The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Theater sales
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2009, 06:53 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
Good assumption.
Last drive-in I was at (early '80's and the very last in the area to fold up shop) the switch to radio only was already done. Window speakers had gone bye-bye about 5 years previous to that.
There used to be one very close to me, and in high school (mid-late 90's) we went there all the time. They had both systems, but the radio had better sound... I would love to have seen this on a drive in screen. but alas, the Mrs. doesn't like going to drive ins.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I went for my sixth viewing last Friday night on 34 street in NYC and the auditorium was full except for the first few rows. People were crowding the rows like you you expect in a first week opening. I think I will continue to see it once a week or so for as long as it lasts. There are always new things I am picking up from the viewing every time I see it.

I cannot believe the legs this movie has... Yes, its summer but I can't remember any movie having such a strong response at the "one month" point. Amazing !

As an aside, I have been going back to watch all the old movies just for the purpose of comparing them to this in terms of story, acting, effects, you name it. Yes, I forced my way through ST V yesterday (gaaaaah!!!) but the realization I am coming to is that NO Trek movie to date has had the kind of confluence of acting, story, production standards, effects, etc. that this one does. In other words, are we seeing what happens when we finally release a really well done Trek movie to the world ????
Old 06-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Dunsel View Post
In other words, are we seeing what happens when we finally release a really well done Trek movie to the world ????
Yes
~
Old 06-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by erruve View Post
Yes
~
i also agree.
only time will tell if i get as much enjoyment out of this new movie as i have from ST II but i didn't go see ST II five times in the theater!
Old 06-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Fleet Admiral

I for one loved the economy (if not the sound quality) of the drive ins. Very cheap, and you could take several of your friends with you and the cost was not bad at all. (Not to mention the occasional fun of smuggling a few extra friends in the trunk.)

I always liked to sit on the hood of my car, reclined against the window. On a nice summer night, it was awesome.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:47 AM
Lieutenant

Just checked Yahoo movie box office results and Star Trek is still in the top 5 and has made $209,313,884 as of last weekend:

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/boxoffice/
Old 06-05-2009, 06:57 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
No way!
I thought drive-ins were phased out a couple of decades ago!?!
I really kind of miss that feeling of freedom.
Having to periodically run the engine on the car to recharge the battery... not so fun. But the ability to bring the BBQ and do some tailgating is a fine trade-off.

Way.
In fact, we have 2 in the greater Albany area. The one close to us has a nice greasy snack bar, which is what makes a drive-in for me.