The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How Would the New Movie Have Been Different if Made by the TNG Producers?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Banned

Default How Would the New Movie Have Been Different if Made by the TNG Producers?

At the risk of inviting negative comments -- and I'm not inviting them particularly -- what do you think the old crew of Berman, et al., would have done if they, and not JJ Abrams, had produced this movie?

I think it would have been slower and more methodical. I think that they would not have had the scene with young Kirk stealing his step-dad's vehicle, but would probably have had him engage in some words with him. I don't think that they would have done the bar scene at all, since it's way too informal (even though they did a bar scene in ST: First Contact).

I think that movie would not have been so action-packed. I don't think that Spock would have had a love interest. I don't think that they would have killed off Spock's mother.

Thoughts?
Old 06-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Rear Admiral

It would have been the Rick Berman-proposed Star Trek: The Beginning, a movie about the Earth-Romulus War with Shran from ENT making a brief appearance. Captain Tiberius Chase would have been the main character.

They wouldn't have gone the route Star Trek XI went.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
It would have been the Rick Berman-proposed Star Trek: The Beginning, a movie about the Earth-Romulus War with Shran from ENT making a brief appearance. Captain Tiberius Chase would have been the main character.

They wouldn't have gone the route Star Trek XI went.
Excellent response. But what if, at the insistence of top-level movie execs who wanted a Batman Begins-style story, they'd done an origins story -- i.e., based the movie on the same premise? How would the movie be stylistically different?
Old 06-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer View Post
Excellent response. But what if, at the insistence of top-level movie execs who wanted a Batman Begins-style story, they'd done an origins story -- i.e., based the movie on the same premise? How would the movie be stylistically different?
This depends hugely on the director.
~
Old 06-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by erruve View Post
This depends hugely on the director.
Indeed. Star Trek XI is J.J. Abrams' vision. A different director would have made different choices.

And we'd be complaining about them too, regardless of what they were...
Old 06-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Rear Admiral

Considering the track record of B&B I think it would have taken the franchise into a steeper down fall.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Brannon and Braga shot their wad on The Next Generation and they can thank Roddenberry for getting them started in the right direction. Their next biggest success was DS9 and while I liked the show okay I'm one of the blasphemous ones who believes the idea for it wasn't theirs. Enterprise spouted the lingo and fired phasers but never really seemed like Star Trek to me. I don't mean Star Trek TOS I mean Star Trek in general and the same goes for Star Trek: Lost in Space..... I mean Voyager.... the least interesting of all the series. Paramount should have fired those two right after DS9 and brought in some new blood with fresh ideas.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Ensign

That is easy to answer. The timeline would have been restored.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlin' Wolf View Post
Brannon and Braga shot their wad on The Next Generation and they can thank Roddenberry for getting them started in the right direction. Their next biggest success was DS9 and while I liked the show okay I'm one of the blasphemous ones who believes the idea for it wasn't theirs. Enterprise spouted the lingo and fired phasers but never really seemed like Star Trek to me. I don't mean Star Trek TOS I mean Star Trek in general and the same goes for Star Trek: Lost in Space..... I mean Voyager.... the least interesting of all the series. Paramount should have fired those two right after DS9 and brought in some new blood with fresh ideas.
So what do you think of Star Trek (2009)? I really don't follow your reasoning. You liked TNG, and DS9, but not VOY or ENT? For me, TNG, DS9, and VOY are all cut from the same cloth. ENT was an attempt to go back to TOS Trek, and was a logical development from VOY, which also was a Federation-less Trek. I think of ENT as a mid-way between VOY and TOS. But with the exception of early TNG, this is all Berman-Trek.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think you would have seen a movie very similar to Nemesis honestly. The old crew had run out of ideas.