The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Literature > Novels, Novellas, Short Stories > Star Trek author goes nuts on "idiot copy editor"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default Star Trek author goes nuts on "idiot copy editor"

Not sure what the whole story is but apparently this author was so pissed off at the editing job of his new novel that he posted publically that the editor should die!

http://www.journalfen.net/community/...7228#t51837228
Old 06-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Vice Admiral

I agree with the author. I'm NOT a writer, but I can see how such drastic changes could piss someone the F off!!
Old 06-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Fleet Admiral

Wow! Makes the aspiring writer inside me cringe a little. Why would a copy editor wanna screw up his entire story anyway? Grudge or something?
Old 06-04-2009, 04:16 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I don't understand why he has to erase all the marks. Can't he just print out a fresh copy?
Old 06-04-2009, 06:26 AM
Rear Admiral

I was actually surprised that the author in question turned out to be David Mack, the author of the Destiny trilogy and indeed the creative driving force behind the Vanguard series of novels.

If I understand correctly, the job of the copy editor is to seek out and correct typos and grammar mistakes, but not to rewrite and chop up the material to such an extent that it becomes unrecognizeable to the author, which is apparently what set Mack off. According to Mack, the copy editor went beyond proofreading to basically rewriting his story.

I can sort of empathize with Mack regarding his outrage for the copy editor going beyond his/her job description, but I think he erred by venting his anger on his personal site. He should have known that it would spread across the internet like wildfire--but then that might have been his intent, who knows?
Old 06-04-2009, 06:28 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
I was actually surprised that the author in question turned out to be David Mack, the author of the Destiny trilogy and indeed the creative driving force behind the Vanguard series of novels.

If I understand correctly, the job of the copy editor is to seek out and correct typos and grammar mistakes, but not to rewrite and chop up the material to such an extent that it becomes unrecognizeable to the author, which is apparently what set Mack off. According to Mack, the copy editor went beyond proofreading to basically rewriting his story.

I can sort of empathize with Mack regarding his outrage for the copy editor going beyond his/her job description, but I think he erred by venting his anger on his personal site. He should have known that it would spread across the internet like wildfire--but then that might have been his intent, who knows?
One of the first things I thought was "He's gonna sell some books with this."
Old 06-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

When you write for the Trek books, you also have to have your story edited to fit into the established canon for Trek. This is hardly the first time an author has had issue over this sort of jiggery pokery with their work. Read "The Trouble With Tribbles" or Harlan Ellison's memior of "City on the Edge of Forever"... or talk to anyone who wrote for TNG...

Unfortunately, when you are writing for an established series, you just have to accept that some of the better parts of your work will be surgically removed with a chainsaw. You can't really do anything that changes the characters at all. They have to remain much the same, because the next writer coming along to tell a story, needs them to be so for continuity's sake.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Rear Admiral

The line editor is the person who can make major changes and chops to a finished manuscript--and Mack has no problem with that, according to what he wrote afterward. However, the person who changed Mack's manuscript was the copy editor, and at Pocket Books wasn't authorized to do anything more than search for typos and punctuation errors. The copy editor overstepped his or her authority by several magnitudes and Mack consequently flipped out by several magnitudes...
Old 09-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Whoa! David Mack is going a bit publicly postal here with what should really be an internal matter.

But essentially he is correct, the copy editor is stepping over the line, all they are really meant to do is check spelling, grammar, and make sure things make sense to read.

Stepping over the line into creative matters isn't their job. I say smack 'em!

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 09-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
One of the first things I thought was "He's gonna sell some books with this."
Same thought here . I support him fully though.

I love David's work, and I am an avid reader of the Vanguard series. I think his are the best out of that series though, and I am now starting his Destiny trilogy which is proving to be a delicious read.