The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > DS9 isn't Trek.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Lieutenant Commander

DS9 is Star Trek.

Anyone who disagrees is quite frankly talking nonsense.

The only arguments I ever see saying that it "isn't Star Trek" are based on the fact that it didn't rigidly adhere to standards which have simply been plucked out of thin air.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
Wow... we'll just have to agree to disagree I'm afraid. If I had time, I would bring you an exhaustive list of Voyager episodes which dealt with questions about human nature and especially moral dilemmas. They were stuck in the friggin' Delta Quadrant, for cryin' out loud. Do you seriously think that Janeway almost never had to face any moral dilemmas?! Every new encounter with an unknown species would turn into a moral dilemma, the most obvious one coming in the form of making the decision to keep Seven of Nine onboard Voyager. And tell me, what better way is there to learn about your own human nature than to encounter and/or be confronted regularly by new alien species? And this is NOT as Trek as TOS, TNG and DS9?
Moral dilemma doesn't always equal exploration of humanity. With VOY I would honestly struggle to come up with a list of more than three or four episodes that compare with The Measure of the Man, The Offspring, Duet or The City on the Edge of Forever.

Y'see all those episodes start with either character development or a moral question. "Can a machine be alive?" Duet challenges the Bajoran view that Cardassian = evil. And by using the Cardassian/Bajorans as a metaphor for the Nazis/Jews makes us look at that situation through new eyes.

VOY (and to a lesser extent ENT) episodes tended to start with the likes of: "the crew encounter a space anomaly", "Janeway and Paris are sent back in time", "aliens steal tech from Voyager", ect. Any character development that gets tacked on then becomes secondary to the anomaly/alien of the week.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Lieutenant

Interesting...

"It might not be so bad. For all we know the Vorta could be gluttonous, alcoholic sex maniacs."
~Quark and Ziyal
Old 02-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Commander

Logically.....

Deep Space Nine is set in the Star Trek universe. Therefore it is Trek.

But whether it is or isn't probably means very little in the long run. Either way it's pretty damn sweet.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Fleet Admiral

It's not really trek...
there not going any where which is the operative word in Star trek...

Old 02-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Midshipman

definitely trek, and definitely the most consistently best of trek.

the across-the-board growth and exploration of the characters from season 1 to 7 was unparallelled.

the problem with voyager (and enterprise, to a lesser extent), imho, was they operated in a vacuum. the best tng stories dealt with either extreme human condition exploration, or by interacting and exploring the dynamic between other established races in the trek world.

alien-of-the-week shows were always the weakest. by design, almost all voyager shows were like that, simply by geography.

as for not going anywhere, ds9 turned that on it's head, by making everone come to them.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Fleet Admiral

It explored people but not space.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Commander

Quote:
Wow... we'll just have to agree to disagree I'm afraid. If I had time, I would bring you an exhaustive list of Voyager episodes which dealt with questions about human nature and especially moral dilemmas
I also could. But from Voygaer on they were not as often as they were before anymore, and not that intensive (just meeting new races isn't enough) and I personally think they are made worse - just think of the Tuvix disaster - THAT was not Trek. In Voyager action became more important than message.

Last edited by TheTrekkie : 02-29-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
It explored people but not space.
It may not be a Trek across the Universe (from this statment) but a trek into the spirit of people.

"Four hundred years ago, a victorious general spoke the following words at the end of another costly war: 'Today the guns are silent. A great tragedy has ended... we have known the bitterness of defeat and the exultation of triumph, and from both we have learned there can be no going back. We must move forward to preserve in peace what we've won in war'."

- William Ross, quoting Douglas MacArthur
Old 02-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Captain

Its true, DS9 is not Star Trek for two very good reasons:

Ira Steven Behr and Ira Steven Behr.

He expressed many times in many interviews that he never liked TNG and wanted to give the new show a totally new direction - mean, dark and edgy.

Now, if you all would read Genes proposals for Star Trek and TNG again!

Deep Space Nine is a totally new and different show. A spin off, yes, but totally different then the original because thats exactly what Ira Steven Behr wanted.

And this is the reason for the fandom to be so diverse in style and taste nowadays: You have pre-DS9 fans and post-DS9 fans and people who like both directions.