The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Live Music...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Fleet Admiral

They put on a good show, never had blood anytime I saw them. I think War at the Warfield had blood in it.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrekkie View Post
I've been to the Rammstein concert last weekend.

You may think about the band whatever you like (definitively not everyone's taste), but the live-show with all these special effects is unbeatable.
Glad you enjoyed the show. I don't like their "we play with Nazi language and pictures but just for fun" attitude. At worst they are nazis, at best they play ignorantly with the fire.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Glad you enjoyed the show. I don't like their "we play with Nazi language and pictures but just for fun" attitude. At worst they are nazis, at best they play ignorantly with the fire.
They are definitively no Nazis. I even would say that if they were political and if you were forced to pigeonhole them they are to be pegged anywhere on the left side of the political spectrum.

But eventually they just play around with common clichees.
What many people don't understand is that a band that sings about something doesn't necessarily preach what they sing about.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Admiral

I don't know if I'll be writing something different tomorrow night as I'm going to see the Pet Shop Boys live at the SECC. But before that the best gig was probably Tina Turner at Hampden Stadium. I did see Genesis live but I was with a bunch of friends who had only gone to see the support act and they dragged me away half way through Genesis' set

Bon Jovi are also amazing live. I've seen them twice

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 12-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrekkie View Post
They are definitively no Nazis. I even would say that if they were political and if you were forced to pigeonhole them they are to be pegged anywhere on the left side of the political spectrum.

But eventually they just play around with common clichees.
What many people don't understand is that a band that sings about something doesn't necessarily preach what they sing about.
Did I understand you right, they sing about something but don't mean what they sing? Perhaps I should paint a little Chaplin beard on my face, run around on the streets, cry "Sieg Heil" and tell the punks or Turkisk folks who wanna beat the crap out of me that I don't mean what I say.

Seriously, if I hear the rolling R I think nazi, if I see music videos like "Mann gegen Mann" I think homophobe. Perhaps the text is about something entirely different, but the first impression they intentionally create is pretty umambiguous: we are right-wing scum.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Commander

Quote:
Seriously, if I hear the rolling R I think nazi, if I see music videos like "Mann gegen Mann" I think homophobe.
Homophobe?
Exactly the opposite (kalte Zungen, die da schlagen). It is about homophobia, but not supporting it.
Till himself once said that he envys the gay scene due to their unobstructed relationships, while the communication between men and women often end in chaos.

Many of the martial texts actually go about something else, not seldom the difficult relationship between men and women.

Quote:
they sing about something but don't mean what they sing?
Although you are singing about a Cannibal I bet you don't eat humans yourself

Last edited by TheTrekkie : 12-16-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Fleet Admiral

Nice to hear, but the music video suggests the opposite. Dumbas*ses like myself who don't know any background about the band and have not heard their songs often enough to finally get what they mean with their texts simply go by the first impression. In this case, it is an ugly one.

I don't mind that they sing about the last two big taboos in our society, cannibalism and incest, taboo-busting is always great. But while they might consider rolling R as funny taboo-breaking, I consider it as what it is, something political.
If people like you are OK with that and don't mind it, that's great, but I have no interest at all in listening to folks who hold up a big ugly sign. Even if the sign isn't true, it is not particularly inviting.

Last edited by horatio : 12-16-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Commander

Quote:
Nice to hear, but the music video suggests the opposite. Dumbas*ses like myself who don't know any background about the band and have not heard their songs often enough to finally get what they mean with their texts simply go by the first impression. In this case, it is an ugly one.
At some times they were too naive, especially at the beginning.
Coming from a GDR background and most of the members from punk bands that never were even able to get any big attention in the GDR they probably underestimated their appearance and the reactions on it at first.
Since then they just turned the tables, when u know how the double standards of our medias work you easily can get a lot of attention by pressing the right buttons.

Rammstein is not to be understood without the texts anyway. But they are also not to be overvalued.

More metnionable besides their provocations is the dark romantic in many of their texts.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Fleet Admiral

They are from the GDR? That explains their desire to coquet with nazi language and pictures respectively their insensitivity to the issue due to the lack of denazification in the Soviet zone. But it doesn't make it better.

But they are not the only folks who do this kind of "soft-nazification", this crap also comes to mind.
http://www.myvideo.de/watch/6190636/..._Flut_mit_Text
Same as Rammstein, nothing wrong with the text but a lot wrong with the use nazi language and pictures.

This has no effect upon educated people like yourself, but what about teenagers and not so smart people? To people how are oblivious to history this is a form of propaganda and I guess that right-wing folks welcome the emergence of these bands.

Last edited by horatio : 12-16-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Captain

Looks like Trekkie and Horatio have some taste in common.

I adore live music but I always end up very envious because I'm not up there playing with them. I can't tell you how much I'd love to be a performer. My first concert ever was GENESIS in the 80s and it spoiled me for anything else, except maybe The Who in 1989 at Giants Stadium- that Totally Rocked!! My genre is pure unadulterated rock and roll. I wish I could have seen older acts back when, such as the Stones, Led Zep, Doors, The Police, and stuff from that age. Nothing after the 1980s really interests me.