The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > DS9 isn't Trek.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Commander

And anyway regardless of whether DS9 is "Trek" enough for people, there's no denying that it's brilliant Sci Fi.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:10 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

People who think DS9 isn't Trek have missed the point.

VOY and ENT are the least Trek-like.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:41 AM
Ensign

And once again, the're are some who think ds9 is not ST, while too dark, to warlike and to many human conflicts. Those people say that DS9 has abandoned the positive trek philosofy.
Those fans haven't probably seen several TOS and TNG epsiodes, like the doomsday maschine, nor have they seen Star Trek II and VI (considered one of ST best films).
All those movies and episiodes deal with inter-human problems, corruption , the devastation of war, etc.
DS9 is trek of the mid 90', a representation of the society of the mid 90' as TOS was end 60'-beginning 70'.
The way DS9 deals with war, the danger of religious fanatism,...
And the development of the "outsiders" worf, nog, bashir, ... are wunderfully done.

DS9 is pure ST.

Last edited by Miguelito : 02-25-2008 at 05:48 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Eris_ View Post
Oh, very well said.
I guess, to those that actually have never watched the whole show,
I can see why they would say it 'isn't trek'.
Because they're not on a 'starship' seeking out new life and new
civilizations, even though the beginning of that trailer I posted showed
them in a whole new quadrant of the galaxy...

Because it's not "Gene's Vision" to see war? Is that why? We really are
supposed to be perfect in the 24th century, according to his vision? I'm
wondering if he meant that Earth itself, would no longer have wars on
it, such as the World Wars and all that.
Even Gene knew there was going to be war. In TNG there was the Cardassian War, which was going on for the first couple of seasons (if I remember right), though it was never seen on screen. It did affect a lot of people. O'Brian, Maxwell.

Not to mention they had the Borg, a group that's philosophy was a lot stricter then even the Dominion.

I don't think Gene ever thought that the Universe would be perfect, so saying DS9 isn't Trek is like saying ENT isn't Trek. And I am not an ENT fan.

And I have to say I fully agree with Livingston. Great post.

"Four hundred years ago, a victorious general spoke the following words at the end of another costly war: 'Today the guns are silent. A great tragedy has ended... we have known the bitterness of defeat and the exultation of triumph, and from both we have learned there can be no going back. We must move forward to preserve in peace what we've won in war'."

- William Ross, quoting Douglas MacArthur
Old 02-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS9TREK View Post
People who think DS9 isn't Trek have missed the point. VOY and ENT are the least Trek-like.
I was waiting for someone to say something like this.... While I'm not saying that DS9 isn't Trek, Voyager and Enterprise were all about EXPLORATION, which is totally Trek. You shouldn't say that that those 2 series were the least Trek-like simply because you really don't like them. And if you do think they're not Trek-like, then please give us some arguments as to why they aren't.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
I was waiting for someone to say something like this.... While I'm not saying that DS9 isn't Trek, Voyager and Enterprise were all about EXPLORATION, which is totally Trek. You shouldn't say that that those 2 series were the least Trek-like simply because you really don't like them. And if you do think they're not Trek-like, then please give us some arguments as to why they aren't.
Star Trek is about exploration, but NOT space. Trek at its best explores the Human condition. VOY and ENT didn't do that, they were action adventure shows at their core. Especially VOY.

So like I said originally - people who think DS9 isn't Trek have missed the point.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:56 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS9TREK View Post
Star Trek is about exploration, but NOT space. Trek at its best explores the Human condition. VOY and ENT didn't do that, they were action adventure shows at their core. Especially VOY.
Absolutely, but that doesn't mean those two shows didn't, on occasion, do great character driven stories too.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:00 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
Of course Voyager and Enterprise are pure Trek, but they are least-Trek compared to TOS, TNG and DS9.
In Voyager and Enterprise questions about the human nature, moral dilemmas etc. almost didn't appear.

At TNG times there was the order that every or almost every episode hat to have a main point, a message. When RDM tried to go to Voyager after DS9 ended the first question he had was which message, which main point this episode had. And Bermann & Co couldn't respond. There wasn't any.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by InabaKoshi View Post
A good post, but all this is extraneous in that without the Prophet's wormhole, none of this would have come to pass. Everything in DS9 comes down to the cave and the three people there at the end.
I wouldn't say it's extraneous, I think it does apply to what people are talking about here. I haven't seen the last episode yet, so I haven't seen the three people in the cave, but it evidently takes 7 seasons to get there, surely there's a little room for discussion of how they get to that cave.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 02-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrekkie View Post
Of course Voyager and Enterprise are pure Trek, but they are least-Trek compared to TOS, TNG and DS9. In Voyager and Enterprise questions about the human nature, moral dilemmas etc. almost didn't appear.
Wow... we'll just have to agree to disagree I'm afraid. If I had time, I would bring you an exhaustive list of Voyager episodes which dealt with questions about human nature and especially moral dilemmas. They were stuck in the friggin' Delta Quadrant, for cryin' out loud. Do you seriously think that Janeway almost never had to face any moral dilemmas?! Every new encounter with an unknown species would turn into a moral dilemma, the most obvious one coming in the form of making the decision to keep Seven of Nine onboard Voyager. And tell me, what better way is there to learn about your own human nature than to encounter and/or be confronted regularly by new alien species? And this is NOT as Trek as TOS, TNG and DS9?