The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What would Gene think?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default What would Gene think?

After seeing all the posts on here discusing things like the new ship being too big and it violating all cannon, what do you think Roddenberry would think of his creation getting a new make over and coming back from the dead for the second time, i love this film and love the new vision JJ has set out for us, and i think he would of been pleased with it, but this is the important bit, star trek is now more popular than star wars and its here to stay
Old 06-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Lieutenant

I think Gene would've been pleased as punch to see the old girl get a makeover and his dream get a new lease on life.

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 06-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

I think Roddenberry and Abrams would make an unstoppable them.
Gene would add intelligence
JJ would add...awesomeness.

But with out each other there is a blanding effect.
Intelligence can be over done as Gene often did.
Explosions and FX's can be hollow and they were in this movie.

Gene is gone so it's not likely to happen that there will truely be a Dark Knight level Star Trek movie.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1701 View Post
After seeing all the posts on here discusing things like the new ship being too big and it violating all cannon, what do you think Roddenberry would think of his creation getting a new make over and coming back from the dead for the second time, i love this film and love the new vision JJ has set out for us, and i think he would of been pleased with it, but this is the important bit, star trek is now more popular than star wars and its here to stay
I can't speak with or for the dead, so I can't tell.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Wayne gets something that most people appear to overlook in the general angst over changes etc. What JJ did was prove that these icons matter; that they could be recreated, and so long as key elements are observed, they would remain relevant in our time.

Aside from the Beatles (and they don't count) I cannot think of another artistic cultural phenomenon that has had the resonant impact which Star Trek did upon the people who watched in the 60s and 70s. These people were inspired and went on to develop much of the world around us.

JJ has proven that it mattered by reiginiting our collective imagination. He reminded us. And it will continue to matter. Star Trek will be re-envisioned again in 40 years and be important.

I won't be around to see it, but I would be the last person to be surprised if at some future date, the designs we see in Star Trek are not used in the future because their cultural significance will be so ingrained, we almost have to do it.

And that includes the funny platter shaped ship with a body driven by engines in nacelles.

What would Gene think about his creation being timeless? LOL
~
Old 06-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Commander

JJ has proven that it mattered by reiginiting our collective imagination. He reminded us. And it will continue to matter. Star Trek will be re-envisioned again in 40 years and be important.

I won't be around to see it, but I would be the last person to be surprised if at some future date, the designs we see in Star Trek are not used in the future because their cultural significance will be so ingrained, we almost have to do it.

And that includes the funny platter shaped ship with a body driven by engines in nacelles.

What would Gene think about his creation being timeless? LOL
~[/quote]

And in 40+ years, that present, our future, will have altered enough to warrant a different "look" for the funny ship, as in JJ's revisioning of the Enterprise, though as you say, those key elements will have become an unchangeable design element for the "new" ship. The "TOS" ship, The "STTMP" ship, and all of the rest of the earlier cosmetic variations of the Enterprise never changed that formula. The same goes for the "New" Enterprise.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post

And in 40+ years, that present, our future, will have altered enough to warrant a different "look" for the funny ship, as in JJ's revisioning of the Enterprise, though as you say, those key elements will have become an unchangeable design element for the "new" ship. The "TOS" ship, The "STTMP" ship, and all of the rest of the earlier cosmetic variations of the Enterprise never changed that formula. The same goes for the "New" Enterprise.
And yet, it will remain immediately recognizable. As will the main characters.

I'd also mention that a lot of the gags the tick people off in the movie are fated to become indelible. Comedy will pick up on the Hamster Habitat, the hypo spray slapstick, hanging from cliffs etc., and poignantly, Spock's angst and suffering will be canon. Whether they bring Vulcan back or not in a future imagining, I think this is forever with us.

Live Long And Prosper
~
Old 06-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Rear Admiral

What would Gene think?

Where's my damn check?
Old 06-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Federation Councillor

I wouldn't presume to know what Gene Roddenberry would think precisely, but from some quotes attributed to him, I get the impression he would not have overly minded any more than he minded some of the things that were done when he was alive.

As for differentials - Roddenberry's willingness to 'not stick' to things shows up very clearly in several ways in the early episodes of TOS.

So I get the same impression about the 'canon' stuff.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Take this however you like. I met Gene a few times at cons in the early 1970's. I was just a kid in high school, but Gene was always the kind of guy (especially in those days) who would find a Saturday night room party and sit around talking about science fiction, the future, and Trek with the fans. (This was also back before conventions became the 3-ring circuses they are now. Back when things were far more intimate.)

But one thing he did say, which I will always remember, was the disappointment in his voice about having to abandon the "Number One" character from the first pilot, "The Cage." Long, long before Lt. Ellen Ripley was out there, kicking alien butt, and before Ivonava stepped foot on B5, Number One would have been the strong, all business while on duty, female role model. But, he had to axe her because she didn't test well with advance audiances.

I think if Gene had anything to say about the reboot, it might have been that he would have re-introduced that character. Now, in the early years of the 21st century... the time would be right.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.