friends I already knew...and was not looking for a guy that night...and almost always, some 'young stud' would come up and talk to me, even though I was already clearly with a group of people. This usually led to them being thrown out, since my friends own the place... but that only happened if they tried to lay a hand on me after I clearly told them NO I was not interested. these were always the ones that asked for my number, so I had no problem telling them no.

One of my girl friends, though, did have the nasty little habit we are discussing, and when I caught her giving out MY number, instead of her own, I called her on it, right in front of the guy. Guess who my boyfriend is? yes, the guy I ratted her out in front of...but he waited for another week, then Gave me his e-mail, not his number, so that we could chat first, without feeling pressured to return each other's phone calls. Now, she no longer does it...she saw how bad it made him feel, when he found out, so she changed her ways.