The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > Did the Guardian cement the Kirk/Spock/McCoy friendship?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post
Maybe, but I liked the original script way better.
And thinking about Kevin's assumption, I belive the original script would have split the trio rather than anything else.

There were elements of the close interaction between the three in, I believe, "Requium for Methusualh" McCoy tells Spock something of the Glories and lows, of love, victories, and defeats in life. (Being human). Spock later melds with Kirk to ease Kirk's grief at loosing (the love of his life).
Old 06-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
There were elements of the close interaction between the three in, I believe, "Requium for Methusualh" McCoy tells Spock something of the Glories and lows, of love, victories, and defeats in life. (Being human). Spock later melds with Kirk to ease Kirk's grief at loosing (the love of his life).
That I found extremly awkward. The most out of place thing Spock ever did.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post
That I found extremly awkward. The most out of place thing Spock ever did.
As much as I loved the movie for me the most out of place Spock's ever done is lip-lock with Uhura on the transporter pad. I mean, I'd do it, but for Spock to do that seemed surprising. To me.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 06-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Fleet Admiral

We as fans were Kirk in this movie.
We saw the Enterprise and were amazed. We knew what's going on in the KM test. We were like "What the...?!" when Spock kissed

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 06-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Federation Councillor

I would certainly like to see perhaps in the sequel, an event of that nature. Something like that experience that would serve to bond the three men from the initial friendship that exists at the point we ended Star Trek on.

Not per se a remake of this episode, but certainly that kind of event.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Rear Admiral

I definitely want an bigger beafier part for McCoy. Urban's great.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 06-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Rear Admiral

I'd have to agree!

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 06-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Admiral

On City....I'm not sure I'd agree it was the episode that cemented the concept of the trinity. It's definitely got a special wonder and the relationship among the men is part of that. Kirk takes Spock back to old earth with him, and Spock agrees to go....isn't that utterly illogical? But, of course, they aren't thinking logically. Their friend has gone and despite the fact that every other member of the landing party would blend in better, Spock goes.

(I'll note that fan fic loves this episode because Spock covers one of the two beds with his mnemonic memory circuit....**sigh**)

I think the very first episode aired (The Man Trap) established a very close bond between McCoy and Kirk. The whole "Plum" scene is just too cute and you can tell, Kirk will be using the nickname forevermore to rev McCoy up.

I think The Naked Time sort of cemented the Spock-Kirk friendship. Spock weeping about how he's shamed by his feeling of friendship for Kirk is pretty powerful stuff.

While City might have been an episode in which it all came into focus, I think most of the preceding episodes had built on the idea of very deep friendship.

I also think the episode that followed City (Operation: Annihilate! ) was far more emotionally wrenching from a trinity point of view. Spock first being infected and then being blinded brought both McCoy and Kirk's emotions to the forefront. And, of course, there was Spock...

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 06-13-2009, 06:22 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
(I'll note that fan fic loves this episode because Spock covers one of the two beds with his mnemonic memory circuit....**sigh**)
The **sigh** made me LOL Eliza. Actresses in sprayed on catsuits do it for me but a tech-strewn bed....kinky!

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 06-13-2009, 07:12 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
On City....I'm not sure I'd agree it was the episode that cemented the concept of the trinity. It's definitely got a special wonder and the relationship among the men is part of that. Kirk takes Spock back to old earth with him, and Spock agrees to go....isn't that utterly illogical? But, of course, they aren't thinking logically. Their friend has gone and despite the fact that every other member of the landing party would blend in better, Spock goes.

I think the very first episode aired (The Man Trap) established a very close bond between McCoy and Kirk. The whole "Plum" scene is just too cute and you can tell, Kirk will be using the nickname forevermore to rev McCoy up.

I think The Naked Time sort of cemented the Spock-Kirk friendship. Spock weeping about how he's shamed by his feeling of friendship for Kirk is pretty powerful stuff.

While City might have been an episode in which it all came into focus, I think most of the preceding episodes had built on the idea of very deep friendship.

I also think the episode that followed City (Operation: Annihilate! ) was far more emotionally wrenching from a trinity point of view. Spock first being infected and then being blinded brought both McCoy and Kirk's emotions to the forefront. And, of course, there was Spock...
Thanks for your thoughts Eliza.

Certainly I do acknowledge that there was instances in the episodes prior that gave some of the sense, but in watching them again so fully I felt that it was this episode where it all got 'gelled' into it's final place.

It's interesting you mention 'Operation: Annihilate' because it's the second episode in a row that Kirk suffers a loss - the obviously more personal one of his brother - whith Spock and McCoy there to support him, alongside Spock's story in that episode, and I wonder if there was any kind of deliberateness about the ordering at the time.

courtesy of Saquist