The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Criticism of the Movie: Bad for Trek? Bad for Business?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Banned

Question Criticism of the Movie: Bad for Trek? Bad for Business?

As I read some of the comments in this forum, I find that most of them are positive toward the current movie. I, myself, started a thread for people to tell us how much they loved the movie.

However, there are some who are critical of the movie and who don't hesitate to express their reservations. We, in much of the world, live in freedom, and they have a right to do so.

That said, do you think that criticism of this movie, including, for example, of the accents of characters or the disagreement over the size of the Enterprise, is ultimately bad for Trek and the bottom line? Are there people you have experienced who have said, "I loved this movie, but now that you've mentioned it, I guess I was wrong -- it really doesn't make any sense. It's kinda dumb. I guess I don't like Star Trek anymore."

If this is the case, are we, as a fanbase, helping to hurt that which we purport to love?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Commander

I think its silly to reserve criticism of Trek for fear that it will affect moral towards Trek and ultimately affect, as you say, the bottom line.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Fleet Admiral

It doesn't matter the size of the ship the acsents of the characters...

What does matter is weak plot structure.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Vice Admiral

i dont care what the haters think, i remember months ago,while browsing i found a star gate fan bashing the new trek,he was saying somethink like,the movie will fail etc etc,typical trek hater,well if u hear me i have news for u pal:

Last edited by jtrek79 : 06-03-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Fleet Admiral

Such disdain...
..all over opinions.
Is it really worth the energy...

Old 06-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Vice Admiral

my friend saquist,its retaliation,i love to show the great 9 digit number to the haters
Old 06-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I don't think this is a problem. While there are a few people who are critical, the vast majority of reviews and more importantly, word of mouth, have driven the box office higher than any preceeding Trek movie.

The real test comes with the next film. Expectations will be high as an even greater awareness of the first movie will have filtered through our culture. Opening box office for the second film has the potential to be enormous. If they can duplicate the critical sucess in the next movie, then freaking hold on to your horses because this is outta here. As a cultural metaphor for our society, Trek is bigger than Star Wars. It's older. It's more ingrained. I'd argue it's better, but I don't want to evoke the hounds of war.

No one will listen to me of course, but I would advise

Don't do Kahn for second movie. Leave that for 3rd movie.

Develop an original story line!!
Develop relationships among crew
Maintain balance between the two male leads. If anything, slant towards Spock as therein lies the most interesting conundrums for character and choice. Otherwise this has potential to dissolve into JTK, man of !action saves the world, again.
Don't just put the universe in danger, characters must be threatened and stressed
End it with a hint to the 3rd movie (here is where Kahn should come in) because people will leave the film dying for the next movie

I think Abbrams knows all this and doesn't need my advice :P
~
Old 06-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Federation Councillor

Look at it this way....

Like or hate the film, JJ SAVED the Trek franchise that was at the edge of going the way of the 8-Trac tape.

Did the film have some flaws? Sure...but every Trek film has flaws.

Did the film make every fan happy? No. No Trek film ever does.

We should all be apricative of JJ for saving the franchise so we can argue over the things we like/don't like.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

At $300+ million I don't think the critical naysayers have damaged the aspects of this movie or the franchise. There will always be critics. If the criticism was so large and the media and everyone bashed on it then perhaps it would be bad for ST but that's not happening.
As for Kahn, please no. This is a fresh start, a reboot, not a rehash. We know the story and we don't need it retold with a twist. Watch ST: II if you must. The thing that surprises me the most I think is that the last two movies now have had Romulan villians. I would think that that would have been more of a killer for the franchise seeing how poorly Nemesis did. Now lets see the stories that never appeared before.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Fleet Admiral

We'll no if he does do Khan that JJ is just copying and pasting Trek for everyone that hasn't seen it. It would say he has nothing original to add to the Legacy.