The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > If people don't intend to talk to you again...then...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Rear Admiral

Question If people don't intend to talk to you again...then...

Why do some girls/guys give you their numbers only to ignore you in the long run? In my case, I'm talking about girls, but I don't want to sound sexist or offensive to anyone on here, because all of you are awesome and if it wasn't for this site, I wouldn't know what I would do! But yeah, I wonder why that is. I mean, I got a number from one girl at my school because we met and had a really good conversation, yet when I texted her the next day and even called her, she didn't reply.

Why not just give a fake number or something? I mean, it's kind of weird. But I guess everyone has their reasons and I guess that if I did shee that person again, it would be akward for them if I asked, "Hey, you never gave me your real number." But, rather then telling them that, I would assume already that they just didn't want to hurt my feelings. But, I mean when people are straightforward things can be so much easier! But, I guess life wouldn't be worth living in that case, haha!

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 06-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Vice Admiral

Easier for some, but its all about personalities and all that. Some people have real problems with something like that. I wouldnt call it a failing, just human nature.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Commander

In my experience most human nature is a failing.....but then again, I'm a very cynical bitter man.
You did what you could on your end; if she can't be bothered to follow through sincerely, she's just a waste of space in your life.
That may sound harsh, but it makes it much simpler to weed out the shallow from the sincere in humans.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

It seems to me to be possibly stemming from a bit of insecurity. Although it seems clear that she would have preferred to have gone separate ways after your good conversation, perhaps she felt pressured to follow through - insecurity can oftentimes breed a general distaste for confrontation (which, if it IS an issue with confrontation, it would make sense that she would push this inevitable aspect of your short relationship to a time when it was to become very limited - i.e., over the phone or ignoring you easily).

Also, if the conversation really was as good as you assert (for both of you), perhaps something happened that would account for her limited availability. I'm not entirely informed regarding the specifics of the time frame here, but if it hasn't been long, I would suggest giving it a bit of time before jumping to conclusions.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:56 AM
Fleet Admiral

When it comes to women, I never hold my breath.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:32 AM
Vice Admiral

Girls have a problem saying "no" sometimes, so they take the easy way out.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:50 AM
Commander

Also, I take it you're a young lad; in which case your confusion is very understandable.
Back when I was say 15-17, women confused me a helluva lot more than they do now; on the other hand, perhaps I just didn't have the patience for any nonsense after a couple of years of teenage dating.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Girls have a problem saying "no" sometimes, so they take the easy way out.
It's a society thing. We stil overall teach girls that you don't try to hurt male feeling. Sadly outdated and no excuse for what happened to Quark.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Wow. She wouldn't respond to you for one whole day? How dare she be out? Or maybe be somewhere where she needs to turn her phone off (like at the movies) or out with other friends?

I never realized that giving you her number meant that she was at your beck and call, 24/7/365!

Maybe give it a bit of time? Play it cool? Leave her a message online?

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Rear Admiral

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Cain View Post
In my experience most human nature is a failing.....but then again, I'm a very cynical bitter man.
You did what you could on your end; if she can't be bothered to follow through sincerely, she's just a waste of space in your life.
That may sound harsh, but it makes it much simpler to weed out the shallow from the sincere in humans.
This is very true! I'm going to save this and remember this quote! Thanks a lot dude! Helped out!

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable