The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Does T4 depart from Traditional 'Terminator' Movies?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-09-2009, 11:37 AM
chator's Avatar
chator chator is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,261
Default Does T4 depart from Traditional 'Terminator' Movies?

I just had a thought, most of all the Terminator films take place in the present, even the television show. Remember that famous quote, "The Battle for the future takes place in the present," well, the T4 doesn't. Mostly all of the 'Terminator' films deal with future beings battling it out in the past, that is, our present, when humans have not yet been enslaved by the Terminators, and deal with the attempt by these future beings to kill/protect John Connor. New film doesn't do this, so it really is a major departure. I'm not saying this doesn't make it "authentic" Terminator, i just noticed how it was different. What does this mean?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-09-2009, 11:41 AM
radoskal's Avatar
radoskal radoskal is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 952
Default

I just think the battle across time concept was getting worn thin...especially after the series where it seemed like skynet had nothing better to do than chuck terminators into the past.
__________________
Mom, how many times do I have to tell you, Track is what athletes run on. Trek is what the Enterprise goes on.

-Free Enterprise
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-09-2009, 11:41 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

I find it makes it less interesting - instead of working with the idea that the future is NOT set, it (starting with T3) says that the future IS set, and cannot be avoided.

It's the opposite of the idea James Cameron was trying to work with.

And much as the Star Wars prequels are for some, I have a feeling that seeing the future is not going to be as interesting as seeing glimpses while trying to stop it coming to pass.

Especially if McG stays onboard.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-09-2009, 01:31 PM
DammitJim's Avatar
DammitJim DammitJim is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,294
Default

it still feels like TERMINATOR.

movie wise there was no way they could stick with "the present day"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-09-2009, 01:39 PM
DammitJim's Avatar
DammitJim DammitJim is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I find it makes it less interesting - instead of working with the idea that the future is NOT set, it (starting with T3) says that the future IS set, and cannot be avoided.

It's the opposite of the idea James Cameron was trying to work with.
kevin, I've often wondered about the whole "the future is not set" philosphey of T1 and T2. it contradicts itself.

John Connor cannot exsist without Skynet, and vice versa.

Skynet creates a time machine and sends a Terminator back in time to destroy Connor's mother.
Connor use the same time machine to send his father back in time to protect and impregnate his mother.
Skynet's creation is set in montion by the discovery of the Terminator remains. Connor's creation is made possible by Skynet.

POW!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-09-2009, 01:41 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

I guess for me, it's a reverse Star Trek scenario.

Where Abrams film felt like Star Trek to me and not to others, Terminator 4 didn't feel like Terminator to me. Just a standard blow-it-all-up flick.

But, so as not to blame McG fully, that feeling did begin with T3.

Essentially, I'm only really into Cameron/Arnie Terminator. The presence of Arnie papered over some of that feeling in T3 but his absence here showed up that Terminator is now only a generic destruct-athon.

And I have Transformers for that purpose!!
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-09-2009, 01:43 PM
DammitJim's Avatar
DammitJim DammitJim is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,294
Default

to be honest, the Infiltrator model wouldn't be much good if they all looked the same.

Last edited by DammitJim : 06-09-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-09-2009, 01:50 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
kevin, I've often wondered about the whole "the future is not set" philosphey of T1 and T2. it contradicts itself.

John Connor cannot exsist without Skynet, and vice versa.

Skynet creates a time machine and sends a Terminator back in time to destroy Connor's mother.
Connor use the same time machine to send his father back in time to protect and impregnate his mother.
Skynet's creation is set in montion by the discovery of the Terminator remains. Connor's creation is made possible by Skynet.

POW!!!
I follow that. But Cameron still emphasized the positive outcome.

This is why I get headaches out of time travel.

Either John Connor is stuck in a loop he will never escape from (he sends his father back, but that causes the creation of the very device that destroys mankind, thus the suggestion is they will just go round and round until the cycle is broken) -

Or would he cease to exist once he stopped the creation of Skynet? But would have saved mankind.

Or would he continue to live anyway, even if he was never able to send his 'father' back to create him, as since he already existed, it's simply this loop that has been broken, allowing him to continue.

Like the cause and effect cycle of the TNG episode.

The scene Cameron cut from the end of T2 showed Sarah and John alive in a peaceful future, so Cameron may have been thinking along those lines.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-09-2009, 01:52 PM
DammitJim's Avatar
DammitJim DammitJim is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I follow that. But Cameron still emphasized the positive outcome.

This is why I get headaches out of time travel.

Either John Connor is stuck in a loop he will never escape from (he sends his father back, but that causes the creation of the very device that destroys mankind, thus the suggestion is they will just go round and round until the cycle is broken) -

Or would he cease to exist once he stopped the creation of Skynet? But would have saved mankind.

Or would he continue to live anyway, even if he was never able to send his 'father' back to create him, as since he already existed, it's simply this loop that has been broken, allowing him to continue.

Like the cause and effect cycle of the TNG episode.

The scene Cameron cut from the end of T2 showed Sarah and John alive in a peaceful future, so Cameron may have been thinking along those lines.
but then there would be no more KA-BLOOEY!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-09-2009, 01:58 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

I have Transformers for KA-BLOOEY!!! Or T3.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.