The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Pike? (Spoilers)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

janeway was promoted to admiral after getting lost in the delta qudrent for 7 years close to 20 in the alternet timeline.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by GALACTICA View Post
speaking of pike in the wheelchair.. why are people assuming that pike cant walk anymore? where was that ever said. i took it as he was injured, had alien slugs in him and needed time to recover from that...plus the beatings he must have took.

far as i was concerned.. hes still able to walk. did i miss something?
It looked to me as though he could use his legs but was weak when Kirk rescued him. Unless Bones stuffed up big time he should improve from there.

So I agree, on the evidence from the movie Pike should be able to walk after the doctors have finished with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
also I believe that Bones is a Lt. Commander in the movie.
His stripes fit Lt. Commander. McCoy was an experienced doctor before he joined Star Fleet, starting as Lt. Commander after he finished the academy wouldn't be unusual.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy_s View Post
His stripes fit Lt. Commander. McCoy was an experienced doctor before he joined Star Fleet, starting as Lt. Commander after he finished the academy wouldn't be unusual.
That's pretty standard practice in today's military. Becoming a doctor takes a long time and a lot of money. So, instead of paying to put young officer candidates through med school the military recruits them after they finish and commissions them at a higher rank. So yes, Bones would automatically be a Lt or Lt Cdr as soon as he's commissioned.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Vice Admiral

I think if a doctor with a graduate degree enlists that person is made a captain in the army and airforce. So I assume that is a Lt Cdr in the Navy. If in addition to the formal degree that person also has further experience then the commissioned rank can be higher.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Commander

Quote:
snarky aren't we.

JSnyder4, stated quite clearly that the references to the characters ranks are IN THE MOVIE and not "FANON" on his part. Nor is JSnyder4 the only person on the boards who knew this.

as to why Chekov and Sulu don't get promoted - because it was Kirk's leadership that saved the day. yes Chekov came up with a way to hide the Enterprise to get close enough to get Kirk and Spock abroad the Narada but that was only one part of a larger plan. Kirk's leadership rallied the crew.
Indeed. His command ability got the absolute best out of the crew, empowering them to achieve a victory that would otherwise have been impossible. He brought together the crew's pre-existing talents, and shaped the plan that used those talents to their greatest extent. That is leadership. All the geniuses and whizkids in the world aren't useful unless their skills can be applied.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Captain

Quote:
snarky aren't we.

JSnyder4, stated quite clearly that the references to the characters ranks are IN THE MOVIE and not "FANON" on his part. Nor is JSnyder4 the only person on the boards who knew this.
My point being, that Snyders post does not explain why Cadett Kirk becomes Captain. Even if we assume he is actually a Lieutenant and Cadett means just Student, then its quite strange he made it to Lieutenant in a mere three years. And its even stranger he jumps from Lieutenant to Captain and leaves the ranks in between out.

My point is, that Snyders explanation is no explanation at all, so there was no need to act as if people pointing out the rank issues would not have paid enough attention. There just is no satisfying explanation for Kirks jump to Captain in the movie. All explanations are made up stuff by fans. Which is fine, allright. But these explanations can not get derived by the movie just like that. It needs quite a lot of good will and thinking around the corner, it needs a good portion of suspension of disbelief. So, dont tell those, who do not buy into that they would be to stupid to understand the movie.

Thats why I reacted snarky. Because I cant stand this attitude of pulling pseudo explanations out of your backside and then assert these contrived explanations would be self-evident. Its fanon.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Hey there.

Everyone was promoted from Cadet to Lt prior to boarding. These people were about to graduate. Upon graduation they would be promoted to Lt. The emergency cancelled the graduation ceremony, but everyone still got promoted (except Kirk, I guess... LOL.. who became captain... ha)
~
Old 06-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
then its quite strange he made it to Lieutenant in a mere three years. And its even stranger he jumps from Lieutenant to Captain and leaves the ranks in between out.
When someone graduates the academy their rank is Lt. Ensign would be the equivalent of Cadet. He was a stowaway, and not promoted until Pike did it (he had to have if he made him first officer) AS permitted by navy regs.

Remember, Spock says the Cadet's reasoning is sound. Cadet Kirk. While other people are Lt.

I will grant you that this non-problem in continuity and rank does not explain the incredibleness that is Kirk's promotion to Captain, but I hope it clears up everything else.

ps. regarding 3 years vs. 4, I am certain you can accellerate through the Academy. Does anyone seriously think it took Spock 4 years to get through the Academy? I highly doubt it. While Kirk is not a Spock type genius, he is a genius. I do not find it surprising that he would do it in 3.
~
Old 06-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Ensign

The novel isn't canon, so I'm not really too bothered about what it contains regarding this movie.
As for Pike's disability, I do genuinely think he is paralyzed. Okay, we don't get any kind of indication that this is so, but I do think, as other people have pointed out, that this is Pike's destiny. Just like Commanding the Enterprise was Kirk's destiny.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
Thats why I reacted snarky. Because I cant stand this attitude of pulling pseudo explanations out of your backside and then assert these contrived explanations would be self-evident. Its fanon.
Hey they are just possibilities. Often vague ones to be sure but in a vacuum thats all there is. However Kirk did get promoted to captain unless people want to argue with the movie screen that it is having delusions (some kinda do funny enough). We can either leave it a mystery to be figured out at some future date or we can be sleuths and come up with conjecture. Of course being that vague they generally cannot be disproven. But that does not make them fact. To be fair it also doesnt mean they are wrong.

I suppose some of the people you are speaking of are imitating Poirot or the Thin Man when they are trying to figure out whodunit at the end with all the suspects in the same room. Accusing each of being the murderer until the real one cracks and reveals himself... or herself (gotta be fair to lady murderers too).