The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Pike? (Spoilers)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Well promotion for a act like we saw in the film seems reasonable.
Indeed. Part of the fleet is destroyed, Starfleet is short of personal and they are not supposed to give the command of the flagship to the guy who saved Earth?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Indeed. Part of the fleet is destroyed, Starfleet is short of personal and they are not supposed to give the command of the flagship to the guy who saved Earth?
good point.

maybe im wrong but, kirk is cadet but specialize in commanding right?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Especially with one of their best Capatins (Pike) pushing for him.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Especially with one of their best Capatins (Pike) pushing for him.
Indeed. All the arguments along the line of "why does this punk kid without manners get into the big chair?" just ignore that Pike understands the virtue of Kirk-style because he has studied the history of the Kelvin. Which is a terrific story, a by-the-book type captain realizes that there are other ways to command a starship besides his own, other skills Starfleet needs.
Isn't this what Trek is about, understanding the virtue of diversity?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Indeed. All the arguments along the line of "why does this punk kid without manners get into the big chair?" just ignore that Pike understands the virtue of Kirk-style because he has studied the history of the Kelvin. Which is a terrific story, a by-the-book type captain realizes that there are other ways to command a starship besides his own, other skills Starfleet needs.
Isn't this what Trek is about, understanding the virtue of diversity?
In my experince, what Kirk got was a "battlefeild style" promotion. After the descimation of the flleet, and qualified officers, it would not be unheard of to look to the academy for semi quaified canadates. But keep in mind Kirk had Pike pulling hard for him in addition.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Lieutenant

Pike will walk. I say he was just rehabing, as Kirk was still bruised and it was shortly past his injuries. Pike was clearly of admiral age, and had just been part of an earth saving event.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by GALACTICA View Post
speaking of pike in the wheelchair.. why are people assuming that pike cant walk anymore? where was that ever said. i took it as he was injured, had alien slugs in him and needed time to recover from that...plus the beatings he must have took.

far as i was concerned.. hes still able to walk. did i miss something?

galactica rob
Yes. You seemingly missed The menagerie (part 1 / part 2)

There is no reason why people assume pike cant walk never again anymore. The only reason is that this was Pikes fate in the Origional Timeline.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Québec View Post
good point.
maybe im wrong but, kirk is cadet but specialize in commanding right?
If you listen and watch the film some details about the academy come through.

Uhura (still in the academy) is a lieutenant while being a "cadet".
(Spock: Yes lieutenant?
Uhura: Was I not one of your top students... blah blah)
McCoy, (who joined at the same time as Kirk) is also of lieutenant rank or higher and still a "cadet".
Sulu is plainly a lieutenant.
Chekov is an ensign and almost certainly still a "cadet".

If you wish to take the novel as additional information Kirk is also plainly stated as a lieutenant many times.

"Cadet" seems to be an all-encompassing reference while at the academy itself irrespective of actual rank. This much is gleaned from the movie without needing additional sources.

Sorry you* didn't pick up this bit of information since it is not presented in a manner that would pull a full stop and explain it. Same way they don't stop to explain how a shuttle lifts off from the ground.

You did pick up the bit about specializing in command though, so go you!
The presumption there is that is the toughest avenue and most likely to fast-track; also in keeping with Kirk's attitude.

* You meaning "those who just want to complain about cadet to captain without actually looking at and watching you know, the movie".

Old 06-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
* You meaning "those who just want to complain about cadet to captain without actually looking at and watching you know, the movie".
Oh snap! Seems I completely glanced over the fact that McCoy was a senior medical officer allready. Or was he perhaps just a warrant officer? He was a doctor before he joined Starfleet. And Uhura was called Lieutenant at one point? Well, that would basicly mean what? That Cadett just referrs to everyone who is at the Academy at the time for any kind of training. Allright!

Now riddle me this, cause you have seen the movie with such a remarkable sight for detail, unmatched by anyone on these boards here: How comes that Checkov is an Ensign in the command branch and did not get his own ship at the end of the mission, eventhough it was all his plan to beam aboard the Narada? Or how about Sulu, who was a Lieutenant in the command branch and didnt get the captain chair either? If the command branch is a common fast track for captaincy, shouldnt these both get a command first, before Kirk, who spent merely three years in Starfleet?

May be, just may be, the authors didnt give a damn at all and all your fanon explanations are moot?

Last edited by Botany Bay : 06-03-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post

Now riddle me this, cause you have seen the movie with such a remarkable sight for detail, unmatched by anyone on these boards here...............
May be, just may be, the authors didnt give a damn at all and all your fanon explanations are moot?
snarky aren't we.

JSnyder4, stated quite clearly that the references to the characters ranks are IN THE MOVIE and not "FANON" on his part. Nor is JSnyder4 the only person on the boards who knew this.

as to why Chekov and Sulu don't get promoted - because it was Kirk's leadership that saved the day. yes Chekov came up with a way to hide the Enterprise to get close enough to get Kirk and Spock abroad the Narada but that was only one part of a larger plan. Kirk's leadership rallied the crew.

also I believe that Bones is a Lt. Commander in the movie.