The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Digital Converter Box-Do You Like it?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2009, 04:46 AM
Admiral

The digital conversion has been a pain. Eventually it might have happened just by consumers. Digital TV can have advantages. IN STL they have an all weather channel on the .2 side of a TV station which is nice. In my town a TV Station lost its Tower in a storm and now it can be at least partially back up on the .2 side if its sister station, untill they get the tower rebuilt. Alot of the issue people are having are more from teh fact that not all stations have switched to full power. (Granted Analog seems to have more range) But HOPEFULLY after the 16th (I think) all will be better.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 06-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerwaterbury View Post
Why the hell did they make it a LAW to switch over to Digital? That was probably one of the most stupidest laws ever written. Leave us our damn analog and go play with your digital self, Government.
1. Money to be made.
2. Everyone else is switching off analogue too. You don't want America being left behind do ya?
Old 06-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Vice Admiral

Considering the US is the only country that still wont use the metric system its a wonder this law got passed at all. People should be thankful.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I can't live without my NFL football or NASCAR racing, so if Cable is not available, I don't bother to watch TV...I get all of my news off of the internet, now, anyway...I have better things to do than stare at that boob tube all dam day...like talk to you guys...LOL

But I do think the government was stupid to make this switch mandatory...and now, all my news sites have at least three articles about how "Some households are getting left behind," even though everyone had plenty of warning about the switch,"households that consist of elderly people, or people younger than 35, still seem to be having trouble hooking up the equipment, if they have it, or they haven't gotten the equipment, because they cannot afford it." So now all of these agencies that look out for older people, are volunteering to buy and install the equipment, so "These poor, unfortunate, people will still be able to get at least the local stations."

It's almost as if the government thinks that a person will die if they cannot watch TV....I even had a phone call from a group here in town, trying to tell me that they had people going door to door, making sure that everyone here was ready...just for fun, I asked them what they would do if I told them to stay off of my Dad's property, and not come by, and the woman on the phone said "Oh, each one of us will have a police officer with us, to make sure that everything goes smoothly." I told her she better have a warrant, too...or I would ask that officer to arrest her...she hung up, after calling me a few unkind things.

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!

Last edited by FranCat : 06-13-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Vice Admiral

Well cant argue with good sound logic.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Admiral

The conversion to digital was mandated in order to free up the analogue frequencies for local emergency use. With cell phones sucking up the analogue frequencies, there was no room to expand fire, police and emt radio coverage. Calls were being dropped, people were being put in danger. It was not a money consideration, it was a safety issue. Think of it this way: they didn't mandate the use of digital, they forbid the use of analogue because that's what the emergency responders need.

Of course, digital over the air just sucks. While we have cable in most rooms, there is one room we haven't been able to connect: the kitchen. So, we bought a digital tv! No silly converter box for us, no...we want the digital TV...it sucks. The only thing that really comes in is PBS. Fortunately, I insisted the TV had to have a DVD player...my husband thought it was stupid, but now he calls it "the kitchen DVD player".

So...my guess is, it's not the boxes, it's the nature of the digital signal. Notice how they all tell you that you either get it or you don't as though that's somehow a good thing? If the reception is the least bit disrupted, you get nothing.

Oh, thank you, yes...that's so much better than at least getting something!

Fran, have you ever been evacuated due to an emergency? I have. I've also packed up and been read to evacuate the minute the TV told me I should (though, the first time, it happened so fast we just looked out the front door and said "FIRE! Grab the pets, get in the cars!"). Local television is critical if a community wants to survive an emergency well.

Additionally, the first time-- when we did have to flee--we were glued to the television for 2 days getting information on whether anyone we knew had issues (and if our condo was still standing). My sister's house burned to the ground...we got that from a TV listing of the addresses lost in her area and were able to relay it to her husband in the evacuation center which did not have a television.

Television is a critical communications tool in an emergency. Those trying to make sure everyone is hooked up are doing a good thing.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 06-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Sorry, but the first thing that gets unplugged when I think trouble of any kind is coming, is the ******* TV! In an Emergency, use a Radio! I lived through fifteen BAD hurricanes during the eight years I lived without a TV....and even for the one mandatory evac, I stayed put, because my Grandma could not be moved. there are others ways to get word out during an Emergency, than TV. I also live in an area where no-one over the age of seventy lives alone...we have very close families, here.

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!
Old 06-14-2009, 08:10 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
The conversion to digital was mandated in order to free up the analogue frequencies for local emergency use. With cell phones sucking up the analogue frequencies, there was no room to expand fire, police and emt radio coverage. Calls were being dropped, people were being put in danger. It was not a money consideration, it was a safety issue. Think of it this way: they didn't mandate the use of digital, they forbid the use of analogue because that's what the emergency responders need.

Of course, digital over the air just sucks. While we have cable in most rooms, there is one room we haven't been able to connect: the kitchen. So, we bought a digital tv! No silly converter box for us, no...we want the digital TV...it sucks. The only thing that really comes in is PBS. Fortunately, I insisted the TV had to have a DVD player...my husband thought it was stupid, but now he calls it "the kitchen DVD player".

So...my guess is, it's not the boxes, it's the nature of the digital signal. Notice how they all tell you that you either get it or you don't as though that's somehow a good thing? If the reception is the least bit disrupted, you get nothing.

Fran, have you ever been evacuated due to an emergency? I have. I've also packed up and been read to evacuate the minute the TV told me I should (though, the first time, it happened so fast we just looked out the front door and said "FIRE! Grab the pets, get in the cars!"). Local television is critical if a community wants to survive an emergency well.

Additionally, the first time-- when we did have to flee--we were glued to the television for 2 days getting information on whether anyone we knew had issues (and if our condo was still standing). My sister's house burned to the ground...we got that from a TV listing of the addresses lost in her area and were able to relay it to her husband in the evacuation center which did not have a television.

Television is a critical communications tool in an emergency. Those trying to make sure everyone is hooked up are doing a good thing.
Again Eliza, so well said!
Old 06-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post

It was money. They're selling off most of the spare frequencies just like in every other country. The US government will be making billions...
Old 06-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Vice Admiral

And in return we get digital tv. Its going to take time to work everything out but in the long run we will be better off for it. The baseball games on HD OTA channels are beautiful. Actually better than cable/sat.