The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Pike? (Spoilers)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2009, 06:24 AM
Ensign

Default Pike? (Spoilers)

This topic has probably come up many times before in the past, and I apologise for that, but why was Pike an Admiral at the end of the movie?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he went to Vulcan as a Captain, became a prisoner, shot one Romulan, and was promoted.

Do those actions really justify becoming an Admiral?

Or do you believe Starfleet placed him there because of his disability?

Old 06-03-2009, 06:35 AM
Ensign

Why did they give a bunch of kids their most expensive Federation vessel?

Because it's Starfleet.

I made a post to my webjournal the other day that ran...

Half the fun is the complete lack of rationality Starfleet exhibits in giving its commissioned officers commands. Not that the new movie has a spotless track record, even though it takes Starfleet commissions about 30x more seriously than any previous canon and people routinely pass off the Conn instead of just wandering off and leaving it open for non-commissioned or unqualified crew members and small children to find and assume.

Spock: I hearby relinquish my command based on the fact that I have been emotionally compromised.
Kirk: Attention crew of the Enterprise, this is James Kirk. Mister Spock has resigned commission and advanced me to acting captain....
Chas: NO. No he hasn't. He declared himself unfit for duty. What's wrong with you people? If he resigned commission he removed himself from Starfleet. It's a good thing he must have two or three commissions.

But a few episodes of DS9 expanded our knowledge of Starfleet commissions considerably.

In Starfleet a court martial is a prequisite to getting a command. That, or, something like...

Spock: Captain, won't we get court martialed for this?
Kirk: It's Starfleet. Who gets court martialed?

Chas: Apparently this is how you get a Starfleet commission: fill out some paperwork, tear off and send in the 12 box tops, and get the decoder ring. This entire organization is run by hippies stoned off their heads.

We went on to propose the "Starfleet card game." Much like Magic The Gathering, instead of lives, in this game you start out with 20 commissions. Some choice cards from the deck:

-Commander's In On It (picture of Sisko winking)
-I Court Martial You!
-I Summon Admiral Stoner.

But despite the fact that Starfleet apparently lobs around commands like they're going out of style, the best line of the night was probably:

"Who looks at a Galaxy class starship and thinks, 'ooh, this could be a little more sonic'?"
Old 06-03-2009, 06:44 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Well think if it this way, it apears that the quickest way to get promoted to admiral is to become a pow and escape.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralroot View Post
Well think if it this way, it apears that the quickest way to get promoted to admiral is to become a pow and escape.
And the quickest way to become Captain is to become acting first officer of a starship, while still being a cadet, and relieving the Captain
Old 06-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Well, I made peace with the madness at the end by figuring a bunch of people were killed (including the Captains of the other ships destroyed by the Narada) and the fleet was apparently largely engaged in another big battle (necessitating the use of Cadets in the Vulcan "rescue" mission) so there were voids that needed to be filled.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 06-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Well, I was never under the impression that Pike had just been promoted to Captain when he takes command of the Enterprise. Picard had previously commanded another ship prior to getting the E, so why not Pike? Is it just because his other command wasn't shown and talked about in the movie that we are forced to assume it never existed? But the movie never showed or talked about his "recent" promotion, either.

In other words, are we back to the canon hardline: "If it wasn't explicitly shown or talked about, it didn't exist" ?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermeezo View Post
And the quickest way to become Captain is to become acting first officer of a starship, while still being a cadet, and relieving the Captain
The more I think of it the funnier it gets. There is this Cadett storming on your bridge. You know him to have a long record of offending the law. You know he is grounded, means his precense aboard does not only make him a stowaway, but he obviously is also absent without leave from his assigned post on earth (Starfleet Academy).

Yeah, sure, make the ex-con stowaway Cadett 3rd Year who deserted from his assignment on earth the First Officer of Starfleets most proud flagship.

I know, its a movie. Calm down.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermeezo View Post
This topic has probably come up many times before in the past, and I apologise for that, but why was Pike an Admiral at the end of the movie?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he went to Vulcan as a Captain, became a prisoner, shot one Romulan, and was promoted.

Do those actions really justify becoming an Admiral?

Or do you believe Starfleet placed him there because of his disability?

I think its because of whatever the slug did to his brain. He can't walk anymore and his cognitive abilities seem to be undamaged, so he could continue to work as captain, but Pike himself probably asked for a job in the administration.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Federation Councillor

Well promotion for a act like we saw in the film seems reasonable.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Ensign

speaking of pike in the wheelchair.. why are people assuming that pike cant walk anymore? where was that ever said. i took it as he was injured, had alien slugs in him and needed time to recover from that...plus the beatings he must have took.

far as i was concerned.. hes still able to walk. did i miss something?

galactica rob