The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What Star Trek as a franchise IS /IS NOT...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 06-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Samuel Samuel is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,883
Default

Well for one thing the primary role of the ninja is as assassins, of course followed my many other things. But would you want a Fed helmsman compared to one? Do you think such a person would train as one? Perhaps most people dont know this really. But if a simple forum poster like me knows, then the writers know.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Well for one thing the primary role of the ninja is as assassins, of course followed my many other things. But would you want a Fed helmsman compared to one? Do you think such a person would train as one? Perhaps most people dont know this really. But if a simple forum poster like me knows, then the writers know.
You are aware there have been no true Nijas in a very long time....
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Samuel Samuel is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,883
Default

As far as you know. Maybe they make a comeback after this big global war we are supposedly going to fight.

But seriously, the history is there. He might as well have been trained as a samurai.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 06-05-2009, 12:39 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Sulu messed about with a sword for no real reason in TOS, in the film they had him mess around with a sword for no real reason.

Homage made - it's nothing more than that.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 06-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Sulu messed about with a sword for no real reason in TOS, in the film they had him mess around with a sword for no real reason.

Homage made - it's nothing more than that.
Agreed.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 06-05-2009, 05:39 PM
dhess68's Avatar
dhess68 dhess68 is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Federation outpost Tulsa Oklahoma
Posts: 68
Default

Scots make great engineers....panther piss, would you rather have a Swiss made clock/German precision auto such as a BMW..Porsche..Mercedes or a Haggis LX?

"Oh for thu luv of god man, this cahr reeks of ***.....och, I dinna see yer mum in there....."

Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 06-05-2009, 06:26 PM
radoskal's Avatar
radoskal radoskal is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Religon has no place in Trek. It's called Star Trek, not Deity Trek.

Persoanlly I could care less what any charater's religon is. What does that have to do with their place in any story?

If religon was prominate in Trek, which religon gets represented? There is no way everyone's (human and alien) religous convictions could possibly get equal time.

It's not called Time Trek either, but that doesn't seem to phase anyone.
__________________
Mom, how many times do I have to tell you, Track is what athletes run on. Trek is what the Enterprise goes on.

-Free Enterprise
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 06-05-2009, 06:43 PM
martok2112's Avatar
martok2112 martok2112 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: River Ridge, LA
Posts: 6,480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhess68 View Post
Scots make great engineers....panther piss, would you rather have a Swiss made clock/German precision auto such as a BMW..Porsche..Mercedes or a Haggis LX?

"Oh for thu luv of god man, this cahr reeks of ***.....och, I dinna see yer mum in there....."

__________________

Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 06-06-2009, 01:43 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhess68 View Post
Scots make great engineers....panther piss, would you rather have a Swiss made clock/German precision auto such as a BMW..Porsche..Mercedes or a Haggis LX?

"Oh for thu luv of god man, this cahr reeks of ***.....och, I dinna see yer mum in there....."

Ahem,

The Scottish being shipbuilders is the reason Scotty was made the engineer - a tribute to the fact we built ships. Lots of them, and built them pretty well.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 06-06-2009, 07:47 AM
martok2112's Avatar
martok2112 martok2112 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: River Ridge, LA
Posts: 6,480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Ahem,

The Scottish being shipbuilders is the reason Scotty was made the engineer - a tribute to the fact we built ships. Lots of them, and built them pretty well.
Aye, I thought it was something along those lines. I couldn't remember GR's exact words.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:06 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.