The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What would Gene think?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Lieutenant

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
What would Gene think?

Where's my damn check?
LOL

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by erruve View Post
I won't be around to see it, but I would be the last person to be surprised if at some future date, the designs we see in Star Trek are not used in the future because their cultural significance will be so ingrained, we almost have to do it.

And that includes the funny platter shaped ship with a body driven by engines in nacelles.
and i hope it would still make sense to name one of those ships Enterprise
Old 06-11-2009, 04:08 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Take this however you like. I met Gene a few times at cons in the early 1970's. I was just a kid in high school, but Gene was always the kind of guy (especially in those days) who would find a Saturday night room party and sit around talking about science fiction, the future, and Trek with the fans. (This was also back before conventions became the 3-ring circuses they are now. Back when things were far more intimate.)

But one thing he did say, which I will always remember, was the disappointment in his voice about having to abandon the "Number One" character from the first pilot, "The Cage." Long, long before Lt. Ellen Ripley was out there, kicking alien butt, and before Ivonava stepped foot on B5, Number One would have been the strong, all business while on duty, female role model. But, he had to axe her because she didn't test well with advance audiances.

I think if Gene had anything to say about the reboot, it might have been that he would have re-introduced that character. Now, in the early years of the 21st century... the time would be right.
Isn't Ivonava spelled with IVAN...thus Ivanava or Ivannava?

Old 06-11-2009, 04:43 AM
Federation Councillor

I believe it was Susan Ivanova - but I think we knew who FanWriter meant.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-11-2009, 05:59 AM
Fleet Admiral

There you go...Ivanova...
I always liked her name.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:59 AM
Federation Councillor

GR made it clear in mnay interviews over the decades he hoped Trek would go on, even without him.

He even remarked that he hoped one day that it would be so diffrent from his verions that people would say, "What were they thinking back then?"

He'd be very ok with this.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1701 View Post
After seeing all the posts on here discusing things like the new ship being too big and it violating all cannon, what do you think Roddenberry would think of his creation getting a new make over and coming back from the dead for the second time, i love this film and love the new vision JJ has set out for us, and i think he would of been pleased with it, but this is the important bit, star trek is now more popular than star wars and its here to stay
didn't he speak once at a convention that he hoped at some point in the future new, young actors would play Kirk, Spock, etc.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

DammitJim i dont know lol, but i think the casting was really well done on this film, and even Scotty i still wasnt sure about him before i went to see the film but simon pegg did a great job, scotty was always a bit of comic relief, sorry for the spelling lol. I think the next film will have a lot to offer people, just in the same way Dark Knight did, but i mean they keep recasting James Bond and that is just as popular as ever, i wouldnt want them to keep recasting Star Trek, but it has been done before even in Batman, glossing over George Clooney lol, as i said before we should all be glad that Star Trek is back
Old 06-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1701 View Post
DammitJim i dont know lol, but i think the casting was really well done on this film, and even Scotty i still wasnt sure about him before i went to see the film but simon pegg did a great job, scotty was always a bit of comic relief, sorry for the spelling lol. I think the next film will have a lot to offer people, just in the same way Dark Knight did, but i mean they keep recasting James Bond and that is just as popular as ever, i wouldnt want them to keep recasting Star Trek, but it has been done before even in Batman, glossing over George Clooney lol, as i said before we should all be glad that Star Trek is back
Most of us are very glad.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 06-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Midshipman

Thumbs up

I think that after viewing the film Gene would have said......More Green Women!