The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How Would the New Movie Have Been Different if Made by the TNG Producers?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Star Trek Viewer Star Trek Viewer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,057
Default How Would the New Movie Have Been Different if Made by the TNG Producers?

At the risk of inviting negative comments -- and I'm not inviting them particularly -- what do you think the old crew of Berman, et al., would have done if they, and not JJ Abrams, had produced this movie?

I think it would have been slower and more methodical. I think that they would not have had the scene with young Kirk stealing his step-dad's vehicle, but would probably have had him engage in some words with him. I don't think that they would have done the bar scene at all, since it's way too informal (even though they did a bar scene in ST: First Contact).

I think that movie would not have been so action-packed. I don't think that Spock would have had a love interest. I don't think that they would have killed off Spock's mother.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

It would have been the Rick Berman-proposed Star Trek: The Beginning, a movie about the Earth-Romulus War with Shran from ENT making a brief appearance. Captain Tiberius Chase would have been the main character.

They wouldn't have gone the route Star Trek XI went.
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Star Trek Viewer Star Trek Viewer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
It would have been the Rick Berman-proposed Star Trek: The Beginning, a movie about the Earth-Romulus War with Shran from ENT making a brief appearance. Captain Tiberius Chase would have been the main character.

They wouldn't have gone the route Star Trek XI went.
Excellent response. But what if, at the insistence of top-level movie execs who wanted a Batman Begins-style story, they'd done an origins story -- i.e., based the movie on the same premise? How would the movie be stylistically different?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-02-2009, 02:58 PM
erruve erruve is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer View Post
Excellent response. But what if, at the insistence of top-level movie execs who wanted a Batman Begins-style story, they'd done an origins story -- i.e., based the movie on the same premise? How would the movie be stylistically different?
This depends hugely on the director.
~
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erruve View Post
This depends hugely on the director.
Indeed. Star Trek XI is J.J. Abrams' vision. A different director would have made different choices.

And we'd be complaining about them too, regardless of what they were...
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-02-2009, 03:17 PM
CAPTAIN MOUSE's Avatar
CAPTAIN MOUSE CAPTAIN MOUSE is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Placerville,CA
Posts: 2,564
Default

Considering the track record of B&B I think it would have taken the franchise into a steeper down fall.
__________________
CAN YOU CATCH SECOND HAND STUPIDITY? OR SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE WATER HERE? - JEFF DUNHAM
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Howlin' Wolf's Avatar
Howlin' Wolf Howlin' Wolf is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Outpost #31
Posts: 753
Default

Brannon and Braga shot their wad on The Next Generation and they can thank Roddenberry for getting them started in the right direction. Their next biggest success was DS9 and while I liked the show okay I'm one of the blasphemous ones who believes the idea for it wasn't theirs. Enterprise spouted the lingo and fired phasers but never really seemed like Star Trek to me. I don't mean Star Trek TOS I mean Star Trek in general and the same goes for Star Trek: Lost in Space..... I mean Voyager.... the least interesting of all the series. Paramount should have fired those two right after DS9 and brought in some new blood with fresh ideas.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-02-2009, 04:11 PM
thanis thanis is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 92
Default

That is easy to answer. The timeline would have been restored.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-02-2009, 04:20 PM
chator's Avatar
chator chator is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlin' Wolf View Post
Brannon and Braga shot their wad on The Next Generation and they can thank Roddenberry for getting them started in the right direction. Their next biggest success was DS9 and while I liked the show okay I'm one of the blasphemous ones who believes the idea for it wasn't theirs. Enterprise spouted the lingo and fired phasers but never really seemed like Star Trek to me. I don't mean Star Trek TOS I mean Star Trek in general and the same goes for Star Trek: Lost in Space..... I mean Voyager.... the least interesting of all the series. Paramount should have fired those two right after DS9 and brought in some new blood with fresh ideas.
So what do you think of Star Trek (2009)? I really don't follow your reasoning. You liked TNG, and DS9, but not VOY or ENT? For me, TNG, DS9, and VOY are all cut from the same cloth. ENT was an attempt to go back to TOS Trek, and was a logical development from VOY, which also was a Federation-less Trek. I think of ENT as a mid-way between VOY and TOS. But with the exception of early TNG, this is all Berman-Trek.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-02-2009, 05:00 PM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

I think you would have seen a movie very similar to Nemesis honestly. The old crew had run out of ideas.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:11 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.