The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How Would the New Movie Have Been Different if Made by the TNG Producers?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator
For me, TNG, DS9, and VOY are all cut from the same cloth. ENT was an attempt to go back to TOS Trek, and was a logical development from VOY, which also was a Federation-less Trek. I think of ENT as a mid-way between VOY and TOS. But with the exception of early TNG, this is all Berman-Trek.
Berman's involvement in DS9 was actually minimal in the end. Yes, he and the late Michael Piller developed the series and got it off the ground, but they didn't stick around for very long after that--they were still doing TNG (and later, the TNG movies) at the same time and then transitioned from that to VOY with Jeri Taylor.

Ira Steven Behr and Ronald D. Moore were really the ones running DS9 creatively, but they regularly reported back to Berman to let him know what they were doing in his absence...
Old 06-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
So what do you think of Star Trek (2009)? I really don't follow your reasoning. You liked TNG, and DS9, but not VOY or ENT? For me, TNG, DS9, and VOY are all cut from the same cloth. ENT was an attempt to go back to TOS Trek, and was a logical development from VOY, which also was a Federation-less Trek. I think of ENT as a mid-way between VOY and TOS. But with the exception of early TNG, this is all Berman-Trek.
TNG- The USS Enterprise, a likable crew, adventuring into the unknown, original creator involved(for a time). What's not to like?

DS9- B&B are already out of ideas so Paramount steals one. They manage to make it work after two seasons of crap by going with The Dominion War arc. It helped that there were good characters and solid acting. Oh and they had Garak, nuff said.

Voyager- The crew was awful, the doctor being the most interesting one of the bunch, Paris and Janeway turning into salamanders and starting a new civilization, Borg children, gah I'm just gonna stop right there. I went through a bowl of chili trying to think of something good to say before I remembered 7's boobs.

Enterprise- A mistake from the beginning. They should have went with Excelsior and Sulu. It was the only idea really being talked about on the net at the time by the fans, including the hardcore fans. Braga has admitted to this. Also it didn't help that NX-01 looked more advanced than the Connies it PRECEDED. I think the ratings speak for themselves.

Star Trek 2009- I've seen it twice and renamed both my girls J.J.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Lieutenant

If made by B&B it would have been implausible, you would have cared about anyone, there wouldn't have been any character development, and the reset button would have been hit at the end.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Lieutenant

Better question, how would the movie have been different if Ron D Moore or Manny Coto had done it?
Old 06-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Rear Admiral

It would have had a fraction of the production budget, and very small sets which would have been redressed from an old show or movie.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Lieutenant

I think they would have had Picard cry again like in Generations.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
I think you would have seen a movie very similar to Nemesis honestly. The old crew had run out of ideas.
Interesting ... think about this:

Old and busted Star Trek: Bald Romulan goes power-mad and wants revenge by using his super-weapon battleship to destroy Earth; the only thing in his way is the crew of the Enterprise! (Nemesis)

New, hot Star Trek: Bald Romulan goes power-mad and wants revenge by using his super-weapon battleship to destroy Earth; the only thing in his way is the crew of the Enterprise! (09)

Hmmm ... who's copying whom? Just who, might I ask, was out of ideas? Or does the new movie prove that Nemesis was actually really good?
Old 06-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
Better question, how would the movie have been different if Ron D Moore or Manny Coto had done it?

Isn't Manny Coto credited with making Enterprise a much better show it's last two seasons? I know I certainly liked the Xindi war better than the Temporal Cold War storyline.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Lieutenant

Wolf, exactly - yes He did a smattering of season 3 (the better ones) and most of season 4 except for the first 3-4 eps and the final ep.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default copy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flw View Post
Interesting ... think about this:

Old and busted Star Trek: Bald Romulan goes power-mad and wants revenge by using his super-weapon battleship to destroy Earth; the only thing in his way is the crew of the Enterprise! (Nemesis)

New, hot Star Trek: Bald Romulan goes power-mad and wants revenge by using his super-weapon battleship to destroy Earth; the only thing in his way is the crew of the Enterprise! (09)

Hmmm ... who's copying whom? Just who, might I ask, was out of ideas? Or does the new movie prove that Nemesis was actually really good?
To bore the old, I think the plot line between the two was quite different, however the "Khan" effect was attempted to be copied in both, if the NG pro/dir would have done it I believe that it would have felt like "action" was inserted into the plot, not the plot including action sequences, we would have seen much more dialog and the attempt to "wrap" up story lines... such as the time spent on Wesley, Riker and Deanna, and the endless "who's going to get it" feel.
STAR TREK had "feeling" was as NG had "lost that loving feeling" as the characters age both phyically and emotionally the unexpected is lost. We all know how Picard would respond, or how Data would act.
Although some mistakes were made in this wrap up, mistakes made by the "NG" dir/pro would have been deadly, now at least we can blame a noob.