The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Forget Jurassic Park -- What About Dragons?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Banned

Cool Forget Jurassic Park -- What About Dragons?

In less than a century, we're going to have the genetic technology to create pretty much anything we want. People say we could re-create dinosaurs, but I say, what about dragons?

If some billionaire (or trillionaire, as the case may be, in the future) wanted to create a zoo full of dragons or other exotic creatures, what would you think of that? Wouldn't that be the ultimate zoo attraction?

Dragons that actually flew and breathed fire. Maybe that could be bigger than they were in mythology -- Godzilla-sized, even. Would you support that, or go see them?

The sky's (not) the limit!
Old 06-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Captain

Sure, why not? A giant sauropode capable of breathing fire. What could possibly go wrong?
Old 06-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Federation Councillor

I'd advise watching 'Reign of Fire' to see how that might work out.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Banned

Sure, but it is precisely BECAUSE we've been forewarned by Reign of Fire that nothing could go wrong.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Ensign

I love sauropods. And we'd finally know if they crack their tails like whips. Seriously, if someone created a zoo with dinosaurs, it would be the most popular attraction in the world. Security would be a huge problem though - how do you keep them inside? Most of these things were enormous, much much bigger than elephants.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Pau View Post
I love sauropods. And we'd finally know if they crack their tails like whips. Seriously, if someone created a zoo with dinosaurs, it would be the most popular attraction in the world. Security would be a huge problem though - how do you keep them inside? Most of these things were enormous, much much bigger than elephants.
They would probably consider Jurassic Park instructive as to what pitfalls to avoid.

I think that any type of flying dinosaur -- of which there were actual ones in prehistory -- would pose some real challenges. We have difficulties keeping birds in aviaries; imagine if you had to keep a ten-ton flying dinosaur confined somewhere, somehow.

Especially if it breathed fire!
Old 06-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Fleet Admiral

And where do we get dragon DNA?

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 06-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Ensign

I would recreate an island of hot chicks. Now that would sell some tickets.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer View Post
They would probably consider Jurassic Park instructive as to what pitfalls to avoid.

I think that any type of flying dinosaur -- of which there were actual ones in prehistory -- would pose some real challenges. We have difficulties keeping birds in aviaries; imagine if you had to keep a ten-ton flying dinosaur confined somewhere, somehow.

Especially if it breathed fire!
flying dinosaur, do you mean pterydactles(sp)? If so, THEY ARE NOT DINOSAURS!!!I should know, I did a science project on them in 5th grade, and I did use reliable sources. While pterydactles and dinosaurs are both reptiles, they are NOT one and the same. It would be like comparing rats and bats. While they are both mammals, they are not the same family
Old 06-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Commander

There are creatures that have gone extinct pretty much without humanity even being aware of them, but dragons are not one of them. There are quite a few ancient and medieval documented cases of encounters with them. There is even one recorded event that describes one being captured and shown chained up at a yearly fair in a medieval European town, they nicknamed the captured creature "Old Snap", I believe. In old Welsh documents there are descriptions of small, colorful dragons that were capable of some form of either gliding or outright flight, but these animals were probably rendered extinct by human fear and superstition. There are several instances of such creatures having unfortunate (for the dragon) encounters with Knights, at least one Roman Legion, Christian Saints, and angry, fearful mobs of pitchfork and torch weilding townsfolk. We humans sometimes freak out and rush to judgement and destroy things simply because we don't really understand them. And sometimes we have to destroy some things because they actually do become a threat to our lives and those of our loved ones. Take your pick about dragons, but one way or the other, the legend of all legends no longer darkens our skies with it's leathery wings, steals our livestock, burns our crops or eats our virginal teenage womenfolk, nor can we any longer behold their beauty, majestic bearing, or behold them in awe inspiring flight. Good, bad, or indifferent they're gone forever, if they ever existed at all.