The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Criticism of the Movie: Bad for Trek? Bad for Business?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Yes yes I know... just seeing who would post my common misconception. But I guess it depends on what you prefer... to be sucked or blown.
That's a thread all of it's own!!!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Ensign

Outside of this and similar forums, I doubt the general public is even aware some "true" trekkies dislike the film. And based upon the box office, it obviously didn't have any effect.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Admiral

A lot of people/fans went to see this movie with open arms expecting more than they should have and got less than they could have. I don't think the next movie will do quite as well. The movie is certainly entertaining and I enjoyed it.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Fleet Admiral

Either true Trekkers amount to a few thousand or...
The movie capture every Trekker from here to Asia...."Flip Fantasia"

Old 06-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Everything should be criticized. Once you begin to hold something above criticism, then you give it undeserved power and deny it to become better through that criticism.

In fact. I'd say the movie didn't receive enough criticism from the earlier draft stages of the script. It really needed someone to go through it page by page and say: this bit doesn't work, no that's been done too many times before, that's good make the whole thing more like that one scene, scrap that it's not working, etc...

It's said the film had a weak plot structure. I say what plot structure?! If it actually had a structure then I might have actually been impressed.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 06-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer View Post
As I read some of the comments in this forum, I find that most of them are positive toward the current movie. I, myself, started a thread for people to tell us how much they loved the movie.

However, there are some who are critical of the movie and who don't hesitate to express their reservations. We, in much of the world, live in freedom, and they have a right to do so.

That said, do you think that criticism of this movie, including, for example, of the accents of characters or the disagreement over the size of the Enterprise, is ultimately bad for Trek and the bottom line? Are there people you have experienced who have said, "I loved this movie, but now that you've mentioned it, I guess I was wrong -- it really doesn't make any sense. It's kinda dumb. I guess I don't like Star Trek anymore."

If this is the case, are we, as a fanbase, helping to hurt that which we purport to love?
Unless you wrote and published a review read by a few ten thousand people and influenced the decision of some of them to see the movie or not, the effect of criticism is nada, null, nyet.
That's really just wishful thinking of some fans, believing that their opinion has any effect upon the design of a mass product.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Vice Admiral

As always, things like 'weak' plot structure depends on your definition and criteria... and what your goal for a movie is. Sounds like in this case your goal would have been different than theirs was. That doesnt mean theirs is bad. That doesnt mean yours is good either.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Ensign

Petty bickering is not going to stop Star Trek's--the film, or the franchise--success.

Hell, a few things happened that even made me go . (And I'm not picky about Trek canon.) Yet I could still see that it's a great movie.

Besides, from what I've read, Star Trek has made its money. There's a renewed interest in Gene's vision.

Trek is far from dead.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer View Post
Are there people you have experienced who have said, "I loved this movie, but now that you've mentioned it, I guess I was wrong -- it really doesn't make any sense. It's kinda dumb. I guess I don't like Star Trek anymore."
No. Not in real life and with this movie not online.

I spend a fair amount of time on a variety of forums and in 10 years I've seen people admit to having their mind about 2-3 times, and that was about minor points, not about something as basic as did you like it.

I find you scenario highly unlikely.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Yes yes I know... just seeing who would post my common misconception. But I guess it depends on what you prefer... to be sucked or blown.
Mega Maid can do both. I like Mega Maid.