The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Lore > B-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Ensign

Default Lore > B-4

So, here we are. Star Trek: Nemesis.

Forgiving the abomination B-4, the one thing that bothered me most was the absolute omission of Lore's existence. Was this ever explained?

External Inertial Damper is Operating at Capacity.

Disengage before the Vulcan makes you look bad.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Commander

It's not something most non-fans would know about. Any mention of Lore would therefore seem superfluous.

The feature films are almost a separate sub-canon from the TV series anyway. Much in the same way that the TOS-verse and TNG-verse are/were in regards to each other, but for different reasons of practicality.

The best 'explanation' is that Lore probably was mentioned at some point (coming across another 'prototype' of Data hardly seems an everyday occurance), but for the purposses of telling this story as a movie we skipped over that moment. I'd be willing to bet the novelization probably mentions Lore.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
It's not something most non-fans would know about. Any mention of Lore would therefore seem superfluous.

The feature films are almost a separate sub-canon from the TV series anyway. Much in the same way that the TOS-verse and TNG-verse are/were in regards to each other, but for different reasons of practicality.

The best 'explanation' is that Lore probably was mentioned at some point (coming across another 'prototype' of Data hardly seems an everyday occurance), but for the purposses of telling this story as a movie we skipped over that moment. I'd be willing to bet the novelization probably mentions Lore.
I'd bet that the novelization mentions him as well.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Ensign

Thanks for the feedback... I bet it's a great read...

Has anyone read Star Trek: Nemesis and can support this claim?

External Inertial Damper is Operating at Capacity.

Disengage before the Vulcan makes you look bad.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:27 AM
Commander

I have not, as Nemesis really disconnected for me. I stopped reading Star Trek novels around that time anyway, for better or worse. I have hardcovers of the first three TNG films I picked up at The Experience, but I still haven't read them. They're mostly shelf decoration, I guess.

I would assume J.M. Dillard wrote the Nemesis book? She's pretty thorough, if I recall. I'd be surprised if she didn't (bring up Lore, I mean).

Old 06-09-2009, 03:11 AM
Rear Admiral

The idea favored at both Memory Alpha and Memory Beta is that B4 was Dr. Soong's first attempt at building a positronic android, but the results were less than satisfactory. Lore and Data were built afterward, but Soong apparently chose not to inform either of them of B4 (or presumably, B1 through B3 as well).

Some people have forgotten that the TNG episode "Inheritence" featured a later model Soong-type android that was even more advanced and humanlike than Data, but she was programmed to resemble Soong's deceased wife, Dr. Julia Tainer. This wasn't discovered until a cave accident injury revealed that Julia was an android.

Looking at it from that perspective, Soong actually had a habit of building androids and not telling people about them...
Old 06-09-2009, 03:18 AM
Federation Councillor

In the film Picard does actually ask - 'Could it be Lore?' if I remember it correctly.

Though since they were supposed to know where he was as he was deactivated at the end of 'Descent, Part II' I doubt they would have left him to go missing again and therefore not know where he was supposed to be.

In terms of it being the final TNG film, I personally, if I had been writing it, would probably have made him Lore rather than B-4.

A better nod to the fans, and since the film doesn't explain how and where Shinzon actually found a previously unknown Soong type android gathering dust, it wouldn't really need any more explanation for it to be Lore.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-09-2009, 03:40 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
In terms of it being the final TNG film, I personally, if I had been writing it, would probably have made him Lore rather than B-4.

A better nod to the fans, and since the film doesn't explain how and where Shinzon actually found a previously unknown Soong type android gathering dust, it wouldn't really need any more explanation for it to be Lore.
Absolutely! It should been Lore, not B4. One of the several things that contributed to Nemesis being a fail.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 06-09-2009, 03:46 AM
Federation Councillor

Plus, Lore would have been quite happy to help destroy the Federation - he tried it with the Borg after all!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-09-2009, 03:56 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Plus, Lore would have been quite happy to help destroy the Federation - he tried it with the Borg after all!
And that would've given the story more resonance. Missed opportunity.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'